Alternative to olive oil?

Options
What's a healthy oil I could use to roast my vegetables in substitution for olive oil?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    What's a healthy oil I could use to roast my vegetables in substitution for olive oil?

I think it will depend on how you define healthy and what you'd prefer to avoid with olive oil. Since all oils are fats, they're pretty equivalent in calories and macros.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    To cook onions down you can use water and a tephlon pan.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You may have to experiment. I'm able to find some of the monounsaturated and polyunsaturated oils at my local big box retailer but a nearby specialty retailer will have a much wider variety. This is a subjective decision for you.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    As far as healthy oils go, Olive, Coconut (refined has no flavor and unrefined has a coconut flavor) , Avocado ...expensive, but yummy. There might be a couple of others, but calorie wise they are all equal
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If it's calories you're worried about - purchase a mister. You can use roast veggies with very little oil. As others have said oil is oil they're going to be pretty comparable in nutrition and calories. I prefer olive oil myself.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Why are you under the impression that Olive Oil is a less healthy option than other oils?

I have only heard that olive oil is a particularly healthy oil rather than the opposite.

In terms of calories, oil is oil. 1g=9 calories, they are all the same. If you want to reduce calories, use less of it, or use a product that is emulsified with water (or emulsify it yourself with vinegar, etc.).
  • EddieP50
    EddieP50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    An information handout that my doctor gave me showed to use plant based unsaturated vegetable oils such as sunflower, corn, soybean, canola, peanut and olive oils. It stated to avoid coconut oil and palm oil because they are high in saturated fat.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I like sunflower oil. I would buy peanut oil but it's always expensive. but to be honest I usually just end up getting canola because I'm poor as *kitten*.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    im italian and get olive oil imported. Its very healthy and use it wveryday. However I dont use it too cook due to its low smoke point (my preference u can use it to cook) i use ghee (clarified butter) to cook with.
  • CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I water saute veggies.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    they also have sesame seed oil dont know how good it is or how healthy but its a bit pricey. there also is grapeseed oil too.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I use peanut oil or a canola cooking spray.
  • jwillmert
    jwillmert Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Almond oil
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil, red palm oil, tallow, or lard mostly, since I don't like to heat olive oil. Olive oil is perfectly healthy for cold-prepped items like salad dressings, though. As far as calories go, they're all the same. But you need healthy fats in your diet, so they're worth budgeting into your deficit.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    At $25/bottle I'm not able to be an eat local snob. https://texashillcountryoliveco.com/products/award-winning-combo-pack
  • neilmoomey
    neilmoomey Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think olive or coconut oil in moderation is fine.
  • BeCali
    BeCali Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Look for thrive. It's a new algae oil that has a very high smoke point do good for roasting. It has been voted the healthiest cooking oil by American heart association. Think they sell it at Amazon or at http://www.thrivealgae.com/

This is the only oil I cook with now. I use it in dressings, marinades, roasting, stir frys and even baking.
  • LittleOneLoveLife
    LittleOneLoveLife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    As long as you count it, olive oil I believe is fine, you need some fat in your diet :smile:
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I saute my veggies in i can't believe its not butter. Only 45-60 cals per Table spoon and i usually only use 1.5 tea spoons which would only be 30-40 ish calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think we need to know what OP's problem with olive oil is to be able to give alternatives.