Should I do steady state cardio if I'm planning on hvung

A big meal out tonight where I'm likely to go over my daily allowance significantly? I lift 4 days a week and do a short hiit session twice a week after lifting. My goal is to shed fat so I'm eating at a deficit.

There's a movie I want to watch peace before my girls wake up and thought I could do liss on the elliptical for 90 min and kill 2 birds with one stone. I will be eating out tonight so going over on calories. This won't affect body gains will it? Reading stuff on Google has scared me lol

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    This won't affect body gains will it? Reading stuff on Google has scared me lol

You've been reading knuckledragger stes, haven't you...

big mistake
  • halimaiqbal00
    halimaiqbal00 Posts: 288 Member
    I'm sorry, what?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Knuckledraggers - The type of person who's going to tell you that cardio is going to cause you to lose muscle
  • halimaiqbal00
    halimaiqbal00 Posts: 288 Member
    Ah so that's what they're called lol. Yes, I have been. I'm assuming that's bs then?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Ah so that's what they're called lol. Yes, I have been. I'm assuming that's bs then?

Mostly, BS.

Are you a bodybuilder prepping for a comp? Not BS.
    Are you a normal person with a bit of body fat working hard to recomp? Total BS.

At very low body fat % or very high lean mass volume extensive cardio will have an effect - related protein breakdown and availability plus some hormonal shifts.

Probably not important for the general population.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Increasing calories out when trying to gain muscle will slow down, or even stop that muscle gain. But that is irrelevant to you since you are not trying to gain muscle but instead lose fat. The extra cardio work will help you not hinder you in this respect.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I cycled 100 miles and all my muscles fell off - true story.....

(Not.)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited May 2016
    In my opinion, i'd rather just fast that day if i know i'm going out for dinner that way i know i can eat whatever i want (within reason) without feeling bad about it. I prefer not to try and out-exercise calories (although, obviously it can be done) simply because i don't trust myself to actually burn the amount needed in a session.

So, i might be like "yeah! i'll just burn some extra cals!" and 45 minutes in i usually say "*kitten* this". LOL

p.s. no, i wouldn't worry about your gains.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    People who worry about cardio melting their muscles off probably either: a) haven't done much cardio and believe what they read on forums; or: b) they did a bunch of cardio and didn't eat to fuel it properly and put themselves in too steep a deficit.