How to adjust calories for maintaining?

Options
ralostaz2000
ralostaz2000 Posts: 135 Member
edited May 2016 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I still have 6 pounds to reach my goal.And I have no idea about maintenance things and calories and how to start adjusting them after reaching goals.
Should I just set my daily calorie to TDEE? Or I have to do this gradually? And if it is gradual...what is the best rate to do it?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Do a trial in your MFP by changing your goal to maintain. Then you will know the calories you will need once you get there.

If it is a few hundred difference go up each week by 100-150 cals watching the scale as you go. A small increase should be expected as you will have a water increase and more food being digested, this isn't fat, just bodily functions.

If you are exercising on a regular basis and plan to do so into the foreseeable future going the TDEE route will work too.

Cheers, h.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I went to losing at a rate of .5 per week the last few weeks to goal. It was a good idea. Then I had time to make smaller upward adjustments, after I hit goal. Started out being "afraid" to eat maintenance level calories. I got over it, though. If you think about weekly averages in maintenance, you can eat like you are now, and not worry about the weekend indulgences, maybe? As long as you're not hitting a slippery slope. Which does happen for me, here and there, but I'm staying with it!!!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I still have 6 pounds to reach my goal.And I have no idea about maintenance things and calories and how to start adjusting them after reaching goals.
    Should I just set my daily calorie to TDEE? Or I have to do this gradually? And if it is gradual...what is the best rate to do it?

Are you doing the TDEE method rather than the MFP method? If so you will have to get your TDEE from another site and manually adjust rather than just setting "maintain current weight" in the guided set up as that would assume you would be eating back exercise calories.

From a PC....
    Home / Goals / Edit Daily Nutrition Goals.

Have a read through the various threads in this forum - there is no one right way for everyone.
    'Probably' most people slow down their rate of loss close to goal and then walk up their calories slowly over a number of weeks once they reach goal.
  • ralostaz2000
    Options
    Dootzy1 wrote: »
    I went to losing at a rate of .5 per week the last few weeks to goal. It was a good idea. Then I had time to make smaller upward adjustments, after I hit goal. Started out being "afraid" to eat maintenance level calories. I got over it, though. If you think about weekly averages in maintenance, you can eat like you are now, and not worry about the weekend indulgences, maybe? As long as you're not hitting a slippery slope. Which does happen for me, here and there, but I'm staying with it!!!
    That's great...so u started gradulayy increasing calories till TDEE...and hoarding caloried during week days is a good idea to celebrate the weekends...
    cheers
  • ralostaz2000
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Are you doing the TDEE method rather than the MFP method? If so you will have to get your TDEE from another site and manually adjust rather than just setting "maintain current weight" in the guided set up as that would assume you would be eating back exercise calories.

From a PC....

Have a read through the various threads in this forum - there is no one right way for everyone.
    'Probably' most people slow down their rate of loss close to goal and then walk up their calories slowly over a number of weeks once they reach goal.
    Thank u ..that was a good explanation. .I will use MFP "maintain current weight" which gave me a TDEE of 1820...and I think it is low as I chose sedentary
  • sijomial
    Options

From a PC....

Thank u ..that was a good explanation. .I will use MFP "maintain current weight" which gave me a TDEE of 1820...and I think it is low as I chose sedentary

NO!! :)

My point is MFP does not give you a TDEE goal.

MFP intends you to add and eat back exercise calories, TDEE calculators already include average exercise calories.

So your MFP goal is actually 1820 + exercise calories and not just 1820.
    That's probably why it seemed low.

• ralostaz2000
    Options

From a PC....

MFP intends you to add and eat back exercise calories, TDEE calculators already include average exercise calories.

What If i am not exercising?
    Do u recommend a good TDEE calculator?

• sijomial
    Options

From a PC....

If not exercising then MFP goal is fine. But are you really not exercising? Not ever?

If sporadic or infrequent exercise then the MFP method would be superior anyway.

• ralostaz2000
    Options

From a PC....

If not exercising then MFP goal is fine. But are you really not exercising? Not ever?

If sporadic or infrequent exercise then the MFP method would be superior anyway.

Yes ...It is sporadic...my time is squeezed...big family big house...But now I am only doing rope skipping which I love...but not more than an hour a week...so cosidered sedentary anyways...unless doing all house work...walk alot in the mall when I have the chabce and also if i want to consider my setting hours per day i will not exceed 3 hours + 9 hours sleeping..so mostly I am on my feet.

will try to use MPF as u recommnded and see how fluctuations will go.

Thanks for ur expert replies
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I am 8 pounds away from goal and I have set my goal to lose 1/2 pound a week. Weight loss is going very slow. My concern is that I am still eating with a large deficit. I guess a months worth of data will even everything out with highs and lows.
  • sijomial
    Options
    llbrixon wrote: »
    I am 8 pounds away from goal and I have set my goal to lose 1/2 pound a week. Weight loss is going very slow. My concern is that I am still eating with a large deficit. I guess a months worth of data will even everything out with highs and lows.

@llbrixon
    The two bold sentences are contradictory.
    Your food logging is full of cups used for completely inappropriate foods - that's a dreadfully inaccurate way to estimate calories.
    If you want more accuracy (it's not actually compulsory!) then ditch cups and spoons and weigh your food.

Focus on the actual results you get "very slow" rather than a theoretical "large deficit".
  • ralostaz2000
    Options
    llbrixon wrote: »

@llbrixon
    The two bold sentences are contradictory.
    Your food logging is full of cups used for completely inappropriate foods - that's a dreadfully inaccurate way to estimate calories.
    If you want more accuracy (it's not actually compulsory!) then ditch cups and spoons and weigh your food.

Focus on the actual results you get "very slow" rather than a theoretical "large deficit".
    @llbrixon
    @sijomial is totally right....when I first didn't have a scale or a dial scale that's it..I was weighing same as u...but When I had my digital scale ...quantites really changed and I got mote mindful of quantities and type of food.
    try that maybe u'll see some changes .