My story... What's yours?

Options
DaceyG1990
DaceyG1990 Posts: 103 Member
edited May 2016 in Introduce Yourself
Hello all,

This is going to be a longish post please read to the end (if you have time) feel free friend me.

My name is Dacey, I've recently lost 76lbs. My story doesn't start off with me being upset and struggling with my weight. On the contrary when I was at my highest of 238 pounds I was happy had plenty of friends and was enjoying life. I didn't look at pictures being disgusted with myself. I was one of the lucky ones who love myself no matter what.

I started to lose weight about a year and a half ago. When I started this journey it wasn't because I wanted to lose weight. It was because I wanted to be on American ninja warrior (if you don't know the show look it up it's amazing). The show is physically demanding and I knew it was not possible for me to get on the show without making changes to my diet and physicality.

It wasn't until I started dropping the weight that I realize how unhealthy I was before.
Although I was happy I wasn't healthy. Fried and greasy foods were my life. I could possibly eat a whole box of pizza every day if I had the money to do so.

I've had asthma all my life and it was at its worst when I was at my heaviest. Now my asthma seems to be under control I can walk up steps without breathing heavily my skin has cleared up and I personally feel fantastic not only outside but inside.

I had a gym membership for about four years 4 1/2 which I had before my journey to be an American ninja warrior. And of those four years I went to the gym maybe 20 times. Therefore when I got serious about reaching my goals I knew the gym wasn't going to help me. Late at night I listening to one of those stupid infomercials that we all know and hate. I was one of those people impulsively bought a home workout DVD.

For the past year and a half I only work out from home using different DVDs or things I find on YouTube. That is how I lost 76 pounds. And the one and a half years I have my struggles I actually lost 86 pounds and then got comfortable and gained 10 pounds back. I am currently back on my game and ready to continue my journey.

I'm writing this to let you know that everyone is different and have different starting points. I know people who have lost weight by going to the gym every other day. I know other people who have lost weight by walking for an hour everyday . I know some people who don't like to exercise at all and just changed their eating habits.

The point of this long story is that you have to find what makes you happy. You have to find what works for you. We are all different, we all have struggles. Everyone has to start from somewhere.

Where will you/did you start??

dc32ztdjnm1c.jpeg
duy59954qhb6.jpeg

Replies

• IdrissaBoo
    IdrissaBoo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    U GO GIRL!! U look FANTABULOUS!! Thanks for sharing your story. Everyone is different. What motivates each of us is different. Our DIFFERENCES make the world more interesting. I applaud u. Keep up the good work. I too am a Beachbody girl from WAAAY back. They work. Anything works if u stick to it. U have done so. Great job! I am looking to lose 20lbs. So far so good. Add me. Would love your motivation..Can't do many exercises due to a pending hip replacement...but pushing fwd in spite of...
  • FauxFawkes
    FauxFawkes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! I love your story and you are gorgeous in all your photos!!! Love the message. Keep on rocking :)
  • himilayaneyes
    himilayaneyes Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Wow. Ninja warrior now that's a goal. Love watching that show. I do think I'm too lazy right now to train that hardcore though. :)
  • Etsar73
    Etsar73 Posts: 260 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Your story just put the biggest smile on my face :smile: Congrats on getting your health back! I especially love what you said about everybody having their own journey. Weightless always come down to calorie deficit but how you get there is different for everyone. There is no 'one shoe fits all' approach because we are coming at it from different places.

My story is long, complicated and too personal (I get emotional) to talk about on here in depth. Unlike you I was never confident because I suffered severe social and generalised anxiety my whole life. I was thin as a child, teenager and young adult... I only put on weight when I hit 30 or so. I started eating my feelings for the first time in my life. It hurts me to say this but a big part of my trouble in losing weight was that I didn't think I was worth it because I knew I wasn't happy regardless of my weight. I am much better now by way of my anxiety (still have it but much better able to deal with it). I just didn't know how to lose the weight at that point, I tried everything and failed. It was only through my discovery of calorie counting that weightloss made sense and had personal meaning to me. I had something to work with other than 'eat this and don't eat that' diet talk. I am still on my journey, both my weightloss and personal journey. I have lost 16kg and have 7kg more to go. I am worth it :smile:
  • DaceyG1990
    DaceyG1990 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies you are all AMAZING!!
  • Nerakhate
    Nerakhate Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Congrats Chica! I'm so impressed about your wanting to be on ANW. I was totally thin before having kids (and I thought I was out of shape then at 114 pounds). I put on 74 pounds by the end of my second pregnancy. I've trimmed back at least 50 pounds and have at least 10 more pounds to go. My vanity goal is a single digit jeans size. My health goal is to have more energy. My mental health goal is to feel comfortable in my own skin. You seem to already have that :)
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    WOW! Kudos to you. You look fantastic and clearly feel fantastic. What an inspiration you are!!