heart rate monitors!

Options
hey all,
i bought a polar ft4 and i'm excited to see how it works, but i fear the strap will be uncomfortable and may get in my way during my yoga practice. does anyone know of an accurate, less intrusive heart rate monitor?

Replies

• MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Im no yoga expert but....Isnt yoga supposed to relieve stress and calm you? so wouldn't your heart rate get lower and become more stable? Why wear a HRM for yoga? Am I missing something?
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Have you tried it? I put it under my bra and I've never had any problems with it.
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    I forget I'm wearing my HRM during most workouts. I think as soon as you get used to it, you won't even know it's there!
  • sjackson902
    sjackson902 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I agree with Desirai. I don't even notice the strap.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar HRM with the strap and its comfortable, not a problem at all
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Im no yoga expert but....Isnt yoga supposed to relieve stress and calm you? so wouldn't your heart rate get lower and become more stable? Why wear a HRM for yoga? Am I missing something?

You still sweat your *kitten* off during yoga.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    hey all,
    i bought a polar ft4 and i'm excited to see how it works, but i fear the strap will be uncomfortable and may get in my way during my yoga practice. does anyone know of an accurate, less intrusive heart rate monitor?

You'll never even notice it's on.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    The less intrusive ones would be the ones that don't have a strap.. and those are not accurate at all.

I'm sure your strap will be fine.. besides it sounds like you haven't even tried it yet, so why are you looking for another one already?
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options

well in addition to its calming/grounding effects, yoga also can burn major calories (depending on the type of practice). Bikram, heated power/flow, both can be very intense. i would love to know a more accurate burn for my practices!
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Have you tried it? I put it under my bra and I've never had any problems with it.

I do the same. I have the Polar FT7, so I assume the straps are just about the same. It doesn't bug me and I just forget that it's there.
  • keepcalmandnamaste
    Options
    wearing it underneath clothing sounds like it'll definitely help, and it's good to hear all the positive experiences. thanks, all!
    and yeah, i do vinyasa & power yoga, so i'm sweating like crazy throughout class - can't wait to figure out how many calories i burn!
  • CoconutChia
    Options
    I have a Polar FT60 and the strap irritates my side from time to time. It's only on the side where you clasp the strap together. It rubs my skin raw and I get big red welts on my sides. Attractive huh!? I truly love my HRM and I can't workout without it. I will try moving the strap up under my sports bra tomorrow.