Alternative to olive oil?

Options
2»

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think we need to know what OP's problem with olive oil is to be able to give alternatives.

This.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    BeCali wrote: »
    Look for thrive. It's a new algae oil that has a very high smoke point do good for roasting. It has been voted the healthiest cooking oil by American heart association. Think they sell it at Amazon or at http://www.thrivealgae.com/

This is the only oil I cook with now. I use it in dressings, marinades, roasting, stir frys and even baking.

@BeCali what is the flavor like?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Butter. But some vegetables call for olive oil, there's no way around it.
  • gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    i use rapeseed oil. don't know how available that is in the USA though.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    We use grapeseed oil and love it. Fairly high smoke point and almost totally flavorless so it doesn't change the flavor if the dish. I still prefer olive for oven roasting, but we use grapeseed for most pan cooking.
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong or "unhealthy" about olive oil. What is your issue with it?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    gillie80 wrote: »
    i use rapeseed oil. don't know how available that is in the USA though.

In US and Canada it's called canola oil.

I use either canola or olive oil, depending on what's in the house.
  • CrossfitOCRunner
    CrossfitOCRunner Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My all-time favorite oil is macadamia oil. I also use copious amounts of coconut fat (solid at room temperature), avocado oil and grapeseed oil. EVOO is actually a little lower on my list, but definitely still in the rotation. The oils I use generally depend on the cooking temperature or if a specific flavor profile is needed. I also use ghee and grassfed butter on occasion. macadamia oil tastes most like butter, so its a good substitute in those situations as well. like with eggs, EVOO is nasty on eggs. I hope this helps!
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I use safflower oil- I think it has to be the monounsaturated kind if you're using it for cooking.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think we need to know what OP's problem with olive oil is to be able to give alternatives.

Yep. Still waiting. But at least the OP will have a ton of different options to research when they come back?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Look for thrive. It's a new algae oil that has a very high smoke point do good for roasting. It has been voted the healthiest cooking oil by American heart association. Think they sell it at Amazon or at http://www.thrivealgae.com/

This is the only oil I cook with now. I use it in dressings, marinades, roasting, stir frys and even baking.

That is interesting. I just started using a powder form for the omega 3 fat and minerals and learned they are using algae oil for bio diesel fuel now.

• BeCali
    BeCali Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

@BeCali what is the flavor like?

@auddii Very mild flavor. Actually no distinguishable flavor at all. Which makes is great in marinades and dressings as the other flavors stand out more.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    coconut oil is the best for the price as long as you get your omega 3s from other foods or supplements.
  • Brithicks
    Brithicks Posts: 148 Member
    Options

Depends on why you are wanting to avoid olive oil.. I use olive for cold prep like dressings or to finish a food before serving. I use grapeseed and avocado and coconut oils for cooking and roasting. I also use ghee for cooking as well
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is perfectly healthy.

I roast a HUGE amount of veggies for my SO and I -- 2tsp olive oil over a ton of asparagus, or up to 1tbsp over 300g or more of broccoli florets, etc. Adds some healthy fat and tastes amazing, and the calories aren't THAT bad.

For frying veggies, I use soy sauce mixed with rice vinegar and close the lid. It essentially steams them, and tastes amazing, without any oils or butter.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Duck fat.