What would you mark for dry sauna?

Options
I was using a dry sauna today for about 20 minutes and I was looking to add it in my exercise log but there is nothing that I can log it under. What do I do here hmmm?

Replies

• sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Im pretty sure its because your just sitting there sweating not raising your heart beat. And as soon as you drink water you will just be replenishing what you sweat out
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/298021-how-many-calories-does-sitting-in-a-dry-sauna-burn/

Sitting in a dry sauna will burn little to no calories. Saunas cause weight loss through sweating. This type of weight loss does not affect fat tissue.
  • charlihess
    charlihess Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow ! Thanks everyone. :D
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log it! If only exercise were as easy as sitting in a sauna!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Make sure you shower right after the dry heat sauna, or your body will reabsorbe this icky toxins!

Icky toxinz!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Fitness Blender gives a 185 pound man 63-84 calories for 30 minutes........but he would have burned 42 by sitting around doing nothing (activity level).

https://www.fitnessblender.com/blog/can-you-lose-weight-in-a-sauna-calories-burned-in-sauna
  • leahgoldgirl
    leahgoldgirl Posts: 61 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You don't. You might burn a few extra calories in a sauna, but not enough to be significant, or count as exercise.

Heck, come to think of it, the sauna might actually slow your metabolism, as your body no longer has to work to heat itself.

Also, all this talk of a dry sauna "getting rid of toxins"... wow, seriously? No. Your liver gets rid of toxins. Dry saunas and juice cleanses do not get rid of toxins. Please do not believe this useless, harmful crap. Just continue to eat as well as you are able, and get an ample amount of exercise. Don't go looking for miracle shortcuts to health, such as dry saunas.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    XanderWiFi wrote: »
    I respectfully disagree. Though I would not put it as an exercise, you would burn more calories as your body would be working to cool itself. Moreso on the other end of the spectrum, if you were freezing, the shivering would burn many more calories. Any time your body is in a stress state it will utilize more energy to stabilize itself. A workout? Maybe if you push it to the point of dying, but not so much for what you are using it for.

In the short term, you will lose water weight that you will need to replenish. However, it will not equate to fat burning when used alone.

Thermodynamics would disagree with you here. Your body is attempting to shed heat. Not generate it. Burning calories generates heat. Sweating is the opposite.

Sitting in a sauna would *technically* slightly reduce your metabolism for the time you are in there since your body doesn't need to generate its own heat.

Maybe sitting in a sauna should be logged in as positive calories in that sense.

Because SCIENCE!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    XanderWiFi wrote: »
    I respectfully disagree. Though I would not put it as an exercise, you would burn more calories as your body would be working to cool itself. Moreso on the other end of the spectrum, if you were freezing, the shivering would burn many more calories. Any time your body is in a stress state it will utilize more energy to stabilize itself. A workout? Maybe if you push it to the point of dying, but not so much for what you are using it for.

In the short term, you will lose water weight that you will need to replenish. However, it will not equate to fat burning when used alone.

Not compared to exercise. Slightly more calories would be more appropriate , certainly not enough that would could suggest as exercise.