Anxiety and talking on the phone?

Options
actualbettycrocker
actualbettycrocker Posts: 195 Member
Does anybody else have any tips for talking on the phone when you have really bad anxiety but can't go see anybody right now to deal with it?

I just made a phone call to cancel an appointment and I felt like I was about to faint.

Replies

• jenovatrix
    jenovatrix Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Maybe write out what you want to talk about so you don't get flustered. Keep it short and simple.

Ask if they have email or text contact info so hopefully you won't have to get on the phone again.

Try Zoloft (I kid, kinda...helps me with my anxiety)

- signed, someone who worked in a call center for 4 years and now loathes the phone.
  • Vickilick
    Vickilick Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If I can I always make phone calls away from other people so I can concentrate.
    Im pretty confident on the phone but I'll write down what I want to say before hand too. Sometimes I even practice saying it aloud before I call.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I rarely talk on the phone. If I am the only one in the house and it rings, I will answer "This is Mike." That's the incoming caller's cue to get to the point. Not a chatter. If you want to chat, come on over. I'll make some cocktails and we can converse.
  • actualbettycrocker
    actualbettycrocker Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    jenovatrix wrote: »
    Maybe write out what you want to talk about so you don't get flustered. Keep it short and simple.

Ask if they have email or text contact info so hopefully you won't have to get on the phone again.

- signed, someone who worked in a call center for 4 years and now loathes the phone.

Thanks I think I'll try that first two things I usually end up stuttering a lot and forget what i was gonna say.

I took Zoloft for a couple of years I had a pretty bad reaction to it I'm hoping down the line I can find something better.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I hate talking on the phone to someone I don't know about anything that I'm not sure about how the conversation will go.
  • Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    jenovatrix wrote: »

I second this. I'm on Prozac but starting to wean myself off of it after about 3 years.
    It's one of those things where if you think about it too much you start to psych yourself out.
    It's not something you really grow out of it, you just learn to manage it over time...usually.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I am very much like this... have been for a long time so i've learn to email, write letters, and generally get someone else to do it - lol (not much help there I know)
    A few drinks beforehand sometimes helps - depends who you are calling...!
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I hate talking on the phone, but it doesn't give me anxiety or anything anymore. I'm actually pretty confident now and very outspoken, without any concern for how my words might be construed.

My cure: lots of phone calls (practice, if you will) and age (experience).

I recently got a message on LinkedIn where a new connection (stranger) wanted to set up a phone call just to talk...it was odd, but seeing as how this person doesn't have any affect on my life/career, I figure a.) if I blow the call or she blows it, I can always hang up and never have to talk/see her again or b.) maybe we'll instantly click on the phone and I've made a new gal pal. Nothing will ever change if you don't take a chance. ;)

• clairelouisekaa
    clairelouisekaa Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Part of my job involves alot of talking on the phone - the most important thing is to know what you want to say xx think it over before you make a call - just remember no-one is perfect just breathe and try and stay calm xx :)
  • Insert_Catchy_Username
    Insert_Catchy_Username Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Wow. I suddenly don't feel so alone. I have always hated this. I make calls in private except for work when I can't.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    I always leave the office if I can for calls or do them when no one else is in the office. Makes it a little easier.