The emotional up & downs of the weight loss journey

Options
2»

Replies

• lasirena624
    lasirena624 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Great message, weight loss is not linear -there will be ups and downs. It can take patience and trouble shooting when things stall to get results.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Lovely message! My only "criticism" would be that your example didn't show any actual "ups" (only weeks where person X didn't lose or gain). The reality is, even when you are doing everything "right" you may see small (and temporary) gains on the scale - water retention, TOM, a strenuous workout, etc all influence that number. Here's my actual weight loss from six weeks postpartum to eighteen weeks postpartum:

6 weeks PP: 166.4
    7 weeks PP: 162.6
    8 weeks PP: 163.6
    9 weeks PP: 163.0
    10 weeks PP: 161.6
    11 weeks PP: 161.0
    12 weeks PP: 160.0
    13 weeks: 160.4
    14 weeks: 159.6
    15 weeks: 158.8
    16 weeks : 158.8
    17 weeks: 159.0
    18 weeks: 158.4

Overall in those twelve weeks I lost 8 lbs (not bad for someone who was already pretty close to goal). But it was most defiantly not linear, some weeks having slight gains, but still averaging just over the half lb per week that is an appropriate target when you have less than 20 lbs to lose. Those weeks when my weight remained unchanged, or worse, when I "regained" a pound or so, we're frustrating, but I could still see the downward trend, and that's what really matters :)
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    And here I am, now back in the "don't weigh" group. I just can't figure out what's best for me. I thought I wanted all that data, but I just can't separate the number from my perceived success or failure. I can understand that it's water or new exercise or whatever, but it's still so emotionally charged.

I asked my husband to hide the scale and I hope by ditching it for a time I can just focus on the process instead of the results. I don't get to have those right away, I need to be consistent for a length of time before I will see results. Aiming for consistent effort for now!
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    This is an AWESOME post. Love the inner dialogue, it's so true!
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Very interesting and perceptive, I feel you original poster. Also I prefer "weight loss voyage" to "weight loss journey".
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yup, unfortunately too many people just drown in the minutia and never really see the bigger picture. To that end, I would add that part of the bigger picture is understanding that the number on the scale isn't the be all and end all...there are other things going on when you're rockin' your nutrition and your fitness...too many people see this arbitrary number on the scale as the only measure of success or failure and they forget about the other benefits that are coming from living a more healthful lifestyle. Ultimately when you do the things that healthy, lean, and fit people do, good things happen...it just takes time.
  • MynameisChester
    MynameisChester Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I love how you used 12 weeks! IMO I think that is the most appropriate time frame to see significant changes in their composition. I think 1 month is too short and beyond 3 months might seem overwhelming at first. Instead I like breaking goals into 3 month intervals. Instead of saying' "OMG! I have to lose 45 pounds!" Just say, "I just need to drop 15 pounds 3 times or 10 pounds 4 times and address the 5 pounds after." Just like anything in life, i believe breaking down large overwhelming goals into multiple short manageable goals increases your chances of success. Thanks for posting this!
  • NasMax
    NasMax Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    Lovely message! My only "criticism" would be that your example didn't show any actual "ups" (only weeks where person X didn't lose or gain). The reality is, even when you are doing everything "right" you may see small (and temporary) gains on the scale - water retention, TOM, a strenuous workout, etc all influence that number. Here's my actual weight loss from six weeks postpartum to eighteen weeks postpartum:

6 weeks PP: 166.4
    7 weeks PP: 162.6
    8 weeks PP: 163.6
    9 weeks PP: 163.0
    10 weeks PP: 161.6
    11 weeks PP: 161.0
    12 weeks PP: 160.0
    13 weeks: 160.4
    14 weeks: 159.6
    15 weeks: 158.8
    16 weeks : 158.8
    17 weeks: 159.0
    18 weeks: 158.4

Overall in those twelve weeks I lost 8 lbs (not bad for someone who was already pretty close to goal). But it was most defiantly not linear, some weeks having slight gains, but still averaging just over the half lb per week that is an appropriate target when you have less than 20 lbs to lose. Those weeks when my weight remained unchanged, or worse, when I "regained" a pound or so, we're frustrating, but I could still see the downward trend, and that's what really matters :)

yep, completely agree! :smile:
  • NasMax
    edited May 2016
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    And here I am, now back in the "don't weigh" group. I just can't figure out what's best for me. I thought I wanted all that data, but I just can't separate the number from my perceived success or failure. I can understand that it's water or new exercise or whatever, but it's still so emotionally charged.

I asked my husband to hide the scale and I hope by ditching it for a time I can just focus on the process instead of the results. I don't get to have those right away, I need to be consistent for a length of time before I will see results. Aiming for consistent effort for now!

completely understand... myself I prefer to use the data as it will then tell me what I need to do & what changes/adjustments to make going forward, rather than hiding from the data & hoping for the best to only find out weeks later that I've been headed in the wrong direction.

It's not for everyone, but form myself I use it as a constant data stream to stay on course & adjust on the fly where need be :smile:
  • Daddybear41
    Daddybear41 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    NasMax wrote: »
    So.. let’s take a quick look at an example of a long term trend & how most people feel during (if they don’t quit before the end that is)

lets use 12 weeks for an example:

For this example, we’re going to say that the target is just 1lb per week, and we’re weighing ourselves every day, then taking the average weight for the week for week to week comparisions.

WEEK 1: Weight is up & down every day (due to normal changes in water weight), and the end of week avg is 200lbs

WEEK 2: As always, weight is up & down everyday, and the end of week avg is 198lbs.

( Self talk – “That’s a 2lb drop from last week, yay!!!” )

WEEK 3: As always, weight is up & down everyday, and the end of week avg is again 198lbs.

( Self talk – “No change this week, BOOOO!!” )

WEEK 4: As always, weight is up & down everyday, and the end of week avg is 197lbs

( Self talk – “Only 1lb loss, that’s ok-ish”)

WEEK 5: As always, weight is up & down everyday, and the end of week avg is 196lbs

(Self talk – that’s another 1lbs,… I’m happy with that! )

WEEK 6: As always, weight is up & down everyday, and the end of week avg is 196lbs

(Self talk – no change, I’m doing something wrong, its not working, I might quit if it doesn’t work again next week!)

WEEK 7: As always, weight is up & down everyday, and the end of week avg is 194lbs

(Self talk – thats 2lb loss, whoop! I’m happy but I WISH weight loss was more consistent!)

WEEK 8: As always, weight is up & down everyday, and the end of week avg is 193lbs

(Self talk – 1lbs loss, ok I suppose, but I want more, so again I’m privately disappointed)

WEEK 9: As always, weight is up & down everyday, and the end of week avg is 192lbs

(Self talk – only 1lb again, I don’t even look at 1lb as a good achievement anymore at this stage)

WEEK 10: As always, weight is up & down everyday, and the end of week avg is 191.5

(Self talk – Barley any change, definitely something wrong, I’m really pissed off & I’m thinking about quitting)

WEEK 11: As always, weight is up & down everyday, and the end of week avg is 189

(Self talk – That’s a 2.5lb loss, yay! I wish every week was like this! )

WEEK 12: As always, weight is up & down everyday, and the end of week avg is 187

(Self talk – That’s another 2lb loss, awsome, I’m really happy with that! )

Now let’s take a step back from the week to week up & down short term results,
    & let’s look at the long term trend:

Reality = 13lbs of weight loss!

(Self talk – wow I wasn’t looking at the big picture, maybe I should have focused on that and avoided all the stress and up and down emotions… yay!!!)

Unfortunately most people won’t reach the end of their journey, as they’ll get way too caught up on the day to day & week to week results (or rather, DATA) and will quit out of frustration & lack of patience and go looking for something else…. which they won’t finish or stick to… and will spend the rest of their lives repeating this pattern.

Consider this… if it’s taken YEARS of abuse to get your body into it’s current state, you’re not going to undo all those years worth of damage in just a week or two.

PATIENCE! :smile:

I had lost 53 pounds...took almost a year ... have continued on with MyFitnessPal... suddenly, in the last 2 months... have gained 17 pounds back and have NO idea why ... have tried every suggestion... nothing is working and am gaining the pounds I lost back grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... I hate this!!!
  • NasMax
    edited May 2016
    Options
    What changed over the past 2 months? Something must have changed as matter can't be created out of nothing... :/