How I am not losing weight like I used to?

Options
Hi everyone, this is my first post here so I'm sorry if it's a bit messy. So, I've been on a losing weight journey for about 4 months going from 110 kg (242lb) to 96 kg (231lb) in the last three months. But in the last three weeks I've only managed to lose 1kg (2'2lb). I have to say that i started with 135 kg(298lb) about a year ago so I assume now it's much more difficult to lose weight. I'm male, 19 years old, 188 cm. I'm currently eating about 2000 calories a day, divided in 140g of protein,260g of carbs and 40g of fat. I workout 5-6 times a week, about 1 hour of lifts and around 30 min of cardio. Until the last month this was enough to lose around 3-4 kilos a month, but in the last three weeks I only managed to lose 1 kg, I changed my routine in the gym to a harder one and I do 1 hour of cardio in my rest day aswell. I used a TDEE calculator and shows that my BRM is around 2000 cal a day and my TDEE is 3290, so since I'm eating around the lowest amount of calories that I should take, how I'm not cutting weight like I used to? Thanks a lot for reading, any advice will be helpful.

Replies

• pcpop7
    pcpop7 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh everything and log it accurately ? Are you able to open your diary so we may be able to help identify if you have a logging problem ?
  • willworkoutforwine
    willworkoutforwine Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm female and my stats are different, of course, but I ran into a similar issue. I was losing at a consistent rate and then it slowed down. Took me 3 weeks to lose .5lbs and that went on for about 6 weeks. I talked with a health coach at work and she said I wasn't eating enough (I was eating 1200 calories a day, the minimum recommended for women). The theory is that my body adjusted to that and my metabolism slowed down. I increased my calorie intake to 1500 day (or on workout days) and I've lost weight the past 2 weeks since I started that. I am not necessarily advocating that you do the same but talking to a pro might help you figure things out. Good luck!
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    You are getting closer to goal weight (for a 6'2" man, the upper end of normal bmi is about 194 lbs - you have less than 40 lbs to lose now to get to "normal" weight; way to go, btw!!). As you get closer to goal, weight loss tends to slow down. It may not be reasonable to expect much more than a one lb per week loss anymore, and some weeks you will be over that, other weeks you will be under that. If your logging is accurate (and that is a very important "if"), you will continue to lose weight eating 2000 cal per day, just not as quickly as you used to. If it needs it, tighten up your logging. Otherwise, stay the course and be patient.
  • Sergihf
    Sergihf Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    pcpop7 wrote: »
    Do you weigh everything and log it accurately ? Are you able to open your diary so we may be able to help identify if you have a logging problem ?

I opened my diary so you can have an idea of what I eat, I'm not consistent 100% everyday in putting my meals in MFP, but I usualy eat almost the same everyday.
  • Sergihf
    Options
    I'm female and my stats are different, of course, but I ran into a similar issue. I was losing at a consistent rate and then it slowed down. Took me 3 weeks to lose .5lbs and that went on for about 6 weeks. I talked with a health coach at work and she said I wasn't eating enough (I was eating 1200 calories a day, the minimum recommended for women). The theory is that my body adjusted to that and my metabolism slowed down. I increased my calorie intake to 1500 day (or on workout days) and I've lost weight the past 2 weeks since I started that. I am not necessarily advocating that you do the same but talking to a pro might help you figure things out. Good luck!

I thought about this too, because somedays when I skip meals because I'm not hungry or whatever and I end up eating like 1500 calories or less I think to myself "big deficit today, I eat little so I should lose weight" but I forget about the minimum amount of calories that I should be eating, maybe I'm undereating a little for too many days.
  • pcpop7
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I see you have opened your diary and I see a lot of days with nothing logged. Are you intentionally not logging some days ?

Only 7 days I see logged in the last 17 days.
  • Sergihf
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    You are getting closer to goal weight (for a 6'2" man, the upper end of normal bmi is about 194 lbs - you have less than 40 lbs to lose now to get to "normal" weight; way to go, btw!!). As you get closer to goal, weight loss tends to slow down. It may not be reasonable to expect much more than a one lb per week loss anymore, and some weeks you will be over that, other weeks you will be under that. If your logging is accurate (and that is a very important "if"), you will to lose weight eating 2000 cal per day, just not as quickly as you used to. If it needs it, tighten up your logging. Otherwise, stay the course and be patient.

Thanks for the response, I'm not constant in putting my meals in MFP, but the main reason it's because I follow a diet that has almost same meals everyday so I already know how many calories I'm eating. I will try to tight it up a little tho.
  • Sergihf
    Options
    I see you have opened your diary and I see a lot of days with nothing logged. Are you intentionally not logging some days ?

As I just posted in a response, my diet it's almost the same everyday,so with the few days I fully posted everything I already know how many calories I'm eating, that's why I got a little "tired" with logging the same food everyday.
  • pcpop7
    Options
    Sergihf wrote: »

I opened my diary so you can have an idea of what I eat, I'm not consistent 100% everyday in putting my meals in MFP, but I usualy eat almost the same everyday.

I think this might be your problem. You don't know and I don't know what your intake is, so we cannot say with certainty what your deficit is. Tighten up your logging and you weight loss might then meet your expectations more.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Not logging even though you eat pretty much the same things everyday? No.. don't do this. Is there even any days when the logging does not contain some things you may have grabbed from the kitchen fridge or cabinets or food on the counter? Or eaten different lunches or dinners?

If you want to loose weight consistently, you need to work the process consistently. And if you do plataue/stall or something is not right like you are describing, you have data from the food diary and exercise diary to look back on to see what you did on certain days or weeks so that you make changes or alter the plan as needed..

Hense this why we peaked at your diary so we could see your logging, consistency, if you are weighing your food, etc..

• pcpop7
    Options

As I just posted in a response, my diet it's almost the same everyday,so with the few days I fully posted everything I already know how many calories I'm eating, that's why I got a little "tired" with logging the same food everyday.

Yeah I understand. If you are tired of logging the same food every day. Are you weighing it out every time ?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You also got your math a little wrong so your present weight in lb is 211.2, which is sufficiently close to your maintenance that your shrinking calorie deficit has become something that variations in your sodium, exercise, stress, and fiber can temporarily mask your actual weight loss. If you continue your nutrition as is and continue exercising as you are you will continue losing a bit more slowly for the remainder of your journey. Congratulations. You are doing it right.

But you do have to accurately log your food. You can never quit doing that. Ever.
  • Sergihf
    Options

Yeah I understand. If you are tired of logging the same food every day. Are you weighing it out every time ?

Even tho I don't put the meals everyday on MFP, I do weight the food I eat every single day and every single meal I didn't stop doing that since I know is key to weight loss, I see a lot of you putting emphasy in keep putting the meals in the app, so that's the first thing I will do, thanks a lot for the help.
  • Sergihf
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Not logging even though you eat pretty much the same things everyday? No.. don't do this. Is there even any days when the logging does not contain some things you may have grabbed from the kitchen fridge or cabinets or food on the counter? Or eaten different lunches or dinners?

If you want to loose weight consistently, you need to work the process consistently. And if you do plataue/stall or something is not right like you are describing, you have data from the food diary and exercise diary to look back on to see what you did on certain days or weeks so that you make changes or alter the plan as needed..

Hense this why we peaked at your diary so we could see your logging, consistency, if you are weighing your food, etc..

Ok now I understand why it's so important in keeping track of the food even tho I think i eat "the same" everyday, thanks a lot for the help!
  • pcpop7
    Options
    Also look at what other people posted about your stats. I.e getting closer to goal. It might just be having less to lose is gonna take a bit longer. Keep it up.
  • Sergihf
    Options
    You also got your math a little wrong so your present weight in lb is 211.2, which is sufficiently close to your maintenance that your shrinking calorie deficit has become something that variations in your sodium, exercise, stress, and fiber can temporarily mask your actual weight loss. If you continue your nutrition as is and continue exercising as you are you will continue losing a bit more slowly for the remainder of your journey. Congratulations. You are doing it right.

But you do have to accurately log your food. You can never quit doing that. Ever.

Thanks for the response, it cheers me up a little knowing that I'm close to not being overweight for the first time in my life :) Also, I will keep track of the food 100% from now on.
  • Sergihf
    Options
    Also look at what other people posted about your stats. I.e getting closer to goal. It might just be having less to lose is gonna take a bit longer. Keep it up.

Yeah, even tho in my mind I know I'm so close to my goal, it still destroys me the slow of the process, but everything has it's cost, so I just have too chew it up and keep going forward
  • pcpop7
    Options
    Its all about consistency. Consistency in the gym, in the kitchen day in day out that makes amazing results. You'll get there.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    You are getting closer to goal weight (for a 6'2" man, the upper end of normal bmi is about 194 lbs - you have less than 40 lbs to lose now to get to "normal" weight; way to go, btw!!). As you get closer to goal, weight loss tends to slow down. It may not be reasonable to expect much more than a one lb per week loss anymore, and some weeks you will be over that, other weeks you will be under that. If your logging is accurate (and that is a very important "if"), you will continue to lose weight eating 2000 cal per day, just not as quickly as you used to. If it needs it, tighten up your logging. Otherwise, stay the course and be patient.

This.