I ran my first 10k

Options
NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
A year ago I'd never run more than a block as an adult and didn't think it was something I could do, nor did I have any interest.

I bought a Garmin Fenix 3 because I needed a wristwatch (mine died), and because I realized I could leave my hiking GPS and AA batteries behind if I had one on my wrist. On few-day hikes that saves me more than a pound from my backpack. :)

At some point last summer, I had this thought that I'd spent a lot of money on a device with a lot of specialized running features, and I should run occasionally to get the most of it. Also I'd been reading about cyclists with brittle bones because road cycling doesn't have enough impact, and seeing the advice to run to address this. So one day I ran a mile, and thought I'd die about 4/5 of the way in. Honestly I don't know why I stuck with it. But I ran from time to time, sometimes a little longer than I'd run before.

I'm not proud of my pace through this, but I'm happy I was able to do it without stopping or walking.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1164644001

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Not sure why you aren't proud of your pace. Seems like a decent one to me.

This makes me think I need to sign up for a 10k walk (I speed walk; don't run) because I can walk 7 miles in about 80 - 85 minutes. That's on a flat surface, though. Hiking would be a different story.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Be proud, it's a finish! I want to work my way up to a 10k, I've done several 5ks now but need to improve my efficiency and mileage. Kudos, and enjoy it for the accomplishment it is!
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Good for you! Not sure why you aren't proud of your pace. Seems like a decent one to me.

I can do a mile in 8 minutes and 10 seconds! I understand why I have to slow down to run a longer distance, but I'm still not happy to be 25 % slower. But I was just trying to finish - and I did, so I'm happy with that.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    that's a great pace.

I started running last year and did my half last weekend.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    That looks really good to me. Great 10k run. You should be quite happy with this.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement, everybody! :)
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    great job!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats on this accomplishment! It looks like a great course too. I live on the west side of the Sound. Have you considered doing the North Olympic Discovery Marathon/Half/10K/5K in June? It's up in Port Angeles & the entire course follows the Strait.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Nice work! Congrats. Nothing wrong with that finishing time.

It takes a while to build speed over a longer distance, as I'm currently learning with swimming! ;-)
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    congratulations.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Agreed! My first 10k was done in about the same amount of time and I was very proud of it! :) Congrats!
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Yeah that's a great time! Congratulations!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! To me that is a really impressive pace and first 10k time. I am working up to a 10k and have an 8k this weekend. I have run 10k in training and am not as fast as you for sure. Be proud!

By the way, I've been debating buying a Garmin of some sort and I'm loving seeing all the data. I may have to pull the trigger as my 1 year anniversary/ almost 50 lbs lost gift to myself.

Again, great job!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

• dazdarren
    dazdarren Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! To me that is a really impressive pace and first 10k time. I am working up to a 10k and have an 8k this weekend. I have run 10k in training and am not as fast as you for sure. Be proud!

By the way, I've been debating buying a Garmin of some sort and I'm loving seeing all the data. I may have to pull the trigger as my 1 year anniversary/ almost 50 lbs lost gift to myself.

Again, great job!

Congrats on your running progress! I wish I had the knees to run 8K. Since you like data the Garmin is definitely the way to go over say a Fit Bit. I have used both and Garmin is light years ahead when it comes to data and analytics. I have the Fenix 3 HR but any of their smart watches are a good choice.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    The fact that you completed the 10K at any pace should make you proud!! Congrats to you!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Just saw this -- great job!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Great job!!
  • SimonCypher
    SimonCypher Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Excellent job on completing your first 10k. Last year I wouldn't consider myself a runner but around the same time I signed up for a 10k race and then subsequently a Half Marathon a few months later. I then found I absolutely loved running and have gone from strength to strength. This year I'm running around 15 events. I definitely think having my Garmin Forerunner 225 has made a big impact on my running motivation, seeing how I improve is what I love to see. Well done once again and if any fellow runners would like any additional supportive friends you're more than welcome to sent a FR, :smile:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Congrats on this accomplishment! It looks like a great course too. I live on the west side of the Sound. Have you considered doing the North Olympic Discovery Marathon/Half/10K/5K in June? It's up in Port Angeles & the entire course follows the Strait.

i wish i could do that. I loved that area. a few years ago we used forks as a home base as we explored the area.