Need low-medium impact exercises outside the gym

Options
Can you guys recommend low impact-medium impact/intensity exercises that can be done outside the gym?

I know many of you will want to say walking and jogging but please don't. Feel free to recommend youtube videos, activities, exercise programmes/plans etc.

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I love fitness blender workouts. They're on youtube as well as their own site. All kinds of workouts from low impact to hiit, with or without equipment.

Edit: they also have everything from cardio, strength, yoga, pilates...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I like fitnessblender.com for finding workouts.

You can search on many variables such as duration, intensity, equipment etc.

I loved 30 day shred but it was hard at first...I did it 2x and the 2nd time was much easier.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Walking. I have a route I walk consists of a few hills and flats, great for a little cardio and working the legs.
  • fit4itall
    fit4itall Posts: 101 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I second FitnessBlender. Their YouTube channel has TONS of free workouts. I do them weekly and to be honest, feel they're more effective than the workouts I'd get in at the gym.
  • laurelh8
    laurelh8 Posts: 38 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I really like Fitness Blender videos. Here's a few low impact videos that I done several times:

1. Calorie Blasting Low Impact Cardio Boot Camp
    2. Low Impact Cardio and Total Body Toning Workout
    3. Low Impact Cardio Workout for Beginners
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Walking. I have a route I walk consists of a few hills and flats, great for a little cardio and working the legs.

Me too. Give me the great outdoors any day. (Any day but rainy days - on those I've been practicing yoga or going to the skating rink. If it's a light drizzle, I can garden.)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    if it warm and you are near the water...swimming? Yoga? Pilates?
  • jodidari
    jodidari Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thank you so far!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    on a side note I actually lift weights at home...if you have the space it's great.
  • vmsolko
    vmsolko Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    FitnessBlender is good.

I use www.hasfit.com for a lot of workouts. You can search by type of workout (such as low impact) as well as muscle groups, fitness level, etc. There is a month-long calendar with links to the videos just for low-impact beginner exercises.

It's all free and I don't find the coach annoying at all. I actually only used their workouts to lose my first 25 lbs. Then added in running and weight training on my own.
  • Adiemus200
    Adiemus200 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Walking is good, so is cycling if you own a bike.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Hula hooping
    Leslie Sansone's "Walk fit" series is fun- Anymore, I run the video, but turn down the sound and have my own music playing.
    Digging garden beds- not fun, but dang, I'm getting a workout and right here in my own front yard! ;)
    I'm having a lot of fun with hip hop dance videos, but some of them take quite a bit of alteration to be 'low-impact'- replacing jumps with shallow squats, rocking heel-to-toe instead jumping, etc.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Oh, and anyone who wants to try the digging garden beds workout, but doesn't have a yard? You're welcome to come use my yard! ;)
  • Yournameistaken
    Yournameistaken Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I suggest you try a rebounder (mini trampoline). I have a Bellicon and I love it! So easy and gentle on my joints.
  • jodidari
    jodidari Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    vmsolko wrote: »
    FitnessBlender is good.

I use www.hasfit.com for a lot of workouts. You can search by type of workout (such as low impact) as well as muscle groups, fitness level, etc. There is a month-long calendar with links to the videos just for low-impact beginner exercises.

It's all free and I don't find the coach annoying at all. I actually only used their workouts to lose my first 25 lbs. Then added in running and weight training on my own.

I actually started this when I first saw your post and i'm loving the variety
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    TRX suspension training, resistance bands, dumbbells, all are low impact. Most high impact moves can be modified to suit you. Basically do them one leg at a time, alternating legs, even jumping jacks! It seems weird at first, but it does help.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I second TRX. You can buy straps on Amazon and find a place to hang them just about anywhere. You can even take them on vacation with you. There are cheaper straps than the TRX brand also that work as well. Be sure to read the reviews on Amazon.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Oh, and anyone who wants to try the digging garden beds workout, but doesn't have a yard? You're welcome to come use my yard! ;)

Gah, I was already behind in my garden last month and it was only April. This is mostly because my strawberry plants are like Tribbles. Not a bad problem to have :D

Anyone living south of Boston feel free to hit me up for some strawberry plants.