Overwhelmed

Options
Just found out I'm diabetic but my doctor told me if I lose weight I can reverse it and possibly get off meds. I'm overwhelmed by the amount of weight I need to lose. To boot I have PCOS but I'm going to try to hardest before I go to the gastric bypas route. I need to lose 130 lbs and can definitely use some positive feedback and tips.

Replies

• ebermudez966
    ebermudez966 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I got the scale and started a low carb diet but am not going crazy because I agree I will bing which is the worst thing I can do. Great tips thank you so much! I will try the dairy too!
  • ebermudez966
    Options
    Wow Rank that's just amazing!! Thank you so much for the info will definitely take it to heart. How long as it taken you to lose the weight?
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Wow Rank that's just amazing!! Thank you so much for the info will definitely take it to heart. How long as it taken you to lose the weight?

Since early last summer, so not quite a year yet.
  • ebermudez966
    Options
    Thanks Queen that's a great post!
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I'm 30lbs in with 90 to go. You can do this. Focus on smaller goals. Google what happens to your body when you lose just ten pounds. There's your first goal. Then google what happens when you lose 10% of your body weight. These are smaller, more attainable goals that have a wonderful benefit on your health. You keep going from there.

Feel free to add me if you need folks in your support network.

• ebermudez966
    Options
    Thank you so much I would love to add you!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Google the Scooby Workshop calculator and plug in your stats. That calculator will give you how many calories you need to eat per day to lose X amount of weight (usually it's about a pound or so).

Then come back here and log your calories. Use that food scale. Go for short goals - 10 pounds, then 20, then 30, etc.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    You can do it......slow and steady is the way to go. I lost 121 pounds (took me 2 yrs 9 months, but I now been maintaining for almost 2 yrs now), if I can do it so can you.

Good luck. :)
  • ebermudez966
    Options
    Omg Serah that is amazing and that's what I want to do lose and maintain. I can lose it but gain it back and then some. It's so inspiring listen to all of your success stories. Thank you!
  • Serah87
    Options
    Omg Serah that is amazing and that's what I want to do lose and maintain. I can lose it but gain it back and then some. It's so inspiring listen to all of your success stories. Thank you!

I've done that before, several times. This is the first time I hit my goal weight and kept it off.

How I did it, I ate at reasonable deficit, eating foods I like in moderation making sure I hit my macros and micros. I also exercise.
  • ebermudez966
    Options
    Just did it and it's a great site. Only thing I had to adjust was my protein and carbs but calories were pretty close. Thank you!
    emdeesea wrote: »
    Google the Scooby Workshop calculator and plug in your stats. That calculator will give you how many calories you need to eat per day to lose X amount of weight (usually it's about a pound or so).

Then come back here and log your calories. Use that food scale. Go for short goals - 10 pounds, then 20, then 30, etc.

• ebermudez966
    Options
    Exercise is going to be a challenge to start with but I'm sure I can find something I enjoy.
    Serah87 wrote: »

I've done that before, several times. This is the first time I hit my goal weight and kept it off.

How I did it, I ate at reasonable deficit, eating foods I like in moderation making sure I hit my macros and micros. I also exercise.

• Serah87
    Options
    Exercise is going to be a challenge to start with but I'm sure I can find something I enjoy.
    Serah87 wrote: »

I started off by walking 6 blocks, then a mile, then 2 miles and so and so on and now I walk 7.5 to 8 miles 6 days a week and starting back on strength training tomorrow (I had an injury).

Just start out doing a little bit and work yourself up.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Just walk. A lot of people just start out by walking. That's what I did too. Then I moved up to doing some other sorts of cardio, then I added weights, then I added running, etc. You just add as you get stronger.
  • ebermudez966
    Options
    I bought a fit bit and that will hopefully motivate me to keep moving!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Another vote for starting with walking.

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/10-amazing-benefits-walking/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I got the scale and started a low carb diet but am not going crazy because I agree I will bing which is the worst thing I can do. Great tips thank you so much! I will try the dairy too!

I have heard a lot of women with PCOS say that reducing carbs was beneficial to them. I don't think there is a particular sweet spot, but that it's all individual. Here's a link to a PCOS group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis