If you had to choose one: CARBS or FAT?

Options

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Here is a hypothetical:

If I have two options of food to chose from, and they both have the EXACT same nutritional information EXCEPT for CARBS and FAT, which would you choose?

I.e.: If one was higher in CARBS, but the other was higher in FAT?

Which one would you stay away from? Which is the lesser of two evils: CARBS or FAT?

For me, it depends on the source of the carb and the type of fat. Neither carbs nor fat technically makes you fat. All that is a bunch of mythological hoo ha that sells fad diets. But, if the carb is mostly refined simple sugars and the fat is mostly unsaturated and filled with Omega-3's, then I choose the fat. But, if the carb is a complex carb or perhaps even a simple one accompanied by fiber (like an apple) and the fat is trans fat or saturated fat, then I choose the carb.

There are highly nutritious qualities of carbs and fat, and to vilify one or the other does your body a great dis-service.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,679 Member
    Options
    Here is a hypothetical:

If I have two options of food to chose from, and they both have the EXACT same nutritional information EXCEPT for CARBS and FAT, which would you choose?

Which one would you stay away from? Which is the lesser of two evils: CARBS or FAT?
    It would depend on what the two foods were, but in most cases, I'd probably go with the one higher in carbs. As someone else mentioned, calorie for calorie, you get more food with carbs. I know a lot of people say fat is more filling, but for me, more volume is more filling.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Here is a hypothetical:

For me, it depends on the source of the carb and the type of fat. Neither carbs nor fat technically makes you fat. All that is a bunch of mythological hoo ha that sells fad diets. But, if the carb is mostly refined simple sugars and the fat is mostly unsaturated and filled with Omega-3's, then I choose the fat. But, if the carb is a complex carb or perhaps even a simple one accompanied by fiber (like an apple) and the fat is trans fat or saturated fat, then I choose the carb.

There are highly nutritious qualities of carbs and fat, and to vilify one or the other does your body a great dis-service.

Perfectly said.

Would also depend on timing of the meal for me.
  • NYGoddess77
    NYGoddess77 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'd chose Fat over Carbs anyday. I had half of a Hass Avocado and 6oz of Steamed Salmon for Breakfast and I wasn't hungry all day until about 5 hours later and then I had the same for lunch with a medium artichoke (carb) :-)
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'd stay away from the fat.

Carbs have 4 calories per gram, fat has 9.

100 calories of carbs is going to be more substantial than 100 calories of fat.

or in other words, I'll get 25 grams of carbs as opposed to 11 grams of fat to eat.

I'll take more to eat please.

But what if eating the 25 grams of carbs makes you just want to eat more carbs, while the 11 grams of fat keep me satisfied and full. I opt for the fat. It has more satiating power.
  • EbonyGemstoneHealth
    EbonyGemstoneHealth Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    CARBS! :D
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    So much hostility on this thread against carbs!

Neither carbs nor fat should be classified as evil. They are both necessary for your body to function properly. To really choose, you would need to know what the two items you are choosing between actually are. Take this example, 2 items that are approximately 120 calories each, the only difference is one has more carbs and the other has more fat. Many of you will automatically choose the one with the fat without knowing what it is because you have given into the "all carbs are bad" hype. Some of you will choose the one with more carbs without knowing what it is because you perceive it as having more substance and being more filling. But what if the two items were a tablespoon of olive oil (more fat) and a large banana (more carbs)? I don't mean for my example to come off as anti-fat. 100 calories of healthy fat is a better choice over 100 calories of refined sugar. I'm just saying you can't really choose the healthier option without knowing what exactly it is you are choosing between.
  • LaJauna
    Options

Neither carbs nor fat should be classified as evil. They are both necessary for your body to function properly. To really choose, you would need to know what the two items you are choosing between actually are. Take this example, 2 items that are approximately 120 calories each, the only difference is one has more carbs and the other has more fat. Many of you will automatically choose the one with the fat without knowing what it is because you have given into the "all carbs are bad" hype. Some of you will choose the one with more carbs without knowing what it is because you perceive it as having more substance and being more filling. But what if the two items were a tablespoon of olive oil (more fat) and a large banana (more carbs)? I don't mean for my example to come off as anti-fat. 100 calories of healthy fat is a better choice over 100 calories of refined sugar. I'm just saying you can't really choose the healthier option without knowing what exactly it is you are choosing between.

If there is one micronutrient that is completely un-necessary it would be carbohydrates. Our bodies are quite capable of making glycogen from proteins and ketones for energy from fats. There are whole cultures across the world that have very little access to vegetational carbohydrates and live quite well on meats and fats. And I am not just talking about Eskimos!
  • thegoodner
    thegoodner Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    There are no necessary carbs, only necessary fats. I choose fat every time. Your body prefers to use it as a fuel source, it keeps you full, lower your triglycerides, actually IMPROVE your cholesterol, and its tasty! But I would have to qualify that I would want the fat to come from animal, or coconut, or avocados. Carbs are what got me here, so I will pass on those options.

If you are bored or curious, I highly recommend the movie Fat Head on hulu or Netflix (free streaming). Fat has been wrongly accused for a long time.
  • dxing
    dxing Posts: 115 Member
    Options

If there is one micronutrient that is completely un-necessary it would be carbohydrates. Our bodies are quite capable of making glycogen from proteins and ketones for energy from fats. There are whole cultures across the world that have very little access to vegetational carbohydrates and live quite well on meats and fats. And I am not just talking about Eskimos!

Why would you make it considerably more inconvenient to cut out carbohydrates completely? A lot of sources of carbs are some of the most affordable and calorie dense types of food. I mean if you wanted to pack a sandwich to work, you wouldn't be able to use bread. If I'm going to be late for work, and I'd like to grab a piece of fruit, I wouldn't be able to. To live off of protein and fat really limits most people because you're cutting out a huge variety of food (starch, legumes, fibrous & leafy vegetables, fruit), and mentally this can be very difficult to follow, which will probably lead you to quit whatever plan your on.

Plus, it's simply unnecessary to cut out carbohydrates. Some of the fittest and strongest people in the world eat 400+ grams of carbs everyday. You can easily lose body fat on a caloric deficit with a variety of food (it may be slower, but people expect things to go too quickly anyways), so why would you purposely make life more expensive and inconvenient for yourself? And unless you plan on incorporating a carb free diet for life, your going to gain fat back. I've done extremely low carb plans, but I understood it was going to be short term, I wasn't surprised the least bit to see a big loss in definition once I re-incorporated carbohydrates. I knew somebody who literally ate chicken breast as his sole source of food and he developed a noticeable set of abs in 1 month! But he lost all definition in his midsection once he reincorporated carbs back into his diet. In my opinion, I'd rather lose bodyfat and be able to keep it off rather than stay in a permanent state of ketosis.
  • LaJauna
    Options

Why would you make it considerably more inconvenient to cut out carbohydrates completely? A lot of sources of carbs are some of the most affordable and calorie dense types of food. I mean if you wanted to pack a sandwich to work, you wouldn't be able to use bread. If I'm going to be late for work, and I'd like to grab a piece of fruit, I wouldn't be able to. To live off of protein and fat really limits most people because you're cutting out a huge variety of food (starch, legumes, fibrous & leafy vegetables, fruit), and mentally this can be very difficult to follow, which will probably lead you to quit whatever plan your on.

Plus, it's simply unnecessary to cut out carbohydrates. Some of the fittest and strongest people in the world eat 400+ grams of carbs everyday. You can easily lose body fat on a caloric deficit with a variety of food (it may be slower, but people expect things to go too quickly anyways), so why would you purposely make life more expensive and inconvenient for yourself? And unless you plan on incorporating a carb free diet for life, your going to gain fat back. I've done extremely low carb plans, but I understood it was going to be short term, I wasn't surprised the least bit to see a big loss in definition once I re-incorporated carbohydrates. I knew somebody who literally ate chicken breast as his sole source of food and he developed a noticeable set of abs in 1 month! But he lost all definition in his midsection once he reincorporated carbs back into his diet. In my opinion, I'd rather lose bodyfat and be able to keep it off rather than stay in a permanent state of ketosis.

I was only responding to the notion that carbs are essential to good health. They are not. They are convenient. They are easy. I was not saying I or anyone here should live a life free of carbohydrates. I eat them every day. I just choose to eat fresh foods and food made from fresh foods *(recipes). I can't eat 500+ carbs a day without gaining weight. I am not a weight lifter nor am I prone to jog or do aerobics. I have health issues that make those options not practical for me. I have chosen a life style of eating that meets my needs. I am only offering the thought that if someone chooses to never eat another carb and ate animals and their by-products (including fats) they could live a healthy, long life.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    What kind of fats? What kinds of carbs? Is this a trigger food for me? How much satiety and satiation will I get from this food? This question is way too black and white.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I'm about to do. Neither one is 'evil' so there is no 'lesser evil'. If I'm within 30 minutes of a workout, more carbs. If I'm about to go to bed, fat.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Oh and vegetables and fruits are carbs. Why does everyone seem to forget this?
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Actually in order to fully oxidize fats we do need sufficient glucose...which is why we get a buildup of ketones...from incomplete beta-oxidation of fats. Just saying.
  • dxing
    dxing Posts: 115 Member
    Options

I was only responding to the notion that carbs are essential to good health. They are not. They are convenient. They are easy. I was not saying I or anyone here should live a life free of carbohydrates. I eat them every day. I just choose to eat fresh foods and food made from fresh foods *(recipes). I can't eat 500+ carbs a day without gaining weight. I am not a weight lifter nor am I prone to jog or do aerobics. I have health issues that make those options not practical for me. I have chosen a life style of eating that meets my needs. I am only offering the thought that if someone chooses to never eat another carb and ate animals and their by-products (including fats) they could live a healthy, long life.

So I can technically choose a McDonald's Double Quarter Pounder and as long as I only eat the meat (with some bacon added in on the side), I'd be doing my body a favor over eating a bowl of oatmeal with fruit?
  • tkdgirl23
    tkdgirl23 Posts: 36
    Options
    I would choose the one with the healthiest fats and lowest in carbs. Cant eliminate both completely because the body does need carbs and good fats.

1. The worst type of fats is hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated fats. These fats are most likely to boost cholesterol levels

Monounsaturated fats should make up most of the fats one eats.
    Polyunsaturated fats should be used in moderation.
    Saturated fats should be least used.
    Partially hydrogenated fats and chemically produced trans-fatty acids should be avoided.
    Foods containing essential fatty acids are encouraged.

:glasses:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

So I can technically choose a McDonald's Double Quarter Pounder and as long as I only eat the meat (with some bacon added in on the side), I'd be doing my body a favor over eating a bowl of oatmeal with fruit?

While I'm not a proponent of a ketogenic diet, I think at this point it's understood that you should steer clear of highly processed meat products. The new Atkins is more similar to the Mediterrenean Diet without the grains. MUFA's and PUFA's with more leniency in saturated FA's.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    These threads are always very entertaining.
  • joshslove678
    joshslove678 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a certified personal trainer. In school they teach us that Carbs needs to complete 60% of your daily calorie intake. Fat needs to be 40% and protein 10%-15%. The trick is not choosing carbs or fat, its choosing the correct carbs and the correct fats. There are good carbs and bad carbs, good fats and BAD fats. You can google lists of these to keep with you. Basically no processed carbohydrates (white bread, white pasta, cereals, sugars, ect). No saturated or trans fats.
    If you need to loose a good bit of weight I would suggest keeping you carb intake (good carbs only) and do a lower fat diet. Eat fat, just eat the good stuff!

I also work for a doctor and he agrees that what physical activity you do is really just as if not more important than what you eat.