When to step on that scale??

Options
Okay I have a honest question.....
When should I step on the scale? I don't want it to become unhealthy. I really want to do it like every day, but I know it's not healthy to become obsessive about it.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and most certainly not obsessed by it. It's just a number to see if I am going in the right direction.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's up to you. I like to step on it after I go to the toilet in the morning to keep track of my trend on Trendweight. It helped me get over the wild fluctuations that occur from things like high sodium and TOM. Plus, the chart looks pretty neat.

For some people, it's better to weigh once a week. There are also folks that don't weigh at all and go by how their clothes fit.
  • CarCar0207
    CarCar0207 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If u want to do it everyday then u should. Just make sure u are using the number as a tool to learn from not as a place of self judgement and punishment. See the number and then let it go. If u find that u are thinking about it or it is effecting the way u talk to yourself or eat that day then back it off to every 3 days or once a week. I used to have to weigh in at the gym or my moms because I was stepping on multiple times in a day. It's a slippery slope. Hope that helps.
  • rachellerma1992
    rachellerma1992 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys!!! ❤️
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. Have been for decades.
  • rachellerma1992
    Options
    Thank you. I think I will just do it everyday I just didn't want it to become some crazy obsession
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,236 Member
    Options
    Second thing every morning. :)

I've been doing that since the mid 1980s.
  • rachellerma1992
    Options
    Thank you. I think I will just do it everyday I just didn't want it to become some crazy obsession
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I was weighing every day when I was losing 1-2 pounds a week. Now I've decided to slow down my loss rate and will just weigh once a week on the same day/time.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Use an app like Happy Scale or Libra. You can log everyday and it creates a trend line & mini goals for you. I find it helpful to see the pattern of natural fluctuation. I think that the more you do it, the more the scale becomes a number and not life or death. But if you find yourself obsessing, take a break.
  • MrsOlarinde88
    MrsOlarinde88 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question, I felt the same way you do. But now by reading these comments I feel relieved. :)
  • MrsOlarinde88
    MrsOlarinde88 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question, I felt the same way you do. But now by reading these comments I feel relieved. :)
  • philippakate197
    philippakate197 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    By weighing every day I get a better amount of data to make sense of what's happening. Only weighing once a week/month would just give me a snapshot of what I'm losing and a less clear picture of the fluctuations. Another vote for the happy scale app - great way to see trends over time.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I have zero patience and am craving results like mad, so I am one that cannot weigh daily. Currently taking a break from weighing at all and will wait at least a month before doing it again.

I understand that weight loss isn't linear, water weight fluctuations, TOM, and new exercise all impact the number on the scale but that number has too much emotional charge for me. Up even an ounce and I worry I did something wrong, I stress about eating (try to restrict for half a day and end up binging), and think to myself "gosh all this hard work for absolutely NOTHING??" and that sort of thinking leads to me feeling discouraged and not trying as hard as I should.

It's so individual. Go for every day, use a trend app and see how it goes! I know what's best for me, but only you will know what's best for you and it can't hurt to try and find out. You'll find your limits then work within them :)
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Weighing energy morning helped me get over my scale anxiety.