Chicken?

Options
joannehill88
joannehill88 Posts: 7 Member
Afternoon people X

Does any one have any loverly healthy recipes for chicken?

Or suggestions also on health breakfasts

Thanks

Replies

• mrsangelat
    mrsangelat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Slimming World Over Night Oats for Breakfast are lush, frozen or fresh berry's (any combination) into a bowl sprinkle on some raw porridge oats, tip a fat free vanilla yoghurt over the top, cover with cling and leave in the fridge its also great if you are in a rush in the mornings.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Chicken and the George Foreman grill are a great combo. I prefer to marinate for a couple of days first.
  • alyssa_rest
    alyssa_rest Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com has a lot of great chicken recipes that I rotate into my dinner planning!
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Afternoon people X

Does any one have any loverly healthy recipes for chicken?

Or suggestions also on health breakfasts

Thanks

George Foreman is your friend!

Last night I made a lovely dinner in 20 minutes.

200gm of rice: half mug of rice, 1 full mug of hot water.
    If you like a little extra then I added in some cardamom seeds and a teaspoon of tumeric.
    Lid on with a vent, keep on high boil for 7-9 minutes until the water has steamed out. No need to drain.

Grill a fillet of chicken. Can be plain, or add a little rub or seasoning.

Make a quick warm salsa in a frying pan: diced onion, pepper, tomatoes, salt/pepper
    Fry off (in fry light) and when hot add a couple of tablespoons of balasamic vingear or soy sauce (to your taste).

Voila. Fast. Colourful. Tasty.

My version last night came to 402 calories (everything measured):

Red Onion - Chopped, 0.5 cup (80 g) 30
    Spices - Tumeric, 1 tsp 7
    Balsamic Vinegar - Balsamic Vinegar, 2 tbsp 28
    Generic - Grilled Chicken Breast Fillet, 77 grams 78
    Rice - Basmati White Rice 100g (Cooked), 200 g serving 240
    Bell Pepper - Green Chopped, 0.5 cup chopped (150g) 15
    Fry Light - Fry Light Olive Oil Spray, 4 sprays 4
  • LazyButHealthy
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Another easy and health one:

More chicken drilling on george foreman!

Marinate chunky diced chicken in teryaki for half an hour (optional)
    Stick chunks on skewers alternating with bell peppers, onions (or other veg you prefer)
    Add spices to taste (i like smoked paprika, but it's any you like)
    Grill on the george foreman

Either serve in wraps with some lowcal/lowfat yoghurt (especially if you add chillies or spices) like your own fajita;
    or serve on a little bed of couscous with some additional veg

Just so fast, simple and verstile, depending on what's in your veg box or freezer.
  • LazyButHealthy
    Options

Grilled chicken on the george foreman;
    Baked potato (takes ages though! depending on the season this can be swapped with steamed baby new potatoes
    Lots of broccoli, peppers, onions
    Chicken or veg stock but barely diluted for a fast and low calorie gravy
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Pinterest! It's got some great recipes, and it depends on what type of diet you are on. search for Low carb jalapeno stuffed chicken breast. It's one of my favs. I also like to make a non breaded chicken parmesan over spiralized zucchini I brown the chicken in a sauce pan with mushrooms, add it to a casserole dish, pour marinara sauce over it, and top with the mushrooms, mozzarella cheese, and parmesan. Cook at 350 for 30 minutes and serve on top of noodle for the children, or zucchini for myself.
  • LazyButHealthy
    Options
    Health and FAST (my favourite combos):

George Foreman grilled chicken (see a trend??)
    Microwave a steaming bag of egg noodles (such as The Co-operative Egg Noodles, 125gm portion = 183 calories)
    High heat wok for mixed veg (such as The Co-operative Chinese Stir Fry veg, 160gm portion = 55 calories)

When the wok is high and the veg is cooked and wilted, add in the diced grilled chicken and steamed noodles;
    salt, pepper and some soy sauce, witha sprinkle of five-spice.

Less than 20 minutes, delicious, (also nice to swap in prawns for chicken)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I find stews to be amazingly satisfying and really easy to make. Just dump the ingredients in a pot and you're done. Chicken, your choice of beans, canned fire roasted tomatoes, roasted red peppers, and zucchini, with chicken broth and sauteed onions of course. I just find the combination of chicken and beans extremely filling.

I also tried these lately and liked them:
    http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/white-chili-with-chicken-best.html
    http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2008/03/alexs-chicken-and-mushroom-marsala/
    http://www.kevinandamanda.com/chicken-fajita-pasta/

For marsala chicken, I used bread crumbs instead of almond meal to cut on calories and because I didn't feel like grinding almonds

For the pasta I used light cream instead of heavy and it turned out just as good

I had this for breakfast yesterday and it was really really good
    http://food52.com/recipes/54863-smashed-chickpeas-crispy-prosciutto-and-poached-eggs
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I slow cook my chicken so it falls apart which is how I like it best. I toss it in there with one of the following sauces:

Jar of salsa

Broth and white wine

Onion, crushed tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, pinch sugar or xylitol

Rotel, black beans and corn

Orange juice/zest, soy sauce, ginger, garlic powder, honey (add water and corn starch at the end)

Then serve with riceor pasta and veggies :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com has a lot of great chicken recipes that I rotate into my dinner planning!

YES!

skinnytaste.com
    slenderkitchen.com
    theskinnyfork.com
    cookinglight.com
    eatingwell.com
  • krystal_m18
    krystal_m18 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like to make curry chicken wraps or sandwiches.
    Chicken breast, diced
    Red onion, diced
    Sultana raisins
    Greek yogurt, plain
    Yellow curry powder
    Honey

• lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
  • SimonCypher
    SimonCypher Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Health and FAST (my favourite combos):

George Foreman grilled chicken (see a trend??)
    Microwave a steaming bag of egg noodles (such as The Co-operative Egg Noodles, 125gm portion = 183 calories)
    High heat wok for mixed veg (such as The Co-operative Chinese Stir Fry veg, 160gm portion = 55 calories)

When the wok is high and the veg is cooked and wilted, add in the diced grilled chicken and steamed noodles;
    salt, pepper and some soy sauce, witha sprinkle of five-spice.

Less than 20 minutes, delicious, (also nice to swap in prawns for chicken)

I think you need to come and teach me all these recipes! I've had a George Foreman grill now for over a year and have used it once I think, lol. Definitely going to start using it more with some of these suggestions, :smiley:
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Chicken and the George Foreman grill are a great combo. I prefer to marinate for a couple of days first.

@2011rocket3touring What size George Foreman do you have? I have the small one someone gave me and I've not used it yet. I think because it seems so small...guess I should get it out and try it. What do you use for marinades? Thanks :)

@SimonCypher
    I know there are some awesome George Foreman recipe websites where ppl over the years have added recipes.

Over the years there have been quite a number GF threads here on MFP where ppl share what they make on their grills etc. Though it was before the upgrade so hopefully they are not lost and are still available via the search engine.

Thanks @LazyButHealthy for all the ideas & for getting me re-interested in pulling out my GF grill.

How long are you cooking the chicken on it for? Does it come out moist?

Keep the ideas rolling All! ;)
  • Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    There are literally hundreds of different ways to marinate it. You can grill, bake, or saute it healthy too. Experiment.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Pinterest has some great recipes. Look for Clean chicken recipes. Sometimes you can modify other recipes if you're handy in the kitchen by making substitutions.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    ...@2011rocket3touring What size George Foreman do you have? I have the small one someone gave me and I've not used it yet. I think because it seems so small...guess I should get it out and try it. What do you use for marinades? Thanks :)...

I have the one they humorously refer to as "4 serving size" which is really "3 meat servings or 1 person vegetable serving.
    Sometimes I use marinade my wife buys at Walmart, have used soy sauce and garlic, worchester sauce. Whatever I have available.
    Cook that sucker for 8 minutes and it comes out perfect and moist.
  • LazyButHealthy
    Options
    I think you need to come and teach me all these recipes! I've had a George Foreman grill now for over a year and have used it once I think, lol. Definitely going to start using it more with some of these suggestions, :smiley:

Ha!

Honestly, Simon, it's the best thing I've bought for my kitchen that hasn't been dumped after the novelty wears off. A year later and I use it around twice a week. So easy to clean, and fast to heat up, too.
    Can have very taste chicken, bacon, sausages, beef... pretty much all meat i eat is done on the george.
    For some of the cheaper meats the water pours out - so it also helps realise the quality of some of your products too.

When the chicken is nearly ready I often just pile on loads of onions and peppers on there too for a quick cook and then just put them on the plate with some rice or a wrap.

Great for post-work meals where I want to eat healthily but not 'waste' quality evening time cooking!

GO! Get out the George!

;)
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in on the George Foreman... I use mine almost every single day.