for those of you who burn calories like crazy...

Options

Replies

• barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

this website says I should eat a total of 1462-1949 calories a day total to lose weight.
    i've been eatin around 1600 total, so i think im goood
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any of mine back normally. Calories in and calories out. Whats the point of burning 800 calories if your just going to eat them all back. That completely defeats the purpose.

I will not try to tell you eat your exercise calories, but I will tell you this. Exercise has other benefits other than calorie burn.

Of course it does. I never said it didn't. But im not going to go work out and burn 800 calories just so I can eat more food. That makes absolutely no sense.

IMO, if you understand the other health benefits, it does make sense. Eating doesn't undo all of the other benefits such as strength, cardiovascular health, and self-esteem, especially when you have a loss already built in there. Dependent on what you eat(eg protein for muscle or carbos for endurance activities), eating them back makes complete sense. Protein to help you build muscle to increase your lean body mass would actually boost your metabolism so you burn even more(without increasing your activity level!!---means less work for you if you don't like exercise). Exercise without fueling sufficiently it leads to a fat-skinny look.

That being said, I try to eat mine, but sometimes it just doesn't feel possible.

Well of course I eat plenty of good food to fuel my body in all of these areas, but I absolutely cannot see myself eating 2100 calories a day. Like i've mentioned before, I've lost 43 pounds burning 800-1100 calories a day and only eating 100-300 of them back on rare occasions. So I think im doing something right! (Hopefully!)
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    However, I also don't believe you can sustainably, until the end of time, not eat your exercise calories and survive. When you reach your goal, if you want to stay healthy, you will have to workout. And if you workout, eat maintenance calories alone and don't eat your workout calories, you will continue to lose, or cause your metabolism to slow to adjust. And if that happens, good luck if your diet changes... you will probably start increasing again.

And I don't mean YOU specifically. I mean anyone.
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    bump
  • catlady100
    catlady100 Posts: 154
    Options
    I don't use an HRM. Heck, I don't even count exercise calories at all using any calculator which will most likely be wrong, just a guesstimate, anyway.

I eat between 1500-1800 total per day, no matter what. I don't worry about this whole "eat back the exercise calories" thing since I eat enough as is it.

Last week I had 6 days of 1500 calorie eating, and 1 day of 1800 calorie eating. I did NOT exercise since I have way too much in my life going on right now. BUT...I lost 1.8 pounds, 1.45 of which was calculated to be pure fat.

So I must be doing *something* right, huh? :tongue: :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

i think i'm going to start doing something similar to this because I don't have a hrm ,and since I've stopped just using the treadmill it's becoming difficult to try to estimate exercise calories.
  • ashley_d78
    ashley_d78 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    holy bump!
    I work with kids and we go on outings around the city everyday- i walk a lot of the day and i do insanity and run. i very rarely eat back my calories i burned, but some days i burn up to 12- 1400 calories. i couldn"t eat another 1400 calories in healthy food. i do however, eat very well during the week and eat whatever on the weekend. its the only thing that seems to work for me. mentally wise. but im not loosing weight as fast as id like. i may go to a nutritionist and see what they think.
    thanks for posting this question- i've wondered this many times!:smile:
  • Louiselesley
    Louiselesley Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    :'(

oh my. the people on this site so ignorant to science makes me sad.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I don't look at it as working out so I can eat more. To me that is not what eating back your exercise calories is about. It's more like eating so you can keep your body running at a high level. I don't run or lift weights only to lose weight. I do it to get stronger and faster. The weight loss is a wonderful byproduct. But how strong or fast can I expect to get if I'm not putting enough gas in the tank? Eventually your body will sputter out, just like your car would if you didn't keep putting fuel in it.

This morning I burned 843 calories. I have since consumed 1044 calories through breakfast and lunch so my net is 201 for the day. With a healthy snack this afternoon and a delicious healthy dinner, my net should be in the 1300 calorie range for the day. It's well below my goal set up by MFP, but at the same time I don't workout everyday so I may consume slightly more than my daily allowance tomorrow and still be under for the week.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    If you want to keep muscle and work out harder and harder, then chow down.
  • deedee3732
    deedee3732 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I was just getting ready to ask the same question, right now, I have eaten 3 meals and 2 snacks and it says I still have like 800 calories, and it is 8:45 pm, so I don't think it would be a great idea to eat that many calories this late at night. However, I really want to do this right and lose this weight for good.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    My usual cardio burn is between 600-1000 calories per workout. I cannot eat them all back. I just feel bloated and overstuffed if I do. :)

I do eat some back if I feel hungry, but only a small portion.
  • LaDee05
    LaDee05 Posts: 5
    Options
    WHO ARE you people netting 500-800 cals a day! :noway: Thats just crazy! :tongue: are you using MFP calorie burn counts or HRM's? Just curious- :happy:

I use a HRM. I don't intentionally net that little. I didn't realize I was until I pulled my report to answer her question
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    On the days I bike to/from work I burn about 800 and generally am not hungry on that day, so I don't eat all my calories back. My net is still generally around 1200. I usually make up for it the next day when my appetite returns.
  • janiepumphrey
    Options
    I highly recommend this "Total Metabolism Forecaster" spreadsheet to calculate calorie needs - it's very thorough and I have found it to be more accurate than other calculators that only take height and weight and gender into account. This one accounts for many things that other calorie calculators don't - the "afterburn" effect of exercise, your body fat % (because muscles at rest burn more), etc. It's very helpful!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=502861841&postcount=602
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend this "Total Metabolism Forecaster" spreadsheet to calculate calorie needs - it's very thorough and I have found it to be more accurate than other calculators that only take height and weight and gender into account. This one accounts for many things that other calorie calculators don't - the "afterburn" effect of exercise, your body fat % (because muscles at rest burn more), etc. It's very helpful!

Your link is not working.

EDIT: My bad... it is working. I made a mistake copy/pasting (brain fart)
  • ketojeanna
    ketojeanna Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am so freaking confused. MFP says I should be eating 1800 calories to lose 2 pounds a week (I need to lose 150 pounds) and then when I used this calculator you posted, it says I should be eating over 2.300 calories for EXTREME fat loss. WTF?!?!?! I thought 1.800 was high. I'm about to scream.
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

this website says I should eat a total of 1462-1949 calories a day total to lose weight.
    i've been eatin around 1600 total, so i think im goood
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    Options
    This is tough for me because I usually eat most of my calories back however for days like today when I eat 1660 and burn 1600...I find it counter productive to eat those extra calories just so I can net 1200 even though I'm not hungry...that's what got me into my weight gain to begin with, you know?
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I net around 1700. so If I burn 800 (like today) I eat around 2500. Eat them back.

Exactly - eat them back!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    What do you usually NET in a day? I usually burn over 700 a day running and doing HIIT body weight exercises a day. I've only been NETTING around 500 calories a day usually. I eat over 1200+ everyday, but I don't usually eat back even 50% of my exercise calories. I was just wondering what everyone else does for eating with working out?

How many calories do you eat on days when you burn around 800 calories?

I am a long distance runner. I usually burn between 450-1000 calories almost daily. I eat back about 80% of my exercise calories. My calorie goal is only 1300 but I am only 5 feet tall and I found maintenance were a tad too much for me...anywho...I NET between 1000-1300...if I am going to be less than 1000 calories NET (Give or take a few...998 won't bother me...lol) I will eat something so I feel energized and strong for the next days workout. I will make sure that I hit my goal or maybe even 50-200 over the day before anything longer than 10 miles. My running and fitness are important enough to me that I insist on fueling my body...while not gaining any weight back...so I eat...that is one of the things I love about exercise...I can have an ice cream sandwich with my kids from time to time and still be on target...lol
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

omg!! it said I should be eating 2500 calories a day to be at my best metabolic rate =0
    & it also says that i am in starvation mode =0