Sanwiches!!

Options
Hi guys, I have been bringing my food from home to work. When I first started this job I used to eat out at fast food. So I've been trying to save my money.

I want to start bringing in sandwiches. So give me some easy/healthy recipes please!!!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I usually start with a modest calorie whole wheat (a little more protein & fiber). Then add meats & cheese (2%, or thin slice) then top with veggies. I like match stick carrots & cucumber slices. Mustard or a mustard/mayo mix.

Egg salad - 1 whole + 1/2 egg white makes a heaping sandwich, light mayo, celery, and lettuce. This is nice in a pita pocket.

Tuna & green apple. Add red peppers, celery and light mayo.

High fiber wraps are a nice change of pace.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat bread. Guacamole instead of mayo. Tuna or chicken strips (not processed lunch meat). A slice of cheese.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Leftovers! Often, dinner from the night before can be used as a sandwich filling. Definitely choose your bread wisely, but you can always throw a steak, pork chop, piece of chicken, etc between two slices of bread. (I like Aldi's Fit & Active wheat.)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    My go to is two slices of whole wheat bread, whatever meat is around, half an avocado, cucumber slices for crunch and mustard. If no avocado then cheese.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Prima Della turkey, 45 calorie bread (2) slices, Sargento swiss cheese, slice of bacon, honey mustard.

On non turkey days, it will be homeade egg salad or The Fresh Market Roasted chicken salad.
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    olive oil mayo, avocado, and tuna. Boom. Power lunch.

If you feel daring, add some garlic powder.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Not a sandwich but yesterday I bought a wrap to work, it was delicious!

1 large tortilla wrap
    tomato (small)
    spinach (about 20-30 grams)
    kidney beans (50 grams-cooked)
    drizzle balsamic vinaigrette
    light philadelphia cream cheese (20 grams)
    feta cheese (20 grams)

it came out to under 400 calories and was perfect for my 10 hour shift. :)
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I go for good ole PB&J! Aunt Millies 35 calorie Potato Bread and about a teaspoon of PB and a teaspoon of Jelly- roughly 125 calories each and a banana :)
  • Angelajgay11
    Angelajgay11 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Joseph's brand lavash bread (1/2 is 60 calories) Prima Della turkey and honey ham (4 oz total) Garlic herb laughing cow, low sodium vlasic stackers and mustard. Wrap and OMG. So good!!

I make variations on this almost every day - diff meats and cheeses and toppings :)
  • krishnap1104
    krishnap1104 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    How to do prevent the avocado from turning black?
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    I like to marinate chicken breast in a combo of pineapple juice and soy sauce and then grill the chicken. I take fresh sourdough or ciabatta put a little mayo, avocado, whatever veggies I want that day, cheese and then press it in the panini press. Probably my favorite.
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options

You can stick them in the fridge. That will usually keep them an additional couple of days.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options

A little lemon or lime juice and cover with saran so that no air gets to it.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I love leftover bbq chicken in salad so I bet it would be good with a veggie loaded sandwich too! I also really like putting fresh bell peppers on my sandwiches- nice and crunchy and so good with spicy mustard.