Favorite Low Carb Veggie Dishes

Options
I've been looking at different veggies dishes that replace high carb foods (potatoes, rice, corn, etc.) with low carb veggies. I've seen food recipes like mashed cauliflower with Parmesan and sour cream, or roasted radishes. What are your favorite raw, baked, cooked veggie dishes?

Replies

• NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    - Fresh green beans baked with olive oil or oil spray and baked on 400 for 15-20 min.
    Season with salt and pepper and add roasted crushed nuts like almonds before eating.
  • VegAna22
    VegAna22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to replace carbs with lower carbs? Carbs are energy and fuel for the body and brain, eat as much pasta rice and grain you want, that's what we're designed to eat (:
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Sautéed mushrooms, onions, and spiralized zucchini, to be served with a cheeseburger patty. So good...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Wouldn't pretty much any non starchy veg dish be reasonably low carb (just because vegetables have few calories, although percentage-wise high carb)?

Anyway, summer squash and zucchini sauteed in butter. Asparagus, same. Green beans sauteed with pine nuts, dill added at the end is nice. Roasted broccoli and cauliflower. (Not my thing, but my mom used to put a cheese sauce on those.) Roasted brussels (add bacon, you are LCHF, and bacon goes great with brussels). Collard greens boiled with some source of pork fat.
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Roasted veggie anything. We love roasted asparagus, roasted broccoli, roasted brussel sprouts with bacon, roasted carrots (add in parsnips if you like). Season with s/p, garlic powder, crushed red pepper flakes and olive oil. YUM!
    Twice-baked cauliflower (same flavor profile as twice-baked potatoes)
    Cauliflower rice (browned butter, Mexican-style, 'fried' rice). You can buy it frozen from Trader Joes. Just have to microwave and then follow a recipe - super simple. I do not like using my food processor, so this is perfect.
    Zucchini boats ("de-seed" the zucchini, chop it, add sour cream, bacon, cheese. then stuff back into zucchini and bake). I've also done sloppy joe zucchini boats (just cook meat and add sloppy joe sauce or an enchilada sauce) as well.
    "Fried" cabbage. Cut up cabbage and season with s/p/garlic powder. Pour olive oil in pot and then cook cabbage. Add onion and right before it's done, add some apple cider vinegar and crumble cooked bacon on top.
    Squash casserole (just leave off the cracker topping)
    Squash bake (cut up zucchini and squash, add cheese and bake)
    Broccoli slaw (buy from the produce section in grocery store). Cut up an onion and mix. Season with s/p/garlic powder. Cook in skillet with olive oil.

There are lots of things you can make. Do you have a Pinterest account? If not, I'd highly recommend it. Good luck!

I hope I didn't go overboard. :blush:
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    steamed vegetables...still crisp, not limp
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    VegAna22 wrote: »
    Why would you want to replace carbs with lower carbs? Carbs are energy and fuel for the body and brain, eat as much pasta rice and grain you want, that's what we're designed to eat (:

I do it so I can eat more volume for the same amount of calories. The overall amount of carbs I eat stays the same, but the meals are much bigger and more satisfying.