Clean diet while on vacation

Options
Hey everyone , I leave for Wisconsin Dells on June 20th which is about a month away. Ive lost 37 lbs so far and currently weigh 178 pounds. I would like to be down to 170 by the time i go which may be unrealistic because I am down to my last 20 pounds which some say are the hardest.

Anyways , i REALLY don't want to break the rules while on vacation. The fancy eating and late night desserts and drinks may get to me while being in Wisconsin. We are mainly going for the water parks and rides so i know i will be on my feet most of the day. Any tips for keeping a clean diet while on vacation??

Replies

• tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Break the rules... just do it in moderation I'm from Wisconsin and we love our beer and cheese curds here just enjoy it! What park are you going to?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Don't worry about it, it's vacation. Enjoy your vacation and when you get home pick up wherever you left off. I always gain about 8 lbs on vacation and lose it after being home a couple days.

This^^ Have fun for pete's sake. I return a couple of pounds heavier and lose it within a week or so. You will be fine.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,145 Member
    Options
    If you don't REALLY want to break your rules, then don't do it. It is up to you. You can still enjoy your vacation without stuffing yourself with heavy meals, desert and drinks. Use your will power and common sense and take it from there. You are the only one that can decide what is the best approach for YOU.

I personally never understood the thinking that enjoying a vacation means to eat and drink everything on site and came back home with 5 or 10lbs extra weight with the hope to lose it later. That is like yo-yo dieting.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I say enjoy your vacation. That doesn't mean you have to eat everything not nailed down but I certainly wouldn't be worried about staying under goal. It's a vacation. Have that cocktail and enjoy.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    You have a month before you go. Really home in on your portion sizes so you can carry those images with you. You won't have to go without a y of the treats, you can just chose a portion size that suits your calorie goal.
    You can also decide which meal on a day is your high cal meal and make the other meals fit around that.
    Big waffle breakfast =salad and grilled protein for lunch, and a light-ish dinner.

Wonderful fru-fru drinks are calorie laden. Try to limit them to one a day. If it is hot and you are out a very light beer or a gin and 0 tonic can be refreshing.

It is surprising how many extra calories you can burn just walking around all day when on holiday especially if you have a sedentary job. Take advantage of that and allow a few treats.
    Maybe work out how many cals you burn per hr walking then keep a running tally for a cushion.

I rarely gain more than 2 lbs on a 14 night cruise because I am active on port days. It goes in days once I am back home in my usual routine.

Eat and drink within reason and have fun.

Cheers, h.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    What rules are you following that you wish to follow during vacation?
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'd say do Jillian Michaels 30 day shred level 1 or 2 (free in YouTube) religiously till you go. You may not lose 8 lbs but you might see a bit of a difference in tone.
    Also, it's a frickin vacation, take a vacation from trying to lose weight too. When you get back to routine, so will you're eating.
  • IceBaroque
    IceBaroque Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I went on vacation last year and are normally (not crazy by any means) but didn't work out the whole week and didn't watch my calories religiously. I came back and my whole routine was lost! I didn't remember to work out and I stopped eating less...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Don't worry about it, it's vacation. Enjoy your vacation and when you get home pick up wherever you left off. I always gain about 8 lbs on vacation and lose it after being home a couple days.

It's a lifestyle...except for vacations, weekends, cheat days...????
  • kylegeldmaker
    kylegeldmaker Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just got back from vacation (Colorado), I ate what looked tasty, drank tons of water and I actually lost weight. Sometimes the shake up in routines can trigger a positive response. I will say we did lots of walking and climbing, however, for me I'm very active anyway so I don't think that had much to do with loss. I set MFP to maintenance and went and had a great time.
    I suppose the key is be sensible and have fun. I know for me I came back ready to hit the gym and ready to get back to eating my normal diet.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I don't think I've ever actually gained fat weight on a vacation...mostly just water weight attributable to air travel and maybe a little beer bloat...My last trip I came back 8 Lbs over and I was a little concerned, but it was off within three days...all water.

I'm way more active when I'm on vacation than I am at home stuck behind a desk most of the day so it's never been an issue. I leave for Colombia tomorrow and I'm looking forward to the beach, good fresh fish and fresh fruit, and beer and rum...and doing a whole lot of site seeing and walking around and frisbee on the beach....and more fish and more fruit.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    What rules are you following that you wish to follow during vacation?

Yes, @AmandaJuneFit for us to best help you we need to know what a clean diet means to you.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Remember you're on the long-term Journey not a short trip. I went on vacation at the end of March. I ate too much I drank too much but I had a great time. Since then I'm down an additional 15 pounds. When I left for vacation I was 250 now I'm about 235.

Remember for this to work you have to enjoy it. going on vacation and trying to figure out exact calories and can I have this or is this going to blow my cal limit is going to make you miserable and in the long-term it's going to make it a negative experience. enjoy yourself

• Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Actually, last time I went to Noah's Ark (3 yrs ago now) I ate a cheesesteak sandwich and got food poisoning. Missed kayaking the next day, and I was not happy. That was one vacation that I did not gain weight though!

Your experiences may vary.

Anyway, are you staying in a hotel or in a rental home? Every other year or so we'll rent out a large house up there for the extended family on the lake. We buy up some groceries and cook for ourselves & pack lunches. Oh and plenty of beer. We end up only going out to eat 2-3 times during the week. Even if you're in a hotel/motel, you can probably fix yourself a breakfast/morning meal to help with the calorie counting and your preferred foods.

Try not to worry too much if it will detract from a relaxing vacation. You can still log, maybe set yourself at maintenance for your stay, and get back to business with a rested body, mind, and soul.

Oh, and not sure if you've ever been to the Dells, but I don't think I'd term anything I ate there "fancy" as many of the eateries cater to families. Lots of buffets, places with huge portions, and delicious frozen custard. After living here for 10 years (and marrying one; my family is from Maryland), i've found Wisconsinites are rather wonderfully laid back and as unfancy as you can get!

Ok, the more I think about it, the only reason we ever go to the Dells is to have an excuse to sit out on the lake and drink beer. Why do we go there? There are thousands of lakes in this darn state! I've got one a mile away from me!