Looking for help from bodybuilders

Options
Alright so I'm the type of guy that's skinny fat... I understand I need to put on muscle mass in order to look better in and out of clothing. I am new to counting macros and would love some advice on how to work towards my goal of putting on muscle with as little fat as possible due to already being around 20% body fat... Please help I'm new to this all

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    What are your stats?
    If you are skinny fat, you might do better to cut down for a bit before you start adding back in weight.

My general rule of thumb regarding my macro settings are (for what I do for myself):
    Protein == 1.0 - 1.2 gr / pound of body weight
    Fat == 0.35 - 0.4 gr / pound of body weight.
    Carbs will vary depending on if I am cutting or bulking...
    If bulking it will be about 2.5 x body weight....
    Cutting will be 1.5 x body weight and dropping that as I need to if I stop losing.
  • chrisakowalczyk
    chrisakowalczyk Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »
    What are your stats?
    If you are skinny fat, you might do better to cut down for a bit before you start adding back in weight.

My general rule of thumb regarding my macro settings are (for what I do for myself):
    Cutting will be 1.5 x body weight and dropping that as I need to if I stop losing.

I'm not sure this app is telling me 50% carbs 30% fats 20% protein

I weigh 170lbs so I'm guessing I need to lose fat first
  • aliciapastorlecha
    aliciapastorlecha Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You can set the macros on your fitness pal. If you want to add muscle you need to eat a surplus, which means you will be adding muscle, but fat too, that would be when you are bulking.
    When you cut, is when you start eating on a deficit, you loose fat and your muscles show.
    What MityMax96 suggests is good for a male
  • eugnl
    eugnl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I sent a friend request. If you have any specific questions feel free to send em my way!
  • chrisakowalczyk
    Options
    You can set the macros on your fitness pal. If you want to add muscle you need to eat a surplus, which means you will be adding muscle, but fat too, that would be when you are bulking.
    When you cut, is when you start eating on a deficit, you loose fat and your muscles show.
    What MityMax96 suggests is good for a male

Awesome thanks for all the help
  • chrisakowalczyk
    Options
    eugnl wrote: »
    I sent a friend request. If you have any specific questions feel free to send em my way!

Sweet! Thanks!
  • MityMax96
    Options
    What are your stats?

I'm not sure this app is telling me 50% carbs 30% fats 20% protein

I weigh 170lbs so I'm guessing I need to lose fat first

What is your height?

I went ahead and paid the $50 for a year for MFP, so I can set my macros how I want vs. what the website/app does....so your call on how you want to do it....
    But just work out the numbers on paper and then set your goals here as close as possible to those numbers....
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    MFP uses percentages, but the system that @mitymax96 mentioned is better; going by bodyweight. I calculate what my macros should be using a similar method (I use different amounts, but the principle is the same), then adjust the percentages on mfp until it's somewhere close. It isn't an exact science anyway.

To avoid putting on too much fat you want to eat at a very small surplus, maybe TDEE+200, but you will still put on some fat regardless.

At 20% I would normally recommend starting with a cut (around TDEE - 4-500 cal), if you are new to lifting you will probably be able to put on some muscle while cutting if you keep the deficit small (3-400). However if you are skinny-fat eating at maintenance or very small surplus for a while might also be a good idea; muscle gains could offset the fat gain and lower your BF% that way.

• kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Heres a calculator that may help
  • woody2288
    woody2288 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If you bulk first go for a gradual increase in calories. Find your maintenence and add 200-300 calories, track for a week or two and if your not gaining slightly increase cals. Doing it this way will help you make gains with little fat gain.
  • chrisakowalczyk
    Options
    Awesome!! Thank you to everyone helping me!!!
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Welcome

Good Luck
  • chrisakowalczyk
    Options
    Welcome

Good Luck

I'm 5'8 170lbs 20yeara old in a few weeks.

I guess I'll take this information and hope I begin to have better results!
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I would advise then at those stats.
    Start lifting (heavy, compound lifts, think StrongLifts 5x5)
    And cut calories.
    Shoot for ~145 - 150
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Welcome

Good Luck

I'm 5'8 170lbs 20yeara old in a few weeks.

I guess I'll take this information and hope I begin to have better results!
    I think MityMax has given you really good advice. I'm 5'8" 190 and about 16% body fat. I do 1.2 grams protein per pound, 1 gram carbs and .25 fat and lift about an hour a day 5 days a week. This keeps me in a deficit. I've dropped 50 pounds of fat and added about 10 pounds of muscle. You can adjust your stuff around after a few weeks when you see what your trend looks like. Don't expect over night results and stick with it.

Be sure to weigh and measure everything you eat. It's amazing how guessing will get you way off.
  • chrisakowalczyk
    Options
    Awesome I'll try to lower my bf% first. I'd like to weigh what I weight now but of course look a lot better.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I know that feeling. Trust me.
    I started back in 2013 at 183
    When I got really cut/shredded I was in at 165.
    I weigh 170 at 6'1
    So it's a long process.
  • BrentJulius
    BrentJulius Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Looking at your stats and assuming you are working out and lifting at least 4 days a week, here is my suggestion: I'd try setting daily macros at 190 grams protein, 190 grams carbs, and 70 grams fat a day which would be 2150 calories a day. Split over 5 meals would be shooting for around 30-40 grams protein/carbs per meal and 14 grams of fat per meal. If you eat something higher in fat or carbs one meal, say, you eat a handful of almonds which has 28 grams of fat, or pasta which has 75 grams of carbs, just cut the amount in other meals. Don't worry about too much protein but make sure you get enough. I find shakes can come in handy for some protein to save money/time and not have to eat chicken all the damn time. Being only 20 you have hormones on your side as well. Find a good workout program that works for you, I like the programs you can get over at bodybuilding.com because you can view and track your workouts super easily with their app too.
  • chrisakowalczyk
    Options
    Looking at your stats and assuming you are working out and lifting at least 4 days a week, here is my suggestion: I'd try setting daily macros at 190 grams protein, 190 grams carbs, and 70 grams fat a day which would be 2150 calories a day. Split over 5 meals would be shooting for around 30-40 grams protein/carbs per meal and 14 grams of fat per meal. If you eat something higher in fat or carbs one meal, say, you eat a handful of almonds which has 28 grams of fat, or pasta which has 75 grams of carbs, just cut the amount in other meals. Don't worry about too much protein but make sure you get enough. I find shakes can come in handy for some protein to save money/time and not have to eat chicken all the damn time. Being only 20 you have hormones on your side as well. Find a good workout program that works for you, I like the programs you can get over at bodybuilding.com because you can view and track your workouts super easily with their app too.

Thanks for the comment man, I really appreciate your advice! I just really want to grow and I'm finding somethings confusing. Some people say lift heavier for 10-12 sets and some say lower the weight a bit and aim for higher reps.. Hopefully I can find a good program on bodybuilding.com and slowly make gains. Do you think I should loose some fat before trying to gain muscle???
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I do an RPT form myself. Reverse pyramid training.
    Kinda gives the best of both worlds.

U can also take a look at Layne Norton's PHAT program.
    I did that for a while. But it is a tough program