Period water weight gain..

Options
So I know that some water weight-gain during one's period is normal, but can weight really fluctuate up between 6-10 lbs?? I was at a specific weight, then up by 9 lbs at the start of my period, still up by 6 lbs a few days later and now, 4 days after my last weigh in, I'm down by 5.8 lbs. I don't know if my scale is broken or if I'm really gaining that much water weight that time of the month..

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh? I think that plays a part in the amount of water you gain/retain. Does your scale seem to work fine otherwise? Have you tested it with something of known weight (ie: a dumbbell)?

~Lyssa
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Are you consuming a lot of sodium during your cycle? If you are then it's definitely possible to gain that much in water weight. Previously when I didn't watch my sodium I would most definitely gain that much. Now that I keep my sodium in check during TOM I might only gain 1-2 lbs and even lose weight by the time it's over. Drinking lots of water helps, too.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Yep, you can. Like the above poster said, a lot of sodium can increase the water weight gain. For me I find it especially so if sodium AND carbs are high. If carbs are low and sodium is high, it's not as bad.
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Carbs and sodium can make your cycle weight gain even more. Drinking lots of water helps with weight loss in general if yourn sodium is high that time of the month then be sure to drink extra water
  • EmilyAquarius
    EmilyAquarius Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I definitely do consume a lot of sodium - however, that's not exclusive to that time in my cycle lol. Does a regular high-sodium intake make a difference that time of the month more so than other times of the month? And I'm definitely horrible about drinking water.. So I will work on that!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I definitely do consume a lot of sodium - however, that's not exclusive to that time in my cycle lol. Does a regular high-sodium intake make a difference that time of the month more so than other times of the month? And I'm definitely horrible about drinking water.. So I will work on that!!

Eh, it's a trend. I'm always high sodium as well. I always assume that I'm holding onto a couple pounds of water weight that I could drop if I needed to...though I don't need to and love salt, so...