Charley horse!

Options
I don't know where else to put this, but since it may be nutritionally related, here we are. I've noticed when I diet, I suffer from Charley horses. In my feet and my calves. I know most people say potassium, but my doctor says no. Doc says its dehydration. But I drink a ton of freaking water and only 2 cups of coffee a day! I've started taking my multi vitamin again hoping that might help. Does anyone else have this issue and what are your ways of dealing with it? Waking up in the morning is excruciatingly painful with this!

Replies

• Kib13
    Kib13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You may need more electrolytes. Potassium is and electrolyte and would be helpful if you're dehydrated.

Do you get much sodium in your diet? How's your magnesium intake?

Try drinking Gatorade or and electrolyte drink mix like EmergenC Electro Mix Sport Drink.

Do you stretch your legs and feet every day? Look up leg and foot stretches on Google. Stretching can help too.

Heat is also good for tight calves and feet.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Happens to people who exercise a lot as well. So may mot be nutritionally connected.
  • cjb3001
    cjb3001 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've suffered with this for years (generally after exercise but can be if I've stood up for too long or if I wear heels) and I used to take magnesium and felt better. I recently bought Epsom salts and magnesium oil spray but haven't really tested them out yet - if you feel a bit out of ideas they weren't expensive and a magnesium supplement isn't either?
  • sindirella21
    sindirella21 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I do yoga regularly and always have so I don't think it's exercise related. I'll try the electrolyte suggestions. Thank you!!
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    Usually lack of blood flow or stretching a cold muscle will cause mine. I try not to stretch before getting out of bed.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem. they come lurking again when i am not drinking enough water (i.e. this past weekend i was away and not drinking my usual gallon+ of water... woke up in the middle of the night in excruciating pain)