New to the gym atmosphere

Options
I've done a lot of light cardio on the elliptical and treadmills at my university gym but I think I could motivate myself more at a local gym that I pay for. The local planet fitness is waiving their premium startup fee and charging $20 a month. Should I go for it? If so, what kind of daily or weekly workout routine should I aim for? I have gained forty pounds in the past two years since I moved to live on my own and go to school (not to mention, I work at a coffee shop and bakery) and I'm trying to find a straightforward way to lose the weight. Stories, advice, and people with similar experiences would be helpful here!

Replies

• MindPump1
    MindPump1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the gym atmosphere! I would love to share my experience, and recommendations, and I hope they help you on your journey. I once was severely over weight, weighing in at 315 pounds. I made a big change in my diet and started working out, and lost 130 pounds dropping down to 185. Over the next couple years, I have gone up and down in weight, back up to 220, and now finally back to 199 and dropping. I have tried all sorts of workout plans and supplements, and honestly, for me at lest, the success was short lived. They would change me, but in order to keep the change going, I would have to add intensity to an already crazy workout, spending 2-3 hours in the gym each day (waste of time!) I came across a fitness podcast a few months back that changed the way I looked at everything, Mind Pump-and since then, I have been following their podcasts, and their programs. They talk about fitness, nutrition, and everything else. They are explicit, but the material is unmatched. Since following them, I have dropped 22 pounds, and seeing incredible gains across all my workouts. If you buy any of their plans, they have videos and guides that walk you through each exercise and show you how to do everything. That is my best recommendation. Don't fall for the crap on the internet, because in 3-4 months your body will plateau and you won't be making any gains. That is what I have found. Best of luck!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Personally I would go the uni gym that us free over paying to go to a PF.
    For weight loss put your stats into MFP, if you just have 40 to lose 1 lbs a week would work nicely. Log accurately using a food scale.

For exercise at the gym look at doing one of the progressive compound lifting programmes to alternate with the cardio you are doing.

Keep it simple.

Cheers, h.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes from within. I pretty much can guaran-damn-tee you your university gym has far better facilities than a PF.

Weight loss comes from eating less. Physical activity (gym or no) is what you do for your health. Don't confuse the two.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Motivation comes from within. I pretty much can guaran-damn-tee you your university gym has far better facilities than a PF.

Weight loss comes from eating less. Physical activity (gym or no) is what you do for your health. Don't confuse the two.

All of this
  • joness43
    joness43 Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    thanks hill -- that really helps. I think the culture surrounding fitness has over complicated this process and I've been sucked in to think that it is much more elaborate than it is or needs to be.
  • joness43
    joness43 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

All of this

thanks hill -- that really helps. I think the culture surrounding fitness has over complicated this process and I've been sucked in to think that it is much more elaborate than it is or needs to be.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Just avoid the jerks that forget they were beginner once. Seems this type occurs in all activities be it on a mountain full of skiers and snow boarders or a skate park. Even cycling on the road.
    Working with a personal trainer in the beginning can be very helpful at overcoming fear of the unknown. They will help you with proper technique and also how not to hurt yourself by pushing too hard too fast.
    Planet Fitness is not necessarily the best place to go. It is okay for beginners but you might find yourself bored if you are doing things right and making progress.
    Plenty of threads on PF here.
    For me, the true no judgement zone is the YMCA. Nowhere else will you see 20 somethings working out side by side with 80 somethings. Nobody judges you for grunting a little. No buzzers to shame people.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Just commit to logging your food for a month and see if you lose a couple pounds that way.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    joness43 wrote: »
    I've done a lot of light cardio on the elliptical and treadmills at my university gym but I think I could motivate myself more at a local gym that I pay for. The local planet fitness is waiving their premium startup fee and charging $20 a month. Should I go for it? If so, what kind of daily or weekly workout routine should I aim for? I have gained forty pounds in the past two years since I moved to live on my own and go to school (not to mention, I work at a coffee shop and bakery) and I'm trying to find a straightforward way to lose the weight. Stories, advice, and people with similar experiences would be helpful here!

I personally loathe PF, but do what you gotta do.
    Just commit to logging your food for a month and see if you lose a couple pounds that way.

Don't do that! It's true that weight loss is all about what you eat; however, optimal health requires you to be active. Even if that involves joining intramurals and forgoing the gym membership.
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Just avoid the jerks that forget they were beginner once. Seems this type occurs in all activities be it on a mountain full of skiers and snow boarders or a skate park. Even cycling on the road.
    Working with a personal trainer in the beginning can be very helpful at overcoming fear of the unknown. They will help you with proper technique and also how not to hurt yourself by pushing too hard too fast.
    Planet Fitness is not necessarily the best place to go. It is okay for beginners but you might find yourself bored if you are doing things right and making progress.
    Plenty of threads on PF here.
    For me, the true no judgement zone is the YMCA. Nowhere else will you see 20 somethings working out side by side with 80 somethings. Nobody judges you for grunting a little. No buzzers to shame people.

I find the judgement free zone to be Crossfit :).

And then there's this. The word motivation, which people, especially those new to exercising, don't really understand. Motivation, I don't really agree with the statement above because the actions of a lot of my fellow gym mates motivate me to work harder, but tbh motivation is useless. Motivation is NOT CONSTANT. It will disappear when you need it the most. You don't need motivation, you need discipline. Think of the gym as a required class that you have to attend. And like most college classes, you get out what you put in. You're either dedicated or you're not. That's your choice. Motivation isn't going to change that.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Personally I would go the uni gym that us free over paying to go to a PF.
    For weight loss put your stats into MFP, if you just have 40 to lose 1 lbs a week would work nicely. Log accurately using a food scale.

For exercise at the gym look at doing one of the progressive compound lifting programmes to alternate with the cardio you are doing.

Keep it simple.

Cheers, h.

This. Especially the keep it simple.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    MindPump1 wrote: »
    ... I came across a fitness podcast a few months back that changed the way I looked at everything, Mind Pump-and since then, I have been following their podcasts, and their programs. They talk about fitness, nutrition, and everything else... Don't fall for the crap on the internet, because in 3-4 months your body will plateau and you won't be making any gains. That is what I have found. Best of luck!

Advocates a podcast, says to not fall for crap on internet. Brilliant.

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    ... I came across a fitness podcast a few months back that changed the way I looked at everything, Mind Pump-and since then, I have been following their podcasts, and their programs. They talk about fitness, nutrition, and everything else... Don't fall for the crap on the internet, because in 3-4 months your body will plateau and you won't be making any gains. That is what I have found. Best of luck!

Man, I was just about to write this.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter where you belong if they have the facilities you need. I like going to classes so Planet Fitness isn't a good fit for me. Also, I need a pool, so the Y and Parks & Recreation are better.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I work at a University so i have access to the University gym..I would stick to that. I know for fact that our pool alone rocks any gym in a 50 mile radius. Better locker and shower facilities and free WiFi which many gyms don't offer. The only thing I feel like I'm missing are group classes so I do have a LA Fitness membership also but I'm finding myself less and less going. Unless you need to group classes, stick to the university gym.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    I go to PF, but free is a great option if they have all the equipment you need. I work out in the mornings, 5 days a week. I do a warm up on a stationary bike, usually about 15 minutes. MWF I do legs, TTH I do arms and back, W I do cardio and abs. It works well for me, but find the routine you like. I love lifting as heavy as I can and I love doing legs, so I do it more often. Honestly lifting weights, I don't see a lot of weight loss, but I do see changes in my body more, So if you're more interested in tone rather than a number, lift heavy :p
  • MindPump1
    MindPump1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

HA! Your funny! Your right, I am talking about a podcast. One that goes against the grains of everything in the fitness industry. Maybe you should open eyes to all the crap out there and take some time to listen to them? The crap on the internet that I'm talking about is all the fad diets, or get shredded in 10 days/10 weeks etc. Health is a life long journey, and very seldom do you see instant results. So YES I suggest to listen to a group of trainers that will help you better understand how to navigate the world of fitness, because they have helped me. I have seen amazing results, and I know the people that follow them have done so as well. Take it as you will.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There is no specific gym atmosphere -- gyms vary a lot. My last university gym (it's been years) was great and I'd take it over many commercial gyms. As for what kind of workout (which actually determines what kind of gym to seek and if you have any reason to find a new one), it depends on your goals. For years I just wanted somewhere I could swim and do cardio when it was cold out. Now I mainly use the gym for weights and occasional classes. Are you interested in strength training or the cardio only?