Dizzy day AFTER exercise?

Options
ispymo
ispymo Posts: 12 Member
Hi,

I'm looking for advice.

Yesterday I walked around 27 miles for charity, something which I have done so many times before. I didn't really train this year, but have been going spinning twice a week doing about 15 miles on the bike each time. I have also been going for a few walks (nothing really over 4 miles) maybe every other week.

When I was doing it I thought I ate quite well, I had three rolls with ham, a banana, some crisps, sweets for sugar and lots and lots of water. Like about 2 1/2 litres at least I'd guess. Oh and lucozade. Afterwards I ate a macaroni cheese for dinner, drunk more water had a bath and went to bed.

I didn't really sleep very well as my legs are in SO much pain, and when I woke up today (apart from the legs) I felt fine. But now, about an hour later I have come over SO dizzy. I can't focus on anything, I feel sick, and everytime I move the room spins so much I have to stop and let it settle/go back to bed. I haven't eaten anything today as I am really not a breakfast person but this is completely normal for me.

Some background on me - I do have low blood pressure, I believe at average it's around 90/60 to 100/60. I do drink so much water usually, everyone is always so shocked by how much I drink! I also always wake up during the nights. I get heart palpitations a lot too, am waiting the results of a 24 hour BP machine and am scheduled to have a 24 hour ECG in July (so far away I know).

Does anyone know if this is normal after a long walk? I don't recall getting this after any of the other times I've done the walk so don't know why this all of a sudden! Although my BP has only recently (since Marchish) been registered as 'Low'.

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• steponebyone
    steponebyone Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It sounds like this could be from low BP. I would consult a physician.
  • tbonethemighty
    tbonethemighty Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Get thee to a doctor. Or at least get thee to the telephone to call a medical hotline and make sure it's nothing serious. Dizziness to the point of movement impairment isn't something to screw around with.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    With all the various things going on with your health, I'd suggest speaking to a doctor!

If you're on a big calorie deficit and do a lot of exercise, you could have a weakened immune system which could result an inner ear infection. The stress could also cause vestibular problems (which could also be related to non-exercise stress and you've just pushed your body that bit too far).

OTOH, isn't dizziness a sign of low blood pressure?
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I also have low blood pressure and find the dizziness is fairly normal after big "stresses" on my body, like your 27 mile walk. Usually I either rest for a bit, eat something with added salt or worst case scenario if it's really bad...drink a cup of salt water.
  • ispymo
    Options
    I've not been eating very well for the past few weeks and have come off MFP really, so haven't been on a calorie defecit. Yesterday I hate about 1,500 calories and did 67,000 steps (2,417 extra calories) according to MFP.

Yeah they have said that dizziness is a sign of Low BP, but are putting it down to my anxiety at the moment (which I am totally disagreeing with, had one without the other for years). A few people have said about an ear problem which I do think could be the issue, will mention it next time I go to GP.

It's always such a nightmare to get a GP app on the day though, and I always feel like I'm wasting their time which I would hate!

Thanks
  • ispymo
    Options
    Yeah when I can manage to get myself to the kitchen I'm gonna have some protein, salt and lucozade. I do get it a fair bit it just feel so much worse today
  • capaul42
    Options
    ispymo wrote: »
    Yeah when I can manage to get myself to the kitchen I'm gonna have some protein, salt and lucozade. I do get it a fair bit it just feel so much worse today

So understand! I hate my low bp but we manage the best we can eh?
  • ispymo
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »

Yeah, I am trying! GP given me minimal help with it though 'lie down when you feel dizzy..' errr I feel dizzy 90% of the time so thats useless...
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    My advice is don't take medical advice from strangers on the interwebz
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Could you have meniere's disease?
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Low electrolytes, dehyrdation, low blood pressure.

Sounds like you drink so much water that you are flushing out what your body need - electrolytes.

Hammer Nutrition makes Endurolytes. Salt Stick makes Salt Stick Caps. Invest in a bottle of one or the other and follow the directions - especially since you pound the water too much (or so it sounds).

You were not trained for that duration this year and exceeded your body's adaptation to the training stress you put on it during the event.

• earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Kinda sounds like anemia to me.
  • capaul42
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »

Yeah, I am trying! GP given me minimal help with it though 'lie down when you feel dizzy..' errr I feel dizzy 90% of the time so thats useless...

My doctor too! I also have a tendency towards vasal vagal syncope, meaning my hr drops along with my bp and I pass out. Fun stuff. You'd think with the way I used to eat that I would have gotten high blood pressure, but nope lol.
  • motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Agree with others, consult your physician.

Also agree that dizziness is a symptom of low BP which you mention you know you have. It also can be Vertigo related to maybe an inner ear infection.

I've had vertigo before, and the dizziness sucks; but agree with the advice of your GP, regardless of what the cause of your dizziness is, the only thing you really can do in the interim until you determine what's causing it is to be still! If you're dizzy 90% of the time, then unfortunately you should just be still for 90% of the time.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • ispymo
    Options
    earth_echo wrote: »
    Kinda sounds like anemia to me.

I've had all anemia tested and I'm 'slightly' low but no cause for concern. My Mum is anaemic though so maybe I'm heading that way too.
    Low electrolytes, dehyrdation, low blood pressure.

Sounds like you drink so much water that you are flushing out what your body need - electrolytes.

Hammer Nutrition makes Endurolytes. Salt Stick makes Salt Stick Caps. Invest in a bottle of one or the other and follow the directions - especially since you pound the water too much (or so it sounds).

You were not trained for that duration this year and exceeded your body's adaptation to the training stress you put on it during the event.

I have never really trained for this event - and never felt this bad. But like I said my Low BP and dizziness has been something that has come on over the last year.

I know there's nothing really I can do about it until I find out what it is, but my Dr is in no rush (seemingly) to find out whats wrong. I collapsed a couple of months ago and they never found out why, got taken to A&E twice because of it/Low BP and again nothing clarified. It's hard to say sit still 90% of the time when I'm going for job interviews, have a job, try and stay fit and healthy etc etc. I am a very busy and active person, always have been, and hvaing no energy or breath to do anything is so frustrating :(

Thanks for all the help, it cleared up the next day but still experiencing my normal symptoms.

• kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    dietstokes wrote: »

My mom has this and it kinda sounds like this to me. But I wouldn't mess with Blood pressure either. See a doctor.
  • ispymo
    Options
    dietstokes wrote: »

My mom has this and it kinda sounds like this to me. But I wouldn't mess with Blood pressure either. See a doctor.

Thanks for the reply. I am starting to think it might be more of an ear thing as my balance is going, like I said I hate booking Drs apps for them to make me feel like I'm wasting time, but it might have to be so!