Kitchen equipment that help with dieting

Options
JaydedMiss
JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
So I know things like blenders help, and I don't have a whole lot of money to buy a bunch of new stuff, but I'm curious what you guys use. Is there any equipment or items that are extra useful in fresh food dietary cooking?

Replies

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    duddysdad wrote: »
    Get a digital scale and learn to use it. That will be the single most important tool you can buy.

This

And really, anything you will actually use. Gadgets are just that, gadgets and won't make you a brilliant cook (or even a good cook) overnight since you still have to use them and you still have to be mindful of the ingredients you use.

Edited to add: I love to cook and barely have anything in my kitchen (basic pots and pans and dishes. Anything else is optional)
  • Challaz001
    Challaz001 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The most valuable thing you can buy is most definately the scale!

Personally I often use an electric grill with greaseproof paper. I grill almost everything I eat (vegetables, mushrooms, meat, even omelets!)
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Scales, sure.

I have a pretty large collection of Tupperware type containers. These save me time (because I do a lot of batch prep cooking) and money (because I save leftovers).

My biggest money saving thing is a pad an pencil: I pre-plan our meat on a monthly basis and order that online. I then work out weekly food plans covering lunches and evening meals. This means that I spend less time cooking and washing up, spend less money on food, and waste less.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    My most used kitchen equipment:
    - Digital kitchen scale (essential)
    - Measuring cups and spoons (for liquids)
    - Julienne slicer- to make courgette/ carrot ‘spaghetti’ (better than a spiraliser imo)
    - Big cast iron pot with lid (for soup/ stew/ casserole)
    - Heavy roasting tin (for roasted vegetables)
    - French peeler (for peeling veg)
    - Cast iron sauce pan (for porridge & heating soups)
    - Cast iron frying pan (for omelettes)
    - Grater (for grating carrots and apples)
    - Chopping knives, paring knives etc.
    - Wok (not for stir frying- but for mixing steamed veg with a sauce –like pesto)
    - Lots of glass jars for storage (I don’t like plastic). I keep jars from pickles , ready-made pesto etc.- I don’t always buy expensive kilner/ mason jars
    - A few silicone baking trays for making crustless quiches
    - Microwave egg poacher. (I tried a ‘poach pod’ but it took too long). I’m used to rubbery microwave eggs now!
    - Steamer- I have a stove top one and a microwave one. Not sure I’d use an electronic one.
    I do have a crock pot, a mixer and a nutribullet but don’t use them much. I’d like a food processor – but not sure id use it.
    My meals tend to revolve around roasted veg, salads, soups, stews, casseroles, fruit, yoghurt, roasted meat and omelettes. (I don’t eat pasta, rice, potatos etc. – bread only minimally- for preference. I prefer crunchy carbs to soggy carbs. I don’t bake- unless forced to)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    What I use alot is a handheld immersion mixer which I use to pure' slightly cooked vegetables, and make morning mug cakes. It cleans up easily, so I use it instead of my food processer when I can.
  • healthykaitlin
    healthykaitlin Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Digital scale, as everyone has already mentioned :D

I also love mason jars for storing leftovers in individual portions to last the week. The glass keeps the food fresher so I'm not as turned off by leftovers as I had been previously, but that's just me.

I also have a ninja food processor/blender that I got at Walmart for maybe $20... Loved it so much I upgraded to the larger one for around $40 I think? I use it almost every day... Cauliflower rice, nicecream, sauces, etc.

I also have a Palerno spiralizer to make spiraled veggie "pasta"

Lastly, a good knife set is worth the splurge
  • BettyEtte
    BettyEtte Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Not a must-have, but I love my Vegetti spiralizer for making zucchini noodles (zoodles).
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    What do you all use the kitchen scales for? I dont eat meat if thats its main use
  • healthykaitlin
    healthykaitlin Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    What do you all use the kitchen scales for? I dont eat meat if thats its main use

It's the easiest way to confirm nutritional info since measuring cups & other tools aren't foolproof... So, everything. I weigh any flour, breadcrumbs, sugars, even packaged food to confirm the calories. I generally weigh everything but fruit & veggies because I'm not as concerned about the calories from those at the moment.. Not ruling it out for the future though.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

If you're going for weightloss, a digital scale is priceless. It accurately weighs all food so you can log it into MFP.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Everything!! Seriously! Do NOT use cups or whatever Americans seem to consider are ways of measuring recipe quantities! Weigh your cereal for breakfast, weigh the fruit you put on top, weigh your cheese, meats, rice, pasta etc. If you use condiments, weigh the unused bottle/jar, zero the scale with it on, take your spoonful or squeeze out the product, and reweigh the container to work out how much mayo/ketchup/honey/syrup etc you just used!

Otherwise, how on earth can you accurately work out your calories - anything else is a guesstimate, including cup measurements.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    awesome ill look for one
  • GeertH
    GeertH Posts: 18 Member
    Options

A digital kitchen scale can be used to weigh any food. Weight measurements will be the most accurate for tracking. It is a lot of work and can make cooking a hassle, but after a while it becomes second nature. Plus, the longer you do it, the better you get at estimating the weight of foodstuffs just by looking at them (convenient for those situations in which weighing isn't an option).
    It doesn't have to be expensive. Get something that looks sturdy. A digital scale is best, since the readout is easy and you can tare the weight. For example, you can put a tupperware container or bowl on the scale, press a button to reset it to 0 and then put in the food to weigh. I'd advise a flat scale, not one that comes with a bowl, since that can be inconvenient for some foodstuffs and you can put something on it when needed anyway. Advanced features like built-in nutrient values for foods may seem useful, but there's too much variation out there so you're better off just using MFP entries anyway, doing some research will teach you more (for example, water weighs 1 gram per ml but olive oil will be around 0.9 gram per ml) and it'd just make it more expensive.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Glad you're on board with the food scale.

I'm a reasonably good cook. I mostly just use a cutting board/knife, bowls, and a few pots and pans. I have some gadgets, but rarely use them. A spiralizer seemed nifty and I think I've used it twice. A mandoline is more generally useful.

The only two spendy appliances I have are an Artisan stand mixer and a Vitamix blender. I don't use them daily (though the blender is getting good use ATM), but they are awesome to have when you need them. The mixer really only gets a workout around holidays. I like to bake, but need a good excuse to give away most of it since we are only a family of three.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

I weigh everything (but not most pre-packaged stuff). I weigh each item as I add it to my salad. I weight coconut fat before use. I weigh apples, yoghurt, berries, oats, vegatables etc.- not just meat.

I only really use measuring cups for almond milk. I find weighing easier.

• AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options

Use it for everything... literally. Protein powder, meat, fruit, veggies, snacks, milk, eggs etc etc..
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Good, sharp knives. You don't need a bunch of extra gadgets if you have good knives - my general rule is if it only serves one purpose, it probably doesn't need to be taking up space in my tiny kitchen. Avocado slicers, pineapple corers, etc. take up valuable space and I can accomplish the same things with a knife.

The blender/Ninja mentioned above is also great if you like smoothies, fresh hummus, making sauces, and blending soups.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Food scale
    Mandolin slicer (along with slicing gloves; VERY important)
    George Foreman Grill - In about 20 minutes you can grill a serving of meat and a serving of veggies. Quick and easy.
    Hand wand type blender - I use this when I'm adding stuff to protein such as peanut butter or blueberries.