Struggling with cravings

Options
13»

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    I misunderstood her original post. I looked back. I thought she'd said that she ate cream EGGS, not just one. I agree. This is neither binging nor "addiction."

I thought she was talking about Cadbury cream eggs-- not just one. Lol. :)
  • Codyroo5539
    Codyroo5539 Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I get those too. My suggestion - there is a product (in the US) called Adora calcium supplements. They are a chocolate wafer, around 30 kcals that provides a bunch of calcium. That way, you get your chocolate fix AND you are getting calcium (with some magnesium too).

http://www.adoracalcium.com/

You can get this on Amazon or other online retailers.

Good luck!
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Even when I am full after a meal I am getting to the point where I am going mad for chocolate or something sweet! I eat well and stick to my meal plans within my calories during the day, The only sugar I usually eat all day is a banana for breakfast.
    Then after my evening meal I blow it all and end up over my calories- today on a Cream egg! This is becoming a regular occurrence this last couple of weeks. Feeling guilty and disappointed in myself now :(

• xjessicaxrx
    xjessicaxrx Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Wow, what the broscience happened in this thread?

Wanting one sweet thing at the end of the day is not sugar addiction/binging/out of control. It's putting her 150 calories over her goal, still well below her maintenance calories, and not leading to extreme eating behavior. She's been restricting calories for a long time, long enough that she's missing foods she enjoys. Her behavior indicates she's capable of moderation; it's just a matter of deciding if she raises her calories a bit and gets to her desired weight a little slower or if she finds strategies to keep her at the same calorie goal.

There's several people in here projecting their own food issues on the OP. If you'd like to discuss your concerns about sugar addiction, insulin resistance, binging, etc., that would probably be best done in your own thread instead of hijacking hers.

Wow I am thankful to people like this you have restored my faith! Until this post I was thinking what the hell- Im a binge eater and have a sugar addiction similar to heroin now because I ate one cream egg hahahaha!
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Oh. I thought you really were having cravings!

• DebSozo
    Options
    "Going mad for something chocolate or sweet" is different than " I think I'll go over my daily requirements by 150 calories".
  • xjessicaxrx
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    "Going mad for something chocolate or sweet" is different than " I think I'll go over my daily requirements by 150 calories".

And its hardly binge eating either is it?
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    robs_ready wrote: »
    Even when I am full after a meal I am getting to the point where I am going mad for chocolate or something sweet! I eat well and stick to my meal plans within my calories during the day, The only sugar I usually eat all day is a banana for breakfast.
    Then after my evening meal I blow it all and end up over my calories- today on a Cream egg! This is becoming a regular occurrence this last couple of weeks. Feeling guilty and disappointed in myself now :(

Had the same problem, replaced it with fruit, never got a craving again.

fruit can put you over goals as quick as chocolate can.

I have a half-empty bag of sweet cherries that totally confirms this.

OP - just work some sweets or chocolate into your calories. One of my favorites is Sanders dark chocolate and sea salt caramels. Rich, decadent, yummy and only 70 cals each.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Wanting one sweet thing at the end of the day is not sugar addiction/binging/out of control. It's putting her 150 calories over her goal, still well below her maintenance calories, and not leading to extreme eating .

This extra information is good to know considering she didn't include it in the original post. Thank you for the update! If that only puts her well below maintenance calories then no worries. I also read the OP wrong. Apologies.
  • xjessicaxrx
    Options
    I really appreciate all the "reasonable" comments thank you, some others there are just no words for, some people are just crazy...
    I feel much better today, I think I may have just restricted my sugar for so long and needed a treat.
  • DebSozo
    Options

And its hardly binge eating either is it?

Not at all.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    I don't get the title of this thread though. It threw me off. I guess cravings for me are more extreme. :(
  • xjessicaxrx
    Options
    I don't get the title of this thread though. It threw me off. I guess cravings for me are more extreme. :(

I would have walked miles on hot coals for that cream egg last night though! Haha :)
  • DebSozo
    Options

I would have walked miles on hot coals for that cream egg last night though! Haha :)
    Lol
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Nice you don't have the more serious issues, though. You are fortunate.
  • Sarah_Shapes_Up
    Sarah_Shapes_Up Posts: 76 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I like to chew gum.. A LOT OF GUM and maybe fill up on a zero calorie beverage/diet soda. That and plan for the treat I want! Like someone else said, pre-log it. I actually do this with all my food most days to make sure everything I want fits and I'm hitting my goals (I count macros, not just calories.) 150 cal chocolate egg should be easy fit, especially if you're eating nutrient dense foods the rest of the day. Sometimes my "treats" rack up 400 calories! (my goal is 1500) That's usually something special on the weekend though. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you want the egg, eat the egg. Just log it and plan for it.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    My main concern is that I am doing it when I am not even hungry, after iv just finished a good sized meal? When I am actually hungry chocolate is the last thing I want... Am I just weird? Haha

Perhaps (as others mentooned) you could simply budget chocolate into your daily calories? 150 calories is a nice snack allowance.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Wow, what the broscience happened in this thread?

Wanting one sweet thing at the end of the day is not sugar addiction/binging/out of control. It's putting her 150 calories over her goal, still well below her maintenance calories, and not leading to extreme eating behavior. She's been restricting calories for a long time, long enough that she's missing foods she enjoys. Her behavior indicates she's capable of moderation; it's just a matter of deciding if she raises her calories a bit and gets to her desired weight a little slower or if she finds strategies to keep her at the same calorie goal.

There's several people in here projecting their own food issues on the OP. If you'd like to discuss your concerns about sugar addiction, insulin resistance, binging, etc., that would probably be best done in your own thread instead of hijacking hers.

Sometimes I learn from other people's problems or issues. If they don't pertain "eat the chicken and spit out the bones".

I respect that and understand learning from other people's experiences, but the OP had already elaborated on her situation. There were several posters (not just you) who glossed over her follow-up posts and provided advice not particularly relevant to her issue.

Everyone has different experiences with cravings. Yours is very intense; mine are certainly milder. I have different levels of cravings, too - there's days where a bite of chocolate sounds nice, and if it fits in my calories I'll have it, but if it doesn't I don't eat it and don't feel distressed about it in any way. Other days I want a burger, and my healthy leftovers won't be satisfying. I usually indulge this too, even if it blows out my calories for the day. I'm on point for the rest of the week, so it's fine. Then there's something I think of as the "binge craving" - I don't crave a specific food, I crave a massive volume of food. It's emotional. This is the one I ride out and don't indulge if at all possible. They're all some form of my brain signaling "I want this," but the intensity varies.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate all the "reasonable" comments thank you, some others there are just no words for, some people are just crazy...
    I feel much better today, I think I may have just restricted my sugar for so long and needed a treat.

Glad you're feeling better today :) hope you find a balance that works for you!
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    My main concern is that I am doing it when I am not even hungry, after iv just finished a good sized meal? When I am actually hungry chocolate is the last thing I want... Am I just weird? Haha

No, I have a small amount of really good dark chocolate (or sugar free sweets) of some sort every night after dinner. In my brain, that signals the end of the meal. I could try to stop, but why? I plan it and make it fit into my calorie "budget." Then my brain is satisfied.