Horrible stomach!

Options
2»

Replies

• Curlykae89xx
    Curlykae89xx Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    katsoslim wrote: »
    Focus on core exercises like TONS of planks... Planks with leg lifts, side planks, planks into downward dog, squeezing planks.. Etc. ;) Have you tried a group class that focuses on core? I've heard great things about pilates and yoga from friends who've had loose stomachs or pouches after giving birth. Whatever you do, don't give up! :) You sound like you're well on your way to accomplishing your goals.

I've never tried Pilates or yoga but would definitely be something I think I would consider. I will never give up I feel like a totally different person from who I was. I think I'll need to watch a few videos on YouTube and maybe steal some to make up my own routine xx
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    No I have been weight lifting for almost 2 years now. I just meant to reach target before waiting to concentrate on toning and shape change with no further weight loss x

Surgery might be the only option, though sometimes it's just a letter of waiting for the skin to bounce back.
    Just depends on you and your body really.

Good job on the fat loss:)

What routine are you doing in terms of lifting weights?
    Do you work your core and abs?

I had been going a mix of sit ups, crunches. Kettle bell & Swiss ball exercises as well as using weights I think I need to concentrate on it specifically for a while. I've Also started running to get more body fat off xx

As a few posters mentioned above, you would benefit from following a set routine, like a 5x5 sorta thing.
    Whilst working your core and abs every other other day.

Drinking a lot of water is good for the skin as well, maybe it'll help you with your elasticity.

Planks, side planks, leg raises, knee raises, hangin leg raises etc are excellent for your core and abs.

Start following routine and make sure you're logging numbers as well, either on a notepad or an app.

If after doing everything, the skin doesn't fix, then it might be time to consider other solutions like surgery etc.

• JessaWannaEatEverything
    JessaWannaEatEverything Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Planks Planks Planks! Also,dry brushing and oil based moisturizers (sweet almond oil is my fav) really helped me. Even those workout waist wrappers helped my stomach look less saggy (but only for a short time - I used to use them before I would have to wear a swim suit, or if I had to wear something tight.)
  • BinaryFu
    BinaryFu Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Saggy/flabby skin has to do with skin elasticity, not muscle tone. Toning your muscles doesn't change your skin's elasticity. In fact it will do nothing, except give you something to do while you wait for your skin to respond.

However, that being said, are you sure it *is* loose skin only?

I would refer you to This article at Muscle For Life. I would particularly like to point out this section:

"While there are legit cases of excess skin after weight loss, what many people think is loose or excess skin is actually just excess body fat, which is soft and jiggly and easily mistaken as skin.

There’s an easy way to tell if you’re dealing with actual loose skin or too much body fat.

Pinch the area you’re concerned with and if you can grab more than a few millimeters of skin, there’s more fat in there to lose. (Calipers are useful for this type of testing as well as body fat percentage testing.)

Until you lose that fat, your skin has no reason to return to its former size and tautness. Remember that skin isn’t a curtain of passive, inert flesh–it’s a living organ that adapts to its internal and external environments. As long as the fat it’s attached to remains, it will sag."

So while those who claim working out will fix the issue, they are only half right if the issue is that you still have some loose, saggy fat to remove still. The workouts will help you shed the remaining fat, but only in so much as you follow CICO rules.

The workouts will however improve your muscles underneath the fat, which will help in the long run.

I hope this helps give you an accurate and informed explanation to your problem and possible solution.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Hi guys looking for some advice

I have lost 7 stone through healthy eating and exercise. This has been a gradual loss over 2/3 years. I understand that getting to target weight is a good idea before worrying about toning up etc but I am really starting to get down about the appearance of my stomach. I would like to loose another two stone. Which I think could easily come from my stomach area.

I have been left with the dreaded mothers apron! Saggy tummy although I do not have any children. I know this is due to the act amount of fat and weight lost. In the long term I think I may need surgery to fully correct the skin and overhang.

Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem and has advice on the situation

Thanks K xx

Strength training is good only insofar it fills in the loose skin you have left. But if you were fat enough, there's not realistically any amount of bulking you can do to get rid of the loose skin. After about the age of 20, elastin production in the skin decreases significantly. There's really not much that can be done about that, despite what you may have heard.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    2 of my gym sessions each week usually involve strength training. That's why I have been able to make such an improvement on my legs and arms. Which I feel is now making my stomach look even more saggy

What routines are you doing? Your OP is kinda confusing when you say you are waiting to tone.

I think she means waiting to start a recomp.

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Just keep going.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    You can plank all day, it's not going to make a difference if the excess is fat or skin. Diet fixes the fat, time may fix the skin.