How to quit Planet Fitness..??

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    The gallon jug rule has nothing to do with bottle size or tripping. It has everything to do with them wanting it to be a family friendly gym. Keep out the meatheads, the ones who always drop the biggest weights on the floor. You know the type. Is it a stereotype? Yes. Is it true? Yes, as much as I've ever seen.

I was unaware that they are family friendly. One of the few things that I like about PF is that they don't let kids under 13 in there.

are they actually family friendly?

now you gotta be afraid of tripping over someone's spawn????

Kids are also significantly louder than a jug of water. This sounds like a recipe for disaster.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    The gallon jug rule has nothing to do with bottle size or tripping. It has everything to do with them wanting it to be a family friendly gym. Keep out the meatheads, the ones who always drop the biggest weights on the floor. You know the type. Is it a stereotype? Yes. Is it true? Yes, as much as I've ever seen.

I was unaware that they are family friendly. One of the few things that I like about PF is that they don't let kids under 13 in there.

are they actually family friendly?

now you gotta be afraid of tripping over someone's spawn????

Kids are also significantly louder than a jug of water. This sounds like a recipe for disaster.
    I used to go to a really crappy Y. Kids were always around because daycare services were only offered for ninety minutes after school.

The worst thing was the weight room. Moms would hang out there and chat with their kids. I cannot tell you how many times I saw some playing with the machines. The staff was no help. :l

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    WakkoW wrote: »
    The water derailment is amusing.

I don't know why the water thing bugs me so much. It just seems like such a weird and unnecessary rule. Who cares if other people carry around giant jugs of water?

It scares 1-2 people. Their marketing research showed it.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Just ask at the desk. You prob won't be forced to talk to the manager. There's nothing "wrong" or nosey with them asking "why"? They probably have a form they have to fill out and check off the reason. That doesn't obligate you to answer. You can say "personal reasons" or "I'd rather not say." They won't take you into the back room and torture you.

Rules about footwear and large heavy water jugs are established for safety reasons. They don't want someone stubbing their toe, or bumping into someone's 16 lb water jug (weight of a gallon), and suing them. I imagine that many gyms have similar type rules. I go to a small privately owned fitness studio. If someone came in wearing sandals, I'm sure they would be asked to put on proper footwear. In another thread, someone posted about falling off the treadmill when they had a momentary distraction and weren't wearing the safety clip. Accidents are real and most businesses do what they can to help avoid them.

A gallon of liquid weighs 8 lbs. 16 fl oz weighs 16 oz. A pint's a pound a world around.

Fun fact.

I know nothing about gyms, but I know that a UK pint isn't the same as a US pint. It's one of the few things that are larger here (568 ml vs 473 ml).
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Next pf wI'll prohibit sweating as intimidating.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    I'd often walk by a PF, in my area & while I understand why PF implements that water jug rule & I disagree with it. I believe that the rule should be in place, simply because there isn't enough floor space; from what I've seen through their windows. The sides of the machines are literally against each other, so nothing can be placed; in between them. As for the front & back of the machines're isles, that're so narrow; most people can't walk past each other without having to walk sideways. So obviously it's a tripping hazard, at that particular 1.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'd often walk by a PF, in my area & while I understand why PF implements that water jug rule & I disagree with it. I believe that the rule should be in place, simply because there isn't enough floor space; from what I've seen through their windows. The sides of the machines are literally against each other, so nothing can be placed; in between them. As for the front & back of the machines're isles, that're so narrow; most people can't walk past each other without having to walk sideways. So obviously it's a tripping hazard, at that particular 1.

That's fine, and honestly nobody would bat an eye if that's what their policy said instead of "they're scary to members".
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I go to PF. The locker rooms flood every time it rains. There is a service sink, located just inside the women's locker room which means male employees and vendors can walk in at any time and they have, that appears to be breeding mosquito larvae. So the locker room is now mosquito infested. It also gets cleaned maybe once a week. There are frequently used sanitary napkins left on the ground in changing rooms. The clientele went from professional working people to wannabe rappers, annoying, loud, and gossipy college kids, and some old pervy guy who stares at women doing squats. People spit in bottle holders on cardio equipment. Management claims its all beyond their control.

I'm about to jump ship.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I doubt it's a safety issue. Other gyms don't seem to need this silly policy. There's a FB thread on it where someone from PF weighed in and said it was to prevent intimidation. This is also their reason for not permitting deadlifts, apparently (sigh), and intimidating clothing (whatever that is--yes, I do have some idea, the question is rhetorical) is also forbidden.

Their own FAQ explains the gallon jug thing as:

"In order to maintain our No Gymtimidation environment, gallon jugs are not allowed on the club floor."

The idea that their customers are so easily intimidated is precisely why I would never join one. Ugh, how demeaning.

For full disclosure, there's not one convenient to me anyway, though, so it's not like it's an issue.

They're building one soon in our town. I've never set foot in one, but I'll tour it when it opens just so I can sneer at their stupid rules, dumb signs and silly lunk alarm and tell them I'd never join their gym even if they gave me a membership for free. I'm tempted to walk in for the tour wearing combat boots, knee wraps, spandex shorts, a flat bill ball cap and a spaghetti string tank top, carrying a gallon jug of water.

And I'm 54 years old. And not even a meathead.
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Get a video and post it when you do.

Cosigned.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I go to PF. The locker rooms flood every time it rains. There is a service sink, located just inside the women's locker room which means male employees and vendors can walk in at any time and they have, that appears to be breeding mosquito larvae. So the locker room is now mosquito infested. It also gets cleaned maybe once a week. There are frequently used sanitary napkins left on the ground in changing rooms. The clientele went from professional working people to wannabe rappers, annoying, loud, and gossipy college kids, and some old pervy guy who stares at women doing squats. People spit in bottle holders on cardio equipment. Management claims its all beyond their control.

I'm about to jump ship.
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Drop a tip to your local department of health, especially about mosquitoes with the new Zika virus fear. Most of what you state are health code violations.

Cosigned.

Also, if I intended to stay in this facility, every time I saw a used sanitary napkin on the floor I would go to the desk and demand it be removed immediately. Make a fuss and make it the staff's problem. Also take pictures to send to management and the Health Dept.

Actually, this facility sounds so nasty I'm having a hard time believing that if all is really as described you haven't already jumped ship.
  • Jplante312
    Jplante312 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I need to quit also because I no longer work by the one I joined. But do it ASAP before they hit you with the annual fee in June.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    How to quit has been answered.

You sound like you have an issue with being around other humans. No gym would be right for you.

However the pervasive contempt for PF is simply put, annoying. I transformed my body (see profile pic and others in photos) at Planet Fitness.

I am so grateful for my Planet Fitness.
    It's huge compared to other gyms within 3 miles of my home Xsport, La Fitness, and Charter fitness.

The dumbbells range from 5 lbs - 60 lbs in 2.5 lb increments going up in weight. Other local gyms only had 1 set of dumbbells for each weight and no 2.5lb steps up in weight just 5 or even 10 lb jump.

I don't need dumbbells over 60 lbs. If someone does, I'd like to see them curl for reps 6-10 in range with 3+ sets

Nope there is no squat rack. I'm okay with a smith and 45 degree leg press, cables and fixed barbells. La Fitness only had 1 squat rack and one smith. this would never work for me. I am at the gym to grind not wait.

Its always clean the staff is friendly (I'm there 6 days a week) they know me.

every PF is different tho. I've visited most gyms within a 10 mile radius of me and I love my gym.

As for the candy, pizza and bagels, um make it fit into your caloric range. I've never indulged. I've only seen the candy never seen the food.

• MSH2930
    MSH2930 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Jplante312 wrote: »
    I need to quit also because I no longer work by the one I joined. But do it ASAP before they hit you with the annual fee in June.

They already got my annual fee a couple months ago, I guess it depends on when you join.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    How to quit has been answered.

You sound like you have an issue with being around other humans. No gym would be right for you.

However the pervasive contempt for PF is simply put, annoying. I transformed my body (see profile pic and others in photos) at Planet Fitness.

I am so grateful for my Planet Fitness.
    It's huge compared to other gyms within 3 miles of my home Xsport, La Fitness, and Charter fitness.

The dumbbells range from 5 lbs - 60 lbs in 2.5 lb increments going up in weight. Other local gyms only had 1 set of dumbbells for each weight and no 2.5lb steps up in weight just 5 or even 10 lb jump.

I don't need dumbbells over 60 lbs. If someone does, I'd like to see them curl for reps 6-10 in range with 3+ sets

Nope there is no squat rack. I'm okay with a smith and 45 degree leg press, cables and fixed barbells. La Fitness only had 1 squat rack and one smith. this would never work for me. I am at the gym to grind not wait.

Its always clean the staff is friendly (I'm there 6 days a week) they know me.

every PF is different tho. I've visited most gyms within a 10 mile radius of me and I love my gym.

As for the candy, pizza and bagels, um make it fit into your caloric range. I've never indulged. I've only seen the candy never seen the food.

Again why do you think they only thing you do with dumbbells is curl? I do 1 legged romanian dead lifts with an 80 lbs dumbbell for 5x8 oh I also 1 arm row with a 60 lbs db.

No squat rack and olympic bars is a deal breaker. I would rather wait than squat in the smith machine. It's horrible for squatting.
  • moonchildisme
    moonchildisme Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I take water in every time I go, just love the place...sorry
  • MSH2930
    MSH2930 Posts: 161 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Wow this has turned into somewhat of a bash Planet Fitness thread, and that was not my intention.

I have in my 45 years seen and first-hand experienced all ends of the workout spectrum. The 'hardcore' lunkheads, the very regimented fitness buffs, to the newbies, to the ones uncomfortable in a gym.

That all said, I am glad the ones who are uncomfortable in a 'normal' gym surroundings have a place to go. No, Planet Fitness is not for everyone, and even some like myself just do better/feel better working out at home. But unless you have experienced first-hand how uncomfortable it can be to go to the gym, you may or may not understand. I know several people locally alone that are so glad that we have a Planet Fitness local to us, because they are comfortable with their 'system'.

It's not for everyone, and not everyone has to go there. Just like 'traditional' gyms are not for everyone and not everyone has to go there.

It is a gym, they have rules, and you have to respect those rules, whether or not you agree with the rules. I do not agree with some of the rules, so I have chosen to not continue to go.

But I am not going to go seek out trying to get them to change their rules. It is a formula for them of sorts, and I guess it works.

Again, I am glad that those who are uncomfortable in a 'traditional' gym setting have a place to go. It is I believe geared for newbies. You would not go to Curves and complain that they have no free weights, would you...? It is a special type of fitness facility, catered to a certain type of a workout, or for beginners or for those wanting to get or stay fit.

Hopefully the ones who are more 'hardcore' (forgive me, my mind is drawing a blank for a better/more appropriate word), hopefully they can find a gym that suits their needs.

Again, I do not agree with some of their rules, so I have just opted to not go. But some of this is like going to McDonald's and complaining that it is a restaurant, but they do not have filet mignon.

I am glad that it is a gym that caters to beginners or those with a certain fitness level.

Not all gyms are the same, not all gyms are for everyone.

We have at least 4 different types of gyms here (PF, Anytime Fitness, a couple local mom and pop type gyms and oh yes the "Y"), and in each one, people complain because they do not have this or that. Not every gym is perfect and you are going to find things that you do not agree with or wish was different. You either deal with their rules and agree with what they offer or simply do not go.

• positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I doubt it's a safety issue. Other gyms don't seem to need this silly policy. There's a FB thread on it where someone from PF weighed in and said it was to prevent intimidation. This is also their reason for not permitting deadlifts, apparently (sigh), and intimidating clothing (whatever that is--yes, I do have some idea, the question is rhetorical) is also forbidden.

Their own FAQ explains the gallon jug thing as:

"In order to maintain our No Gymtimidation environment, gallon jugs are not allowed on the club floor."

The idea that their customers are so easily intimidated is precisely why I would never join one. Ugh, how demeaning.

For full disclosure, there's not one convenient to me anyway, though, so it's not like it's an issue.

They're building one soon in our town. I've never set foot in one, but I'll tour it when it opens just so I can sneer at their stupid rules, dumb signs and silly lunk alarm and tell them I'd never join their gym even if they gave me a membership for free. I'm tempted to walk in for the tour wearing combat boots, knee wraps, spandex shorts, a flat bill ball cap and a spaghetti string tank top, carrying a gallon jug of water.

And I'm 54 years old. And not even a meathead.

If you do, PLEASE post pics!