Eating in a deficit = no longer being warm?

Options
As long as I can remember I have always basically been a personal space heater. My wife would curl up next to me on cool nights while I sat there with no blankets over me feeling like I was in an oven. My body was always warm to the touch. I never felt cold, even while wearing shorts in the snow.

Now that I am dropping weight and eating at a deficit, I am cold most of the time. I no longer just radiate heat and my wife would rather grab a second blanket than snuggle up to my cold body :(

This normal or happen with anyone else?

Replies

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    It's definitely happened to me. I used to be warm all the time and loved cool weather. Now that I'm eating in a deficit, I'm always cold and I wish it would just hurry up and get warm outside!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes, that happens. I tend to be warm too. While cutting calories, I no longer have that personal space heater feeling. When I go back to eating at maintenance, I get it again.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    How large is your deficit?
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    If I start to feel cold it's a sure sign I'm not eating enough and I need to up my fat.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes normal...I am cold a lot now too after dropping 50+lbs...

not sure it will ever stop.

Yes I eat lots btw.
  • Sarah_Shapes_Up
    Sarah_Shapes_Up Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm always colder when eating at a deficit. I like make a huge cup of tea and sip it until I sweat.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Yup. I get a little warmer again if I go to maintenance, but not anything like when I was overweight. On the plus side, no more excessive sweating and I am way more comfortable in the summer heat!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I am constantly cold when I eat less.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you lol
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I was a constant furnace and couldn't decide if it was my deficit or menopause that made me cold.
    Making sure I are back nearly all my exercise calories and switching my macros to 40c, 30p, 30f really helped me. Or it could have been I had reached post menopause. I will never know, but I am nice and warm now.

Cheers, h.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    As someone who used to winter camp (sleeping outside in a tent in the winter) I'm always baffled by posts by people who are cold indoors where the temperature is presumably around 70 degrees F. Sure, as we lose insulation (fat) we would be colder in the same state of dress. To warm up, add insulation (clothes.) If I can be warm while sleeping outdoors at 7 (seven) degrees F, with the possible exception of circulatory issues, there is no reason to feel cold at 70 degrees F.

At home, start with cotton socks plus wool socks plus slippers like these Sorel Manawans.

933505-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

If I were cold in an office environment, I'd wear leather boots, turtlenecks, sweaters, and drink a lot of hot beverages.

My mom's weight hovers around Underweight and she manages to stay warm by dressing appropriately, unlike my neighbor, who cranks the heat up in the winter so he can be warm when barefoot in thin pajamas.

I feel the need to add the disclaimer that if one is cold due to under-eating, to eat more.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Same here, I could tell today that I'm definitely (finally) eating at a true deficit because I can't get warm.
  • Beaner63
    Beaner63 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    How large is your deficit?

Varies between 1000-850 calories a day. (2 pounds a week).
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I've been cold constantly for the last 3 years! And I live in Wisconsin where we have four seasons: Almost winter, winter, still winter, road construction lol

Pfft, this year they didn't even wait until construction season to start up. Sure, it's worse now that there isn't snow, but they never stopped this year. The Milwaukee zoo interchange project is insane!
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yes, I'm always freezing. My deficit is a small one, but I still have to take a long hot shower before bed to keep from shivering all night.

It's 76 in my house and I put on my hoodie when I walk in the door in the evening.
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've always been cold, whether I'm at a healthy weight, overweight, eating at maintenance, over maintenance, or below. I won't take off my jacket unless I'm really physically active if its less than 75 F. My temp at the doctor's office is usually 97.7-97.0. I'm hoping that putting on more muscle might help with the cold feeling, but I think some people just run cooler. My sibs run similar temperatures.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    What I notice about eating at a deficit is that I pee ALL THE TIME!!!

Losing 60 pounds is what makes me feel colder more often.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    wow, what a surprise - i'm not the only one!

yup, i used to radiate heat all the time. eating at a deficit had definitely changed that.
  • Phyber0ptik
    Phyber0ptik Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Chalk me up for the same. Now at a deficit.. I'm cold all the time. Used to be my wife's personal space heater... not anymore.