Celiac disease help

Options
I was recently diagnosed with celiac disease. As a college student on a limited budget and very little time to cook - it's really hard to find healthy food that has not been processed / loaded with fat.

Does anyone with this condition have any good food recommendations? Food dos and don'ts

Replies

• ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I dont know but I'll give you a bump........
  • mjr2204
    mjr2204 Posts: 6
    Options
    Rice is cheap if you buy it in large bags, as is chicken broth/stock (even cheaper if you make your own...also giving you chicken!). Make a whole chicken in a crockpot, de-meat it, then use the remains to make stock. Freeze the meat in 3-4oz portions, freeze the stock in 1/2 cup portions.

Make taco meat with ground beef (often on sale) and freeze in single serving sizes...served over salad with salsa as the dressing.

Do a pulled pork with pork tenderloin in a crockpot (lower fat than shoulder), there are tons of recipes online and pork loin regularly goes on sale...freeze it in single serving sizes.

Eggs are also a good choice, but they are constipating.

I don't have celiac, but in college I was on a strict celiac diet because of a gluten allergy and on a budget of about $1/meal. Whole Foods has a good gluten-free section, but they tend to be very expensive. I quickly learned that it's a lot cheaper and easier to cook a lot of food at once and freeze it than it is to cook individual meals. Buy family sizes of meats and portion them out before freezing it.

A crockpot is a must...and in any recipe that calls for flour as a thickener you can use potato flour or potato starch (which is fairly cheap).
  • myurk
    myurk Posts: 108
    Options
    Hey. I was diagnosed about 2 years ago and found it pretty tough. Buying all the processed foods were expensive and loaded with sugar and preservatives. I found eating naturally gluten free was really easy and thats what I do. Quinoa is a great resource and is starting to become more mainstream (still more expensive than rice), but its packed with protein which is much better than white rice. Recently I started looking into Clean Eating. The magazine has a lot of great recipes that are naturally gluten free and taste great (low on the calories as well). Can't say whether it is any cheaper though. . .. .