Autoimmune Paleo Protocol (Eczema & alopecia)

Options
Behxo
Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
So let me give a little info about myself, why I'm doing this, and why I'm looking for others that might be doing the same for support...

My name is Brenna and I have suffered from severe eczema (on and off, been on steroids throughout my life but stopped usage January 2015) and alopecia since I was a child but since last year has progressed to universalis. Alopecia areata is a type of hair loss that occurs when your immune system mistakenly attacks hair follicles. Alopecia universalis (AU) or alopecia areata universalis is a medical condition involving rapid loss of all hair, including eyebrows and eyelashes. It is an advanced form of Alopecia areata.) The hair I have in my profile photo is a wig.

Greetings from my bald self! :]

ncq0wlvc2y1n.jpg

I've done a decent amount of research stating that these are internal problems and such as the autoimmune paleo diet can help heal these things, but of course needing to stick with it... I'm not the kind of person that has a lot of time to prep for meals and what not and afraid that this is going to be something very difficult to stick with. Is there anyone else out there trying the same thing? Any tips or support is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Replies

• julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine has alopecia and she is using AIP to treat it. She has seen her hair growth increase, almost to normal since starting AIP. It is restrictive but, I think seeing it work would be really encouraging for you. This is the book my friend uses most of the time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1628600942/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1463593685&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=aip+cookbook&dpPl=1&dpID=51eqSLToxYL&ref=plSrch

Best of luck to you:-)
  • Behxo
    Options
    A friend of mine has alopecia and she is using AIP to treat it. She has seen her hair growth increase, almost to normal since starting AIP. It is restrictive but, I think seeing it work would be really encouraging for you. This is the book my friend uses most of the time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1628600942/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1463593685&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=aip+cookbook&dpPl=1&dpID=51eqSLToxYL&ref=plSrch

Best of luck to you:-)

Thank you so much! I spent about an hour at the book store yesterday looking for a good one, but didnt actually walk out with one haha
  • NewSparks
    NewSparks Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My son (almost 6) has alopecia universalis... I am very interested to hear if this diet has worked for anyone. I am not planning to restrict my son's diet but maybe he will be interested in later years.

Behxo, you did not lose your eyelashes or eyebrows, did you?
  • Behxo
    Options
    NewSparks wrote: »
    My son (almost 6) has alopecia universalis... I am very interested to hear if this diet has worked for anyone. I am not planning to restrict my son's diet but maybe he will be interested in later years.

Behxo, you did not lose your eyelashes or eyebrows, did you?

Yes I actually did lose every hair on my body including eyelashes and eyebrows. I've had alopecia areata throughout my life but last January 2015, it progressed into universalis for the first time after being put on stronger eczema steroids when I hadn't been on them for quite some time. I experienced a few months of regrowth from July 2015-January 2016 but it all fell out again in February after falling into terrible eating habits, lack of exercise (sweat exacerbates eczema which came back after no longer being on steroids) and stress. I currently only have some leg hair and very blonde eyelashes/eyebrows.

I'm starting the diet on Monday, feel free to friend request me if you are curious of the results throughout my journey! :]
  • bvoyles80
    bvoyles80 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I suffer from hashimotos (my body attacks my thyroid, sending me into hypothyroid and letting my body attack other parts too.) About a year ago, I decided to give AIP a try because I was fed up with feeling terrible and just gaining more and more weight.
    Like you, I have read and read, so much joined groups... read more.
    Anyway- I decided to give it 30 days to start.... anyone can do that, right?? It was hard, but the changes I started seeing were great. My daily headaches are now gone. My energy is better. My moods are MUCH more stable (my boyfriend will gladly verify that!). Lots of good things that happened. oh- and the scale finally started moving for me!!
    Since then, I have backed off some and now have a smaller list of foods I avoid. But AIP is a great place to start. I probably need to go back to it and re-evaluate what my body is reacting to, but I am still much better than I was.
    You can do it!!
  • Behxo
    Options
    You are beautiful without the wig.

Awe, thank you! :]
  • Behxo
    edited May 2016
    Options
    bvoyles80 wrote: »
    I suffer from hashimotos (my body attacks my thyroid, sending me into hypothyroid and letting my body attack other parts too.) About a year ago, I decided to give AIP a try because I was fed up with feeling terrible and just gaining more and more weight.
    Anyway- I decided to give it 30 days to start.... anyone can do that, right?? It was hard, but the changes I started seeing were great. My daily headaches are now gone. My energy is better. My moods are MUCH more stable (my boyfriend will gladly verify that!). Lots of good things that happened. oh- and the scale finally started moving for me!!
    Since then, I have backed off some and now have a smaller list of foods I avoid. But AIP is a great place to start. I probably need to go back to it and re-evaluate what my body is reacting to, but I am still much better than I was.
    You can do it!!

Thank you so much for posting your story and experience, definitely gives me more motivation to give it a go and stick with it! :] Glad you are feeling better!
  • Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I also have an autoimmune disease. Recently diagnosed and scared. I'm sure once I get over the shock i'll be looking for something similar.
  • Behxo
    Options
    I also have an autoimmune disease. Recently diagnosed and scared. I'm sure once I get over the shock i'll be looking for something similar.

I'm sorry to hear that :[ I hope you get through your journey with ease
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    first of all, you look absolutely adorable bald! :smile:
    not that a compliment helps. LOL

read this book: The Paleo Approach by Sarah Ballantyne

excellent read and so much helpful information.
  • yogi1129
    yogi1129 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    first of all, you look absolutely adorable bald! :smile:
    not that a compliment helps. LOL

read this book: The Paleo Approach by Sarah Ballantyne

excellent read and so much helpful information.

Even though I don't follow the diet, the lifestyle tips are gold. It's a fantastic book. She also has a website http://www.thepaleomom.com/. Best of luck!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I too suffer from eczema- It covered a larger percentage of my body at one point. I got scared of the long term effects of steroid use and quit them cold turkey last summer. I was given an immunosuppressant instead, and it has changed my life for the better.

I tried everything, diet and environmentally that I could control. No soaps, detergents with scent. No scented lotions. Added turmeric and ginger to my diet, tried high dosage probiotics. Went gluten free. None of the diets worked for me.

What ended up working was removing stress from my life. I know this sounds crazy and hard to do, but it really did work for me. Still now if I get anxious I will start to get spots.
  • Behxo
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    I too suffer from eczema- It covered a larger percentage of my body at one point. I got scared of the long term effects of steroid use and quit them cold turkey last summer. I was given an immunosuppressant instead, and it has changed my life for the better.

I tried everything, diet and environmentally that I could control. No soaps, detergents with scent. No scented lotions. Added turmeric and ginger to my diet, tried high dosage probiotics. Went gluten free. None of the diets worked for me.

What ended up working was removing stress from my life. I know this sounds crazy and hard to do, but it really did work for me. Still now if I get anxious I will start to get spots.

Yea, not stressing out is definitely easier said than done! Glad you figured out your trigger :]
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    bvoyles80 wrote: »
    You can do it!!

Thanks for posting! I have hashi as well, but my GP is a bit rubbish and treatment in the UK is in general (like: we just ignore it exists). I consider getting some better medication than the T4 I get from my GP, but that's a different story. Thing is: there are many reasons for people with hashi why the usual T4 tablets are not working, one of them is low iron. Unfortunately, many people with hashi and other autoimmune disorders are low on minerals and vitamins as the body just needs to much of that stuff to just function. On the other hand, taking iron supplements also limits the transformation of T4 to T3, thus you are 'kittened' twice. Me, I cannot go on a kety diet as I get really bad reflux from protein-rich food, and cannot digest fats properly. I basically live on carbs. Nothing I can do about it I guess.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    Behxo wrote: »
    So let me give a little info about myself, why I'm doing this, and why I'm looking for others that might be doing the same for support...

My name is Brenna and I have suffered from severe eczema (on and off, been on steroids throughout my life but stopped usage January 2015) and alopecia since I was a child but since last year has progressed to universalis. Alopecia areata is a type of hair loss that occurs when your immune system mistakenly attacks hair follicles. Alopecia universalis (AU) or alopecia areata universalis is a medical condition involving rapid loss of all hair, including eyebrows and eyelashes. It is an advanced form of Alopecia areata.) The hair I have in my profile photo is a wig.

Greetings from my bald self! :]

ncq0wlvc2y1n.jpg

I've done a decent amount of research stating that these are internal problems and such as the autoimmune paleo diet can help heal these things, but of course needing to stick with it... I'm not the kind of person that has a lot of time to prep for meals and what not and afraid that this is going to be something very difficult to stick with. Is there anyone else out there trying the same thing? Any tips or support is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Bexho, just wanted to say you look absolutely stunning! Embrace your cool looks :smiley:
  • Behxo
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Bexho, just wanted to say you look absolutely stunning! Embrace your cool looks :smiley:

thank you!!
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    @bexho you are honestly such a beautiful woman naturally. I can understand wanting to find a diet that helps your health (I have health problems too). I just wanted to stop by and say how utterly gorgeous you are ☺
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I agree you are just beautiful. I think because we see the beauty of your face and are not distracted by hair. That being said you would be beautiful with hair too. Good luck on your journey to health!
  • Behxo
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @bexho you are honestly such a beautiful woman naturally. I can understand wanting to find a diet that helps your health (I have health problems too). I just wanted to stop by and say how utterly gorgeous you are ☺
    Pinkylee77 wrote: »
    I agree you are just beautiful. I think because we see the beauty of your face and are not distracted by hair. That being said you would be beautiful with hair too. Good luck on your journey to health!

Thank you so much to both of you, lifted my spirits already this morning! I always say that everyone is dealt a deck of cards in life, you just gotta figure out how to play them :P @TheLittleFangs good luck to you, I hope you get through with ease with whatever health problems you may have as well.