Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How Do I Not Give Up

I've been trying to eat healthier and workout for a couple months now. Some days I feel great about it and then I have my days where I feel like *kitten* so I eat my feelings. I want a healthier lifestyle and I want to lose weight but I can't stop eating when I'm down and feel like it's not worth it. How do I stay on track even on my lowest of days?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,888 Member
    Don't eat your emotions. Find a different outlet. My DW actually went to therapist to discuss depression and came out of it much better and is fine now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • queenbartleygal
    queenbartleygal Posts: 4 Member
    I've been trying to eat healthier and workout for a couple months now. Some days I feel great about it and then I have my days where I feel like *kitten* so I eat my feelings. I want a healthier lifestyle and I want to lose weight but I can't stop eating when I'm down and feel like it's not worth it. How do I stay on track even on my lowest of days?

Have you tried figuring out what's depressing you? There are great mediation apps that help with staying focused. I use them. I picture my goal and I set small goals for myself monthly.

• ambitiousgirl20
    ambitiousgirl20 Posts: 6 Member
    I haven't figured out what's depressing me. Sometimes it's because I don't see results or I feel as if I'm doing all this hard work for nothing. I've been battling this for a couple years now and I believe this is the time where I need to stay focus and not get down but I seem to still not be doing that. I'm still in the same mindset from a couple years ago. I can't shake it.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    edited May 2016
    I'll just leave this here...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Good luck with figuring out the way that works best for you. Keep your chin up, and don't give in - you can do it!

(ETA: I linked to this thread because you didn't say anything about watching your calorie intake, weighing your food, etc. - just "eating healthier". So if you're not cutting back then you won't see much in the way of results. :) )
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Find your motivation, stick it to your wall! Emotional eating is huge to understand why it happens and how to tell when you are not really hungry. Here is my story along with an emotional eating chart as well. Hope it helps you! http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10333045/progression-pics-of-my-44lb-loss-over-1-year-and-preview-of-my-valentines-day-dress/p1
  • kelliepupluv
    kelliepupluv Posts: 5 Member
    I have been where you are. I've battled with depression my entire life and I used to eat my feelings. I don't do that anymore since I've gone to therapy off and on and have now gained different coping mechanisms for dealing with my emotions instead of food. So maybe look into that if you haven't already? That's just been my experience.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    I haven't figured out what's depressing me. Sometimes it's because I don't see results or I feel as if I'm doing all this hard work for nothing. I've been battling this for a couple years now and I believe this is the time where I need to stay focus and not get down but I seem to still not be doing that. I'm still in the same mindset from a couple years ago. I can't shake it.
    Are you being too strict with yourself? Small, sustainable changes that gradually produce results are easier in the long run.

Tweak things so that it doesn't feel like hard work. Find active things that you enjoy and do those for exercise. Eat your foods but in smaller portions and/or by substituting calorie-dense foods that you like with other foods that you also like so that you are in a calorie deficit. Plan treat foods into your calorie budget rather than avoiding them completely. If your calorie budget is just too low, pull back your weight loss goal to one pound per week or even half a pound per week.