Couch to 5k...start today?

Options

Replies

• phillytle
    phillytle Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I finished W5D3 yesterday afternoon. I run with my 8 year old son and there was plenty of high-fiving and fist-bumping after we finished the 20 minute run. I was smiling like an idiot.
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Ended up doing an extra day since I had to stop early on my day 1 of week 4 but I got all three days in this week and I did it without having to stop :D Starting W5 today, don't know if I will be able to get C25K in next week because of my husbands disc replacement surgery but I'm going to try.
  • Ping_A1C2U
    Ping_A1C2U Posts: 91
    Options
    W5D3 done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yippeeeeeeee cant belive that i did it and like you " ping_A1C2U " i was pumping my fist and i yelled "I DID IT" I think my family thought i was mad, but there is no way this smile is being wiped off my face :D:D

Congrats to everyone, we have come so far in such a short time, you are all so inspirational :D:D

Way to go!!!
  • Ping_A1C2U
    Options
    I finished W5D3 yesterday afternoon. I run with my 8 year old son and there was plenty of high-fiving and fist-bumping after we finished the 20 minute run. I was smiling like an idiot.

Smiling like a WINNER is more like it! =)
  • Ping_A1C2U
    Options
    Ended up doing an extra day since I had to stop early on my day 1 of week 4 but I got all three days in this week and I did it without having to stop :D Starting W5 today, don't know if I will be able to get C25K in next week because of my husbands disc replacement surgery but I'm going to try.

Good job! Good luck with your husband's surgery!
    481471 Posts: 95
    Options
    was going to do week 6 today, but am wussing out cos of how damn hot it is!!
    will fit it in tomorrow instead! week 6 day 1 seems a doddle compared to week5d3!!!!
  • Ping_A1C2U
    Options
    will fit it in tomorrow instead! week 6 day 1 seems a doddle compared to week5d3!!!!

haha yeah, w6d1 seems easy peasy! hope it cools off for you, if it finally gets "hot" around here this summer, i might have to run before work.
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm back on the bandwagon this week - just completed W5D1 (so I'm officially a week behind the herd). But it wasn't so bad. I might even make it all the way through.
  • weeziews
    weeziews Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    HIGH FIVE TO EVERYONE!!!! Great job.........

Woo Hoo, I did W5D3 this morning and like most of you, I can't believe I did it and ran the entire time. I never would have thought I could do it and I'm so psyched that I did finish it. I also was very worried about it.

Now, I am worried (just a little) that I am not running fast enough. I typically run between 4.5 and 5.0 but today when I ran D3 I only ran 4.0mph because I wanted to finish. I am doing 1.5 and sometimes 2.1 miles. Should I be running faster so that I am closing in on the 3 mile mark?? My main focus has been to just run and finish the running without stopping. Should I be focusing on getting faster? The C25k app doesn't have speed recommendations, so I am not sure how fast I should running each week.

Any suggestions???
  • Ahzuri
    Options
    I'm back on the bandwagon this week - just completed W5D1 (so I'm officially a week behind the herd). But it wasn't so bad. I might even make it all the way through.

Welcome to the Week Behind Everyone Else club! I just did W5D1 yesterday too :)
  • Ahzuri
    Options
    HIGH FIVE TO EVERYONE!!!! Great job.........

Woo Hoo, I did W5D3 this morning and like most of you, I can't believe I did it and ran the entire time. I never would have thought I could do it and I'm so psyched that I did finish it. I also was very worried about it.

Now, I am worried (just a little) that I am not running fast enough. I typically run between 4.5 and 5.0 but today when I ran D3 I only ran 4.0mph because I wanted to finish. I am doing 1.5 and sometimes 2.1 miles. Should I be running faster so that I am closing in on the 3 mile mark?? My main focus has been to just run and finish the running without stopping. Should I be focusing on getting faster? The C25k app doesn't have speed recommendations, so I am not sure how fast I should running each week.

Any suggestions???

I think you should just run at whatever speed is maintainable, I'm only getting 1.80 on mine but I always go 3.0/4.0 because thats what I can do. I try to push it sometimes but for the most part I just get so winded if I try to do the entire thing at 3.5/4.5
    Options

haha yeah, w6d1 seems easy peasy! hope it cools off for you, if it finally gets "hot" around here this summer, i might have to run before work.
    ha thanks!! it does seem easy peasy compared to w5d3, in fact i hope im not being too cocky lol!!
    its cold again now so off to do it when home from work!
    i was thinking the same tho, if it ever manages to keep a constant high temp i will have to rethink when i do the runs!! :S

@weeziews
    dont worry about speed. im so slow too! im figuring i just have to get thro the 9 weeks, THEN i will start worrying about my speed. you can build that up once you mastered the 30 min run :)
  • Ping_A1C2U
    Options
    W6D1 completed last evening. It was a little more difficult than I thought it would be, but it wasn't hard. I was in a hurry and had somewhere to be, and i didn't stretch out very well, so my legs were a little tight. Finished it with no problem though, just a lot of mental complaining to myself (haha).

I find myself really looking forward to running, and feeling great after, but man oh man, i hate every single step of the actual experience of jogging. Is this what people mean when they say they love jogging - that they love the feeling after, not the experience? hehe...i actually am considering jogging outside of c25k training days just because I like how i feel at the end, but i don't think i'll ever actually enjoy running itself...weird?

@481471 it's still getting below 70 in the evening here in San Diego, which suits me fine, lol. I am not a morning person, I do not want to have to get up before work and jog.

@weeziews C25K really isn't about meeting any sort of speed goal - the program is designed to get you to be able to jog a 5k without stopping. I think most of us, especially those with a good amount of weight to lose, move pretty slow. I just recently started GPS tracking just the intervals part (start after the warmup, end before the cooldown) to get my speeds, and on W5D3 i was at 3.97mph. That was all jogging of course...W6D1 i was at 3.74 or something including the walking intervals.

I think my plan is to finish c25k at this penguin speed, then start working on my pace. I don't want to try to do too much at once and burn myself out.
  • phillytle
    phillytle Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that says that speed does not matter right now. I know I wasn't going very fast on W5D3 - the 20 minute run. But that didn't matter to me at all. My goal was to finish that run and to have run the entire time. I met that goal. I will worry about my speed when I can consistently knock out 30 minute runs every time out.
  • weeziews
    weeziews Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You're right, I shouldn't worry about speed. When I completed the 20 minute run in disbelief, I thought, hmm maybe I am not going fast enough. I was still in shock. Yes, the goal to finish the 9 weeks!!!

You all are doing awesome and I appreciate your feedback and hearing about your progress. Keep up the great work!
    Options
    W6D1 completed last evening. It was a little more difficult than I thought it would be, but it wasn't hard. I was in a hurry and had somewhere to be, and i didn't stretch out very well, so my legs were a little tight. Finished it with no problem though, just a lot of mental complaining to myself (haha).

Yeh i try to avoid doing anything in the morning too! Just getting to work can be a struggle :D

Just done my W6D1 too, like you, kinda struggled, i guess it was something to do with having a totally mad and busy day and not doing it till really late in the evenin when i was tired.
    however i DID do it, and even ran a few extra mins to make up for the 20secs i walked extra halfway thro! :)
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    20 minute run? Ha. I'm in disbelief that I jsut finished the two 8 minute runs on W5D2! Esepcially after I temporarily fell off the bandwagon last week.

I'm proud of everyone for sticking with it -- and for being such a great support group for each other!

On the downside, I may have to take tomorrow off. My calves are killing me!
  • Mommareed4
    Mommareed4 Posts: 144
    Options
    Started week 7 tonight..i am so proud of myself for running 25 mins. No stops..biggest thing was deep breath in and hard puckered lips out (like your breathing out through a straw) this breathing always keeps the major side cramps at bay.
  • mindybachitt
    Options
    i just downloaded the app to my iphone, i'm in. about to do it, right after my 30 day shred . . . lmao, i'm on an exercise tear right now. been stuck with the weight for over a month, even though i'm doing everything right. i'm just taking it up a notch! thanks for the opportunity!:smile:
  • rat70
    rat70 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a latecomer to the thread but I am on Week 6 of the C25K. I tried it once before with stopwatch etc and found it so cumbersone I didn't get very far. Now I have the app on my iPhone (there are several, I have "Get Running") and am doing really well. Next run 25mins non-stop! The 20min last weekend was great actually. I keep my pace slow (I agree with earlier posts that I aim to finish the 9 weeks then I can work on my speed) but I felt I still had some left in the tank at the end of 20 mins last Saturday - yay! Me - a runner!

Keep it up everyone!

And yes, for MFP sake, I log time running (5 mph - slowest pace in the list - LOL!) and time walking separately.