Cardio and weight...

Hi...my favourite workouts are swimming, biking, yoga, and qi gong. A nice guy in our community advised me to do weight so besides such cardios. Could you advised us some sample of simple weights, is push up included? How weight can help our weight loss program? Thanks.

Replies

• thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    If you do basic movements, you're covered: Squat, Deadlift, Bench, Overhead Press, and Pullups.
  • rahmat_hidayat
    rahmat_hidayat Posts: 62 Member
    What about plank, is it weight too?
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Sure a plank is using your body's weight against gravity. Weights are important especially as we age to help with bone density. Also helps us feel good about ourselves and makes us more efficient energy burners.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    rahmat805 wrote: »
    Hi...my favourite workouts are swimming, biking, yoga, and qi gong. A nice guy in our community advised me to do weight so besides such cardios.

Yes, strength training is a good complement to your routine. But it's best to follow a program, not a simple list of exercises. Good programs explain all the little important details, like the # of reps/sets, weight progression, proper form, etc. Do you have access to a full gym? What equipment do you have?
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Strength training helps you retain muscle and helps ensure that the weight you're losing is fat. People always say they want to lose weight, but ideally you lose fat while retaining as much muscle as possible. With heavy lifting I've been lucky enough to be able to lose fat and actually gain muscle.
  • rahmat_hidayat
    Oh thanks. Yes I have a full access to gym, pool, and fitness class. All machines are available like treadmill, pull, push, etc. However I didnt follow a proper strength/weight program so far. Can you give me a simple 30 mnt program..
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Hi...my favourite workouts are swimming, biking, yoga, and qi gong. A nice guy in our community advised me to do weight so besides such cardios.

Yes, strength training is a good complement to your routine. But it's best to follow a program, not a simple list of exercises. Good programs explain all the little important details, like the # of reps/sets, weight progression, proper form, etc. Do you have access to a full gym? What equipment do you have?

• rahmat_hidayat
    I am 40+.Is muscle forming still possible?
    Strength training helps you retain muscle and helps ensure that the weight you're losing is fat. People always say they want to lose weight, but ideally you lose fat while retaining as much muscle as possible. With heavy lifting I've been lucky enough to be able to lose fat and actually gain muscle.

• rahmat_hidayat
    But my priority is to streghten abdomen muscle and normalize its size. What kind of simple exercise are effective?
  • Gun4a
    Gun4a Posts: 68 Member

Look up Charles Eugster. I think it's very impressive what he has achieved!
  • rahmat_hidayat
    He is an inspirative 96 yrs old man. Thx.
    Gun4a wrote: »

Look up Charles Eugster. I think it's very impressive what he has achieved!

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member

I'm 56 and in better shape than I've been since I was 31.
    Please don't think your exercise life is over at 40+ as it makes me feel very, very old! :smiley:
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    edited May 2016

But my priority is to streghten abdomen muscle and normalize its size. What kind of simple exercise are effective?

A good program for your age group is New Rules of Lifting for Life. It's a book. While you're waiting for it to arrive you can do the program linked in my profile.
    All good programs strengthen the abdomen.. but keep in mind that won't shrink the fat there. Fat loss can't be targeted. To lose fat - from anywhere - eat the right number of calories for your activity level. A food scale comes in very handy for this. :+1:
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    mgalvin12 wrote: »
    Sure a plank is using your body's weight against gravity. Weights are important especially as we age to help with bone density. Also helps us feel good about ourselves and makes us more efficient energy burners.

This. A hundred times this. Weight lifting (including body weight stuff like pushups) and high impact exercise (including running) help to prevent or fight osteoporosis.
  • rahmat_hidayat
    Any kind of muscle strength exercises can be performed in the water at swimming pool? Pls advise or reference. Thanks.