PMS & overeating

Options
I have serious PMS today! Besides the fact that I am a victim of hormonal imbalance I have some major illness/injuries in my family that are stressing me out. I'm just imagining plowing my face into a large piece of cake with an abundance of buttercream frosting!
Does anyone else just allow themselves to let go for a couple days around "that time of the month"?

Replies

• mfreeby
    mfreeby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm at that time too but I definitely don't let myself go because I HATE having to get off 2 pounds after my period. Instead, I try to go really low on carbs to reduce cravings. I'm not a sweets person, more of a salty so I actually try a little harder so I don't lose my progress. I also get my period every 2 and a half weeks so if I went crazy I'd never get anywhere.
  • Jackie_Snape80
    Options
    http://notsobigk.wordpress.com/2011/06/24/monthly-weight/

Check this out! You may find some of the info helpful...or interesting at least ^_^
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    no, no excuses for overeating, under calories all the time; work it into calories to have cake with extra frosting if that is what u want!! Extra excercise; eating a lighter lunch/dinner, skipping a normal snack to have cake instead...
  • CrazyAdventure
    CrazyAdventure Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Exercising is a great stress reliever AND it burns calories, so you can have some extra room for a piece of cake.... I have also heard that exercising very much helps with cramps :)
  • CrazyAdventure
    Options
    Exercising is a great stress reliever AND it burns calories, so you can have some extra room for a piece of cake.... I have also heard that exercising very much helps with cramps :)
  • CrazyAdventure
    Options
    ooops! sorry for double post!
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    It is definitely harder for me, a couple days before and during. The unlucky thing is, it isnt just cravings, I am also constantly hungry. My stomach growls at me and everything. During your TOM, you actually are losing nutrients, especially if you have a period from hell like mine, so your body is not only craving those certain foods but you are hungrier too. And I definitely retain water, my fingers swell around the ring I wear, and my stomach is definitely puffier, even my face is swollen. Ugh... It sucks just talking about it. lol.

But anyway, I bought these chocolate chews called 'fit chews' which are filled with vitamins and calcium, and they are so chewy it takes a while to finish one. I also drink detox tea. And I limit my sodium to no more that 1000mg/day. It has helped me a lot. If you crave salty things, bake kale with a little salt and olive oil in the oven until it becomes crispy and its BETTER than chips, I love it! Good luck.

Btw, I get the 'fit chews' and detox tea through arbonne. The Detox tea makes a huge difference in your body's swelling and water retention, and the fit chews definitely help kick a craving for me. Sugar free gum can help too, they have some really great flavors now, like mint chip ice cream or key lime pie or strawberry short cake. They taste a lot like the real thing!
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options

This is true, but my cramping actually gets worse when I exercise... Once, I was in so much pain I literally was sobbing in the fetal position, and almost called an ambulance! All from a stupid run shaking things loose- or something! lol
  • kriots
    kriots Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    it is tough, i am a baker so i am around sweets all the time. I make myself a little cupcake and eat it. or make some chocolate moose. low fat of course. try the new jello temptations, those are low in calories.
  • Kimrenaud
    Kimrenaud Posts: 118 Member
    Options

This is true, but my cramping actually gets worse when I exercise... Once, I was in so much pain I literally was sobbing in the fetal position, and almost called an ambulance! All from a stupid run shaking things loose- or something! lol

This was me all my life but I just missed 3 months starting menopause and started again yesterday dang it . I gained 6lbs of water. Today I have lost 4...I have been stuck at a plateau but defiantly I see the weight gain, see the cravings but don't let myself get crazy with food. Chocolate is my downfall but being a diabetic has broken that routine!
  • kristyann86
    kristyann86 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    omg, before, during, and after TOM i am a whole different person with my whole routine. i have such a sweet tooth so i mostly crave anything sweet. and exercise only makes me hungrier, but i try to still drink my 8 glasses of water ( i feel like an elephant) but after TOM i usually notice the water weight going down. especially during my period, for one day i will eat whatever i am craving. or else i'll go nuts and be the worst person you've ever met lolol
  • Ali5581
    Ali5581 Posts: 13
    Options
    So glad to read this, I thought I was going crazy. A week before my period I crave everything and I am hungry all the time even after eating a large meal, I'm insatiable!! My energy is also super low and I suffer from insomnia which makes it difficult to stick to a healthy eating and exercise plan.....but I'm going to try some of the suggestions here and see if they will help.