Options

Replies

• betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    hhazzouri wrote: »
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    hhazzouri wrote: »
    you can't not lose weight because you under eat. That's how weight loss works..

That's not at all how weight loss works. Starvation mode is a myth. She could eat 400 calories a day and lose weight.

double negative threw you off ?

haha! good one.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    I eat to fuel my body, I don't wait until I'm hungry to eat or I would never eat.

Curious do you weigh your food with digital food scale??

Timing of when you eat doesn't matter, agree with Tavistocktoad.

That first sentence sounds like you never feel hunger, so you force yourself to eat.
    Is that what you're saying?

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I eat to fuel my body, I don't wait until I'm hungry to eat or I would never eat.

That first sentence sounds like you never feel hunger, so you force yourself to eat.

I guess what I'm mean when I have day/s that I'm not hungry, I make sure to hit my calorie goals. It doesn't happen often.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry for breakfast, then don't eat breakfast. Eat your meals when you're hungry, no matter what time of day it is. As long as that by the end of the day you've reached your calorie goal, then you'll be fine with weight loss. Just make sure to weigh your food to make sure you're actually eating X amount of cals given to you by MFP.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I guess what I'm mean when I have day/s that I'm not hungry, I make sure to hit my calorie goals. It doesn't happen often.

Ah ok :smile:

OP I never eat breakfast. I drink milky tea til lunchtime, then I have a protein shake. The majority of my calories come with dinner and dessert.
    If I'm not hungry then I don't force myself to eat. But there's no chance I ever undereat, it's not in my dna lol

If you're not accurately weighing and logging your food, chances are you are not undereating. Because if you were you'd be losing weight.

• SeaAnita
    SeaAnita Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I should have mentioned, I'm diabetic, so not eating in the morning is not an option, otherwise, I would crash from low blood sugar (after taking my morning insulin).
  • SeaAnita
    Options

I force myself to eat breakfast, even if it's just a piece of toast. Since I'm diabetic, I have to eat something. Same with lunch...rarely hungry. For dinner, I'm lucky if I eat half of what's on my plate.
  • SeaAnita
    Options
    You're not 'holding on to everything you eat' because you don't eat enough....

If you don't want to eat breakfast, don't.

From everything I have read, if you're not getting enough calories, it can prevent you from losing weight. Plus, my doctor has told me this in the past.
    http://www.shape.com/blogs/weight-loss-coach/why-undereating-works-against-you

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/why-undereating-wont-actually-help-you-lose-weight/

http://www.stack.com/a/undereating

I do measure/weight/log everything.
  • SeaAnita
    Options
    SeaAnita wrote: »

Oh, the body will never hold on to food or fat if you're not eating enough calories. Starvation mode is a complete debunked myth. Make sure you're weighing all the solid and semi solid foods in grams on a good scale to ensure accurate calorie counting.. If you're not losing, it is possible that eithe food calories have been underestimated, or exercise calories have been overestimated. Measuring cups/spoons and guessing portions is a guaranteed way to eat extra calories unintentionally. Weigh all foods, even nut butter/butter/mayo.

I don't log exercise, because I can't do it....not even water aerobics. Both my knees need replaced and are severely arthritic, so even water aerobics causes great pain. Just walking around my house is painful. Unfortunately, I get my medical care through the VA and they won't replace my knees until I get my weight down more...so I'm in a vicious circle.
  • SeaAnita
    Options
    pcpop7 wrote: »
    Where to start on this one. So how do you think you got overweight ? Seriously ?

Your either going to get real with yourself or your not. Just now you sound like you might be in denial.

I asked what others do/advice...I did not ask to be judged and criticized!

1) I had a hysterectomy at an early age and the loss of hormones helped contribute to the weight
    2) One year after the hysterectomy, I tore my ACL (which the military never repaired), so I wasn't able to be as active as I used to be.
    3) I was put on a medicine known to cause weight gain.

That's how I gained the weight. Hell, before all this, I was fine....had two babies and went home wearing regular clothes because I didn't gain more than 14 with the first and 19 with the second, so pregnancy didn't even get me to this point.

I'm not in denial. I weight/measure everything I eat. I avoid fast food, fried foods, sugar, etc. I don't do fad diets (because they just fail as soon as you go back to eating normally). Over the years I have changed the way I eat...stopped frying foods, eating more vegetables, that sort of thing. I'm allergic to dairy now, so I'm not eating cheese, ice cream, etc. I don't crave chocolate or desserts.

I'm losing weight, but very, very slowly. Without exercise, my metabolism is super low. What I have lost stays off, but my knees are wearing out quicker than I'm losing (I've lost 45 lbs since 2004 and it has stayed off).
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Oh please. I just eat...all the time. Mostly when I'm hungry and sometimes when I'm not.

And no, you're not holding onto fat because you're "not eating enough". Strictly log your food, using a food scale, for two weeks at least.
  • SeaAnita
    Options
    Here's a sample of my average day. I'm under my calories (I never said I was starving myself, just not getting the recommended amount).
    07c6de33vsdp.jpg

z132ch3bspst.jpg

• pcpop7
    pcpop7 Posts: 161 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    SeaAnita wrote: »
    Here's a sample of my average day. I'm under my calories (I never said I was starving myself, just not getting the recommended amount).
    07c6de33vsdp.jpg

z132ch3bspst.jpg

I see lots of cups and tablespoons. Get a good scale and weigh everything in grams. Measuring the way you are you will be eating more than you think you are.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    U eat when you're hungry. Who's to say that breakfast is at 6 and not 11. Do you, forget everyone else
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    If I'm not hungry at mealtime, I still eat, just a lot less. It's a rare occasion, but when it happens, I save the leftovers for later. Breakfast is tough, I usually make myself a chocolate milk and call it done.
  • Cohalligan
    Cohalligan Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What I am also noticing - for you as a diabetic, you are eating very small amounts of protein and relatively high amounts of carbohydrates without accompanying protein to offset the insulin spike. You should be eating significantly more protein throughout the day and protein should comprise a part of every meal and snack due to your diabetes.
  • SeaAnita
    Options
    Cohalligan wrote: »
    What I am also noticing - for you as a diabetic, you are eating very small amounts of protein and relatively high amounts of carbohydrates without accompanying protein to offset the insulin spike. You should be eating significantly more protein throughout the day and protein should comprise a part of every meal and snack due to your diabetes.

Believe it or not, but my diabetes is well controlled. The kashi I have for breakfast has the same amount of protein as an egg (and I dislike eggs, especially those with a hard yolk).
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I eat before I get hungry, not wait until I do. For one thing, I might not meet my calorie goals if I only eat when I'm hungry. Also, who says you're going to be in a position to eat (or eat properly) when you're hungry? Now there's a difference between eating when not hungry and literally forcing food into your mouth. To put it another way, a runner might stretch regularly to prevent tight muscles, they won't wait until they feel tight to stretch (or they shouldn't).