Good meals ideas that are under 1,500?

Options
brieellen95
brieellen95 Posts: 4 Member
Hello! Does anyone know great meals for under 1,500 cals and that doesn't break the bank? It'll be a great help! Trying to get in shape before I ship off . Thank you !

Replies

• AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you mean 1,500 for the day?
    I typically do something simple like tilapia fillets pan friend in olive oil and garlic (two pieces comes out to just under 200 calories depending on their weight) and some vegetables on the side.

Zucchini noodles are a great substitute for pasta dishes and help slash calories. I make zucchini spaghetti quite a bit. I did a crock pot zucchini lasagna and it ended up being more like soup, but was still delish!

Definitely check out Pinterest - that's where I get a lot of my ideas!

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Where are you shipping off to? Do they have food there?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Hello! Does anyone know great meals for under 1,500 cals and that doesn't break the bank? It'll be a great help! Trying to get in shape before I ship off . Thank you !

Most of them?
    http://www.budgetbytes.com has recipes that are tasty and cost conscious.
    Things like beans and rice, pasta dishes, soups, oatmeal, eggs are not expensive and can fit under 1500 calories.

Breakfast for me is typically things like Greek yogurt, granola bars, cereal with milk, sandwich, dinner leftovers, fruit, cottage cheese (about 200-300 calories)
    Lunch is usually a sandwich, salad, or dinner leftovers (about 300-500 calories)
    Dinner is something different every night of the month. (about 500-600 calories) I have soup once a week usually. Soup is generally very low budget friendly.
    Snacks- I have things like fruit, chips, popcorn, pretzels, chocolate, cookies, granola bar, carrots, celery, broccoli, trail mix, deviled eggs, pickles (about 100-300 calories)
    I post recipes and my monthly meal plan on my blog. https://lounmoun.wordpress.com/

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Rack of ribs with fries and onion rings if you want a 1500 cal meal!
  • NewMEEE2016
    NewMEEE2016 Posts: 192 Member
    Options

For 1500 cals, you could eat the whole cow!
  • Xxlune
    Xxlune Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've been doing around 1500 daily now for a month or 3. My days look a bit like this:

Breakfast - Either bread (2 slices), 1 with meat topping and 1 with peanut butter (+/- 300 - 400 cal)
    or sweetened yoghurt with muesli and fruit (+/- 300 calories)

Lunch - Salad (today is goatcheese with honey and walnuts!) or soup and another slice of bread (approximately 400 cal)

Dinner - Two parts veggies, one part protein (meat. preferably chicken.) and one part carbs (mostly potatoes, as I am Dutch.) (500 - 600 calories)

That adds up to 1300 - 1500 calories. If 1300, I can have a few pieces of fruit or other snacks during the day.
    If it fits, I try to eat a protein bar. Usually this is on my days with heavier exercise so I will eat more like 1700 cal instead of 1500.
  • brieellen95
    Options
    Where are you shipping off to? Do they have food there?

No of course where I'll be shipped off too will have food especially when I am stationed. But probably not a lot of food during ODS school. Either way it's not about if they have food I'm more or less trying to prepare myself for ODS school
  • brieellen95
    Options

For 1500 cals, you could eat the whole cow!

I guess I wasn't specific? Lol
    (Meals) not one meal. Meals all together for one day

• brieellen95
    Options
    Sorry, I wasn't to specific. Yes, I do mean for total days worth. Not just one whole meal. (Meals) haha. :D
  • NewMEEE2016
    Options
    I'm assuming you mean 1,500 for the day?
    I typically do something simple like tilapia fillets pan friend in olive oil and garlic (two pieces comes out to just under 200 calories depending on their weight) and some vegetables on the side.

Zucchini noodles are a great substitute for pasta dishes and help slash calories. I make zucchini spaghetti quite a bit. I did a crock pot zucchini lasagna and it ended up being more like soup, but was still delish!

Definitely check out Pinterest - that's where I get a lot of my ideas!

I also LOVE tilapia- very easy to prepare and it is a fantastic protein "bargain" for the calories. I've found the whole foods brand to be superior. It's a lot cheaper if you buy it in the freezer section across from the seafood section (comes in large bags- I think it's about 8 fillets for 15.99). Trader Joes is cheaper.

Your zucchini lasagna sounds great! Can you share the recipe?
  • NewMEEE2016
    Options
    Sorry, I wasn't to specific. Yes, I do mean for total days worth. Not just one whole meal. (Meals) haha. :D

What kinds of food do you like? (It's important to find healthy things you **love**-) Are you willing to do a bit of cooking? I was never able to lose weight until I started preparing from scratch (easy things, though!) cut out pretty much anything processed and stopped eating out almost entirely. [You never truly know what's in your food until you make it yourself- and WEIGH the ingredients w/a food scale.]

You will get the biggest "bang" for your calorie buck w/lean proteins (chicken, turkey, fish) fresh fresh fruits & vegetable, & dairy (I eat FULL FAT- so much tastier, healthier, & not many more calories). I drink ONLY water that I flavor w/a few drops of fresh lemon or lime juice (I find juices to be a waste of calories for me- too quickly gulped down w/out the satiety and fiber you'd get from eating the whole fruit or vegetable.)

When you eat this way it is astounding how much delicious food you can eat and still lose. I have dropped 31+ lbs since Jan 1st and never once felt a pang of hunger. I don't feel deprived in any way- and would still eat this way even if I were not trying to lose a few more lbs.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Mujaddara is cheap, low calorie and filling. (lentils, onions and rice)
    http://www.food.com/recipe/treebeards-red-beans-and-rice-121498
    I like baked oatmeal recipes. Budget Bytes has several recipes for oatmeal. http://www.budgetbytes.com/category/recipes/breakfast/oats/
    Soups like minestrone- http://www.food.com/recipe/copycat-olive-garden-minestrone-soup-77585
    thin crust pizza
    peanut butter sandwich
    tuna sandwich
    grilled cheese sandwich
    bean and cheese burrito
    eggs- hard boiled, omelets, scrambled, fried
    chicken thighs or whole chicken
    potatoes
    cabbage
  • 1Rune
    1Rune Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My best friend is whey protein powder - it's fast, easy, low cal and the protein content won't leave you hungry again in an hour. Grab yourself some Optimum Nutrition Whey (20+ flavors, I think?),or Six Stars (more expensive, but lower cal/higher protein) or whatever brand works for you.
    Keep your proteins lean, (pork loin, chicken breast, fish, cottage cheese, turkey breast, etc), your veggies are all good and low cal, and make sure to eat your vitamins/supplements. Keep it simple and you're good to go.
    And best of luck at ODS, btw! ;)
  • 1Rune
    1Rune Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Also, lettuce wraps instead of sandwiches (tuna, ground turkey, chicken salad, shrimp) mixing up some cottage cheese w/guac for good fats and protein source that can be a dip or a spread. I do the same w/cottage cheese and salsa (looks disgusting, but hits the spot). Fish soft taco's with cabbage, guac, pico de gallo are good. Frittata or omelet with Egg Beaters added and salad/veggie. Find a good recipe for veggie burgers, make a big batch and freeze them. Make a big batch of oatmeal with dried fruit, almonds, ground flax or whatever appeals to you personally, and add protein powder if you want to and that'll be ready and waiting every day - it'll also satisfy your sweet tooth.
    http://www.cookingclassy.com/2013/11/apple-feta-salad-chicken-bacon-walnuts-balsamic-vinaigrette/
    http://yummyaddiction.com/cranberry-chicken-salad-on-apple-slices/
    https://www.sizzlefish.com/collections/seafood/products/us-wild-caught-gulf-shrimp?pp=1
    Make all sauces and gravies the exception to your diet rule *except red sauce - I make mine by sauteing garlic/onion/tomatoes/shredded carrots and fake parm (I know. But that's how I make it). Throw about half of it in the blender, keep the rest as is for chunky goodness, tweak at will. Toss it over your meat or with your meat/pasta dish.
    I haven't gotten to it yet, but I'll be adding recipes to my page, so cruise at will. ;}