Macros vs calories

Options
Hi,

I am fairly new to macros but very keen to get started and looking forward to the challenge

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to MFP! What challenge is that? There is no competition between calories and macros - if you count macros, you are counting calories, and calories are for weight management, and macros are for calorie management. Keeping track of food intake is a great way to learn about nutrition and stay accountable.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Check out iifym.com for some onfo re macros :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    All things in balance and moderation. Macros and calories sing in harmony.
  • sladey_182
    sladey_182 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have started Macros this week and picked up some tips from some of my friends on here.... that iifym is a decent website and helps you set macros - i googled a few to check I was on the right track.

You will find if you concentrate on calories and protein in take - the carbs and the fats in take will take care of itself and should find whatever diet you are on will work.

carbs in moderation keep it to wholemeal pasta, brown rice if you can - plenty of protein - maybe supplement your intake if you fall short
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    OP.

Everything you eat contains macronutrients (macros) these macronutrients make up the calories. 1g of carbohydrate, protein and fat contain 4, 4, and 9 calories respectively.

You can choose to concentrate on the macronutrient make up of your dietary intake, but you are forever ruled by the calories these macronutrients contain.
    sladey_182 wrote: »
    I have started Macros this week and picked up some tips from some of my friends on here.... that iifym is a decent website and helps you set macros - i googled a few to check I was on the right track.

You will find if you concentrate on calories and protein in take - the carbs and the fats in take will take care of itself and should find whatever diet you are on will work.

carbs in moderation keep it to wholemeal pasta, brown rice if you can - plenty of protein - maybe supplement your intake if you fall short

Why this arbitrary rule?