What motivates you?

Options
2»

Replies

• niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I have a long-term motivation and a secret one.

Of course I want to look good in the outfit I like, and that can eventually make me a little bit closer to being photogenic. Life is short and I don't want to waste chances of taking pictures with the people/view/things I adore, yet I'd hate my pictures if I don't look good in them. Anyway. I just want to look good, in person and in pictures.

And that brings out my temporary but secret motivation. I always envy people's pre-wedding pictures cuz they don't just look good but happy. Extremely happy with each other. Now I finally get to be with a guy I love but there's no sign of that "important/ being proposed moment." It doesn't mean I'm doing this for him specifically. I do this for my own future wedding pictures (I need both "a guy I love" and "looking good" to compose satisfying wedding pictures). Sounds silly but I take this very seriously. :p
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I don't want to wake up one morning and find I am an arthritic, obese old lady popping pills for a variety of illnesses.

I want to continue to travel,
    see places I never thought I would see,
    kayak in the Caribbean,
    rappel down waterfalls,
    ride donkeys along the mountain paths,
    swim in warm oceans,
    snorkel with turtles and brightly coloured fish,
    Clamber around ancient ruins,
    Wear sleek evening dresses,
    Rock it in a bikini,
    Have romantic evenings, and nights,

And last of all, enjoy rolling around the floor with my grandson.

Cheers, h.
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Having more energy to haul my kids around. Replacing child bearing years outfits one by one with clothes I enjoy wearing. Not having pain after walking all day for double shifts at work.
  • FitnessGirl11mfp
    FitnessGirl11mfp Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Those are all amazing motivational factors :-) I'm sorry I can't respond to all of you, but I love each and every one's response. You all are doing a fantastic job on this fitness journey! Keep it up!!
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    My motivations are somewhat vain and selfish.

I'm 25 years old and spent most of my twenties thus far AVOIDING things - much of which is due to insecurity, not least of which is my weight. I don't want to be 80 years old and only have a lifetime of avoiding *kitten* to remember. Step one is losing weight - although nowadays, I'm trying to focus more on eating less and moving more rather than LOSE WEIGHT, if that makes sense? I gained five pounds over the weekend and ate considerably over my calorie limit, for example; in the past that would have been so demoralized that I'd have binged and given up, but now I'm trying to simply chalk it up to salt, possible TOM, and other factors... and keep trucking along.

I'm sorta obsessed with running, despite not entirely being up to 5K yet. I've been reading Runner's World posts, forums, and any books I can get my hands on. I love how open and friendly the running community is, and my motivation to keep at this is to eventually be able to do half-marathons (and hell, maybe full marathons). I've always wanted to do color runs and zombie runs, and I'm so stoked about the idea that I CAN DO IT.
  • cbrunenkant
    cbrunenkant Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My motivations are somewhat vain and selfish.

I'm 25 years old and spent most of my twenties thus far AVOIDING things - much of which is due to insecurity, not least of which is my weight. I don't want to be 80 years old and only have a lifetime of avoiding *kitten* to remember. Step one is losing weight - although nowadays, I'm trying to focus more on eating less and moving more rather than LOSE WEIGHT, if that makes sense? I gained five pounds over the weekend and ate considerably over my calorie limit, for example; in the past that would have been so demoralized that I'd have binged and given up, but now I'm trying to simply chalk it up to salt, possible TOM, and other factors... and keep trucking along.

I'm sorta obsessed with running, despite not entirely being up to 5K yet. I've been reading Runner's World posts, forums, and any books I can get my hands on. I love how open and friendly the running community is, and my motivation to keep at this is to eventually be able to do half-marathons (and hell, maybe full marathons). I've always wanted to do color runs and zombie runs, and I'm so stoked about the idea that I CAN DO IT.

I totally agree with you about not giving up. To me, this is my new lifestyle. If it takes me 6 months to lose my weight or 5 years, it doesn't matter. My weight loss isn't a race, it's a new lifestyle for me. I'm not going back to living an unhealthy lifestyle.
  • Remilia_Scarlet
    Remilia_Scarlet Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I just feel worthless. At least I'd be good for something if I was pretty.
  • AllSUMLIFE
    AllSUMLIFE Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Doing things that make me feel strong, confident & in control is a huge motivator for me. Those words are how I want to be able to honestly describe myself. So when I make a choice, I ask myself if I'll feel that way after I make my choice.

- Sarah
    All+SUM LIFE
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I just feel worthless. At least I'd be good for something if I was pretty.
    This is harsh but I do feel the same a lot of times... :|

• FitnessGirl11mfp
    Options
    Thank you for the responses guys and for the honesty. We all have different forms of motivation. Hey I say if it works, it works :-) Just wanted to share an NSV and big motivator...
    I tried on a pair of jeans the other day (size 14) and they fit :-) Last year and especially when I was pregnant (baby is now 4 months old), I was in a size 18. So it was a pleasant surprise when the 14s fit me :-)
  • FitnessGirl11mfp
    Options

I'm sorry you feel that way hun. I have felt like that many times. But honestly, you have to learn to love yourself. Losing weight probably won't change a low self esteem until you love yourself from within. Just know that you have support from all or us at mfp.
    Take care.
  • clairelouisekaa
    clairelouisekaa Posts: 74 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Being told by my doctor at 38 that I wouldn't make it to 40 was pretty good motivation lol xx I was an insulin type 2 diabetic, tablets for blood pressure and cholesterol - 116lb later, no diabetes meds or any other meds and I am proud I have a resting heart rate of 59 it used to be 106 xx that is my motivation every day xx
  • eriksen_ken
    eriksen_ken Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Geting better every day! Thats my goal.