Chasm between "official" MFP site and community?

Hungry_Shopgirl
Hungry_Shopgirl Posts: 329 Member
I've noticed quite a gap between what the "official" MFP blogs say and what the community here says.

The most obvious example is this recent article on the blog about plateaus: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/what-causes-a-weight-loss-plateau/

When this question is asked here in the community (and it gets asked a lot) the most common answer given is: "If you're in a so-called plateau it just means you're eating at maintenance. Eat less calories. Done" (for example here and here).

Eating too much wasn't even mentioned in the article (!!!)

So what gives? It seems like there's a chasm between the advice the "official" MFP site gives what the community deems good advice.

Can anyone explain this dynamic to me?

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    I know what you mean, and I think there may be some better examples out there, but 3) did cover that they were eating enough to maintain their weights and should recalculate their calories or exercise more. It wasn't written in the same somewhat blunt manner you might see on the forums, but IMO the message was there

As to why a lot of the articles might differ from what you see on the forums, well. They're just that, articles, and I wonder if they aren't more geared towards entertainment or at least making the reader feel good, so that their business actually profits. Some of the stuff you read on the forums can be rather bracing and makes you take a good hard look at yourself, and that's just not always a pleasant process and could at least temporarily lead to the opposite of making money. Again, JMO
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    The MFP blogs are essentially click-bait. The content may or may not be true. Their primary purpose is to attract people to the site in the hope that they will sign up, informing and educating are secondary.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    The blogs are just click bait filled with derp and woo. The content is often laughable.
  • merlosc33
    merlosc33 Posts: 38 Member
    Add
  • Hungry_Shopgirl
    Hungry_Shopgirl Posts: 329 Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    They're just that, articles, and I wonder if they aren't more geared towards entertainment or at least making the reader feel good, so that their business actually profits.

I think you have a point! I hadn't even thought about it from the view of a business trying to make money.

And I do agree with you thorsmom01 that the content is often laughable....I guess it just makes me cringe since so many people come to this site because they need real help dealing with weight issues that might be critical to their health/life. So to see a less than clear article or ones that promote misinformation is really sad; it just adds to people's confusion....

Thanks for helping me understand it a bit more!