What's one tip you do to stay on track?

Options
nm212
nm212 Posts: 570 Member
Mine is drinking water and tea! Also, getting comfortable with hunger pains. Instead of snacking all day, I drink alot of water and tea. This helps me to know if I'm really hungry or not. If I still feel hungry, I eat but most of the time, it's psychological I think or maybe just dehydrated. Easy to mistake hunger for thirst!

Replies

• nm212
    Options
    That's good. I try to do that but sometimes I don't stick with it. It is helpful though, for sure!
  • merr1cose
    merr1cose Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Set aside time to prep food / plan for the week
  • VitaSh
    VitaSh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    finding your number 1 "why" and that's what pushes you whatever you may feel that day.
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    chewyxrage wrote: »
    Pre-log your days

this
  • Brithicks
    Brithicks Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    meal prep for the week, including knowing a loose plan of what I will be eating, grocery shopping for that plan, and getting some of those things started (like roasted veggies, grilled meat, hard boiled eggs, etc.). Also, pre logging my day helps me to stay on track. Planning my treats is also helpful for me not binge or go over my goal when I want a glass of wine or ice cream or something. I know that I have room in my week for a couple glasses of wine and a big brunch and an ice cream night (I can't keep ice cream in my house at this point in my life because I am unable to control myself with it).
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Plan plan plan. If I'm going out to eat, I check yelp for an online menu and plan my day accordingly. Then I stick to the plan.

As far as the mental game goes, I made a list of all the excuses I could think of to overeat, and then I countered them with strategies to succeed. I carry that list in my purse!
  • YoRetig
    YoRetig Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have lots of tricks-- drink lots of water and tea, eat tons of cucumbers (filling and very low calories), etc.

Another very important thing is to get enough sleep. This can't be over-emphasized, but people still tend to not get enough sleep. It's often hard to do, but a serious investment in your longterm health and success.

I find that having a "range" goal helps than rather having one strict goal. For example, it can be helpful to aim for a net of 1200-1350 net calories a day, rather than just saying "1275 is my goal," because it gives some flexibility. The numbers I gave are really just an example-- the range needs to be suited to your goals and how much you are exercising.

One thing I do that helps me is to really reflect on why I am doing what I am doing. If I truly feel that what I am doing is important, and that it is worth it, the choice becomes much easier and doesn't feel like a struggle. I become happy with my decision to not have an extra slice, not miserable that I "can't" have one. Whenever I am somewhat tempted to go off-plan, I think, "I *could* do or eat that, but I choose not to. I want to continue to be on plan, because it's important."
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Save calories for before bed when I like to snack
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging.

Making my lunches for the week on Sunday.

Planning dinners for Mon-Wed.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    log or pre log....EVERYTHING YOU EAT. be honest with yourself
  • nm212
    Options
    YoRetig wrote: »
    I have lots of tricks-- drink lots of water and tea, eat tons of cucumbers (filling and very low calories), etc.

Another very important thing is to get enough sleep. This can't be over-emphasized, but people still tend to not get enough sleep. It's often hard to do, but a serious investment in your longterm health and success.

I find that having a "range" goal helps than rather having one strict goal. For example, it can be helpful to aim for a net of 1200-1350 net calories a day, rather than just saying "1275 is my goal," because it gives some flexibility. The numbers I gave are really just an example-- the range needs to be suited to your goals and how much you are exercising.

One thing I do that helps me is to really reflect on why I am doing what I am doing. If I truly feel that what I am doing is important, and that it is worth it, the choice becomes much easier and doesn't feel like a struggle. I become happy with my decision to not have an extra slice, not miserable that I "can't" have one. Whenever I am somewhat tempted to go off-plan, I think, "I *could* do or eat that, but I choose not to. I want to continue to be on plan, because it's important."

I like what you said about being flexible with your calorie goals. That def takes the pressure off! Plus, if I am aiming hard at hitting a certain number, I almost always go over! When I am more relaxed about it , it's so much easier. It also helps me sometimes to think about how food makes me feel after I eat it. Like last week, I had a crazy day where I ate pizza and a hot dog within a few hours...and I felt so bloated after. Today, I passed up free pizza in my office because I remembered how it made me feel last time and instead got a delicious salad with all the works! I feel great eating this and proud of my choice. If I do have pizza , it will be because I really want it and not because it's just available to me.
  • nm212
    Options
    Save calories for before bed when I like to snack

good idea . i like to snack at night too...it's my biggest weakness

• tanyacwilson
    tanyacwilson Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    No late night eating. Ever. This was my only problem time so once I decided that eating after 8 was not a option I have been able to successfully stick to my plan. The rest of the day is well planned and prepped. The least I have to ask myself what do I want to eat the better my success.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Batch cook in larger quantities and freeze individual portions so you always have something in house that's easy to grab.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    No late night eating. Ever. This was my only problem time so once I decided that eating after 8 was not a option I have been able to successfully stick to my plan. The rest of the day is well planned and prepped. The least I have to ask myself what do I want to eat the better my success.

I'm the exact opposite. I have to save myself 300 calories before bed or I can't sleep and I will end up in a binge.
  • ho11y4271
    ho11y4271 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I remember why I'm doing this, to be fit and healthy.
    Plan ahead.
    Eat what I love.
    No cheat days/meals (I always have hated cheat days or meals and takes me off track)