How do YOU drink 8 glasses of water a day?

Options

Replies

• VitaSh
    VitaSh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    hahahahaha^
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    2 years ago when I started my weight loss journey I never drank water. I really just couldn't stand plain water, now its the only thing I drink besides coffee. I knew I needed to start drinking it so I bought a cute stainless steel insulated water bottle on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Armour-Beyond-Vacuum-Insulated/dp/B00HQWT4M0/ref=pd_sim_79_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=31iAcZPZ77L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=0YQEK9RVPFY45P38CCRC

It goes with me everywhere I go, and since I eat so frequently I just fill it up with every meal and snack throughout the day. I learned that I prefer room temperature water so I can chug the whole bottle down at once. Cold water took too long to sip. So basically I eat, then chug. Been doing that for so long now that I can't imagine not drinking my water! I usually end up about 110 oz per day plus coffee.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I got a cute Contigo water bottle that fits 1.5 bottles of water. I try to drink 3-4 full a day.

Mio and Crystal Light are really delicious and give your water variety :). Today I've got watermelon strawberry, and blue raspberry.
  • AliceAxe
    AliceAxe Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    AliceAxe wrote: »
    Ive been wondering this too! I got up to 6 but then it started making me nauseous to drink more so I had to back it off.

but I see many of you count other drinks as well? I thought only pure water counted..

I keep water with me all the time too and try to remeber to down a a glass before meals , usualy as I start too cook.

Water in the food that you cook, counts as well; such as: soup & the nauseousness, was most likely a sign; of water poisoning.

thanks for the info, oh gee so , yeah I wasnt counting all that because I read other liquids counted more as food . Since there is a separate drinks section on MFP from the water tally , Ive been counting them separately. good thing I backed off! I'll have to take a look back at my diary and see how much liquids in general I was actualy consuming. it seemed like I was peeing way too much! haha
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I don't think we really need to drink that much water but... I always have a cup or water bottle with me at work and like to drink throughout the day. Just start the habit and you'll increase the amount you drink.
  • hpbourguignon
    hpbourguignon Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I drink sparkling water... Here in Belgium it is plentiful and not expensive... A thought if you take a 1/2 liter bottle and fill it 3 times and you have passed the mark.
  • mellyo77
    mellyo77 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I was given very good advice to try and drink a gallon a day. It was initially difficult because although I drink a ton of water I did not monitor how much - at work I would get busy and forget. I bought a 32 oz bottle and set reminders at intervals where I thought I should be at least down one bottle, if I wasn't finished I would chug it. It almost took some training but now I drink minimal a gallon - more if I am working out. It has made a huge difference (my skin, my weight loss, my headaches). It took time for my body to adjust (lots of peeing) now I don't go anymore than normal, and I find I crave the water if I am a bit slower in my intake than normal.
  • MBCat2016
    MBCat2016 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I drink 1 cup coffee and at least 3 cups unsweetened herbal tea. The rest of the water is at meals.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising? As I get better with my exercising my need for water has gone up.
  • larydoe
    larydoe Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone about getting a good water bottle and just sipping throughout the day. One thing to consider is that if you are eating fruits and vegetables that are higher in water content (watermelon, grapes, cantaloupe for example) you are getting a portion of that daily intake from those items.

Not to be too graphic, but the color of urine will easily tell you if you are drinking enough. Darker bad, lighter good.

Good luck!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,985 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    -- 2-3 cups of plain coffee (approx. 400 ml each)
    -- 1-2 cups of plain tea (approx. 400 ml each)
    -- 750 ml bottle of plain water
    -- 1 litre of Coke Zero

Total: 3350 ml ... 13.4 cups of "water" a day. :)

More if I go cycling.

Any less than that and my feet cramp.

• Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I don't. I have to force myself to drink even a few cups. Even at the gym I force the water down me. I prefer hot drinks. I'm never thirsty
  • mellyo77
    mellyo77 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Ive been wondering this too! I got up to 6 but then it started making me nauseous to drink more so I had to back it off.

but I see many of you count other drinks as well? I thought only pure water counted..

I keep water with me all the time too and try to remeber to down a a glass before meals , usualy as I start too cook.

Water in the food that you cook, counts as well; such as: soup & the nauseousness, was most likely a sign; of water poisoning.

thanks for the info, oh gee so , yeah I wasnt counting all that because I read other liquids counted more as food . Since there is a separate drinks section on MFP from the water tally , Ive been counting them separately. good thing I backed off! I'll have to take a look back at my diary and see how much liquids in general I was actualy consuming. it seemed like I was peeing way too much! haha

I respectfully disagree - 6 cups of water plus water from soups etc will not send someone into hyponatremia (water poisoning). Hyponatremia happens when you consume too much water and do not consume enough electrolytes to balance it and the sodium levels in the body drop below safety points. This happens to athletes (for example marathon runners) who are engaged in extensive long term activity and drink large quantities of water. 6 cups of water and eating things like soup and vegetables will not give someone "water poisoning". The very principal is contradictory - foods have sodium which counteract the fluid intake - 6 cups of water is not a large amount.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    -- 2-3 cups of plain coffee (approx. 400 ml each)
    -- 1-2 cups of plain tea (approx. 400 ml each)
    -- 750 ml bottle of plain water
    -- 1 litre of Coke Zero

Total: 3350 ml ... 13.4 cups of "water" a day. :)

More if I go cycling.

Any less than that and my feet cramp.

You forgot to add all the water in your food. Unless everything you eat is extremely dry.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I don't
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,996 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about trying to drink 8 cups per day. I drink 2 cups of coffee in the morning. I usually drink a cup of herbal tea at lunch and then I just drink water throughout the day as needed. As long as I'm not thirsty and my pee is light then I know I'm good.
  • valerieuk1708
    valerieuk1708 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I try to drink at least 2-2,5 litres of water a day (including tea/coffee/soup/etc).

I'm not big fan of plain water so I squeez lemon or orange into mine to give it some flavour.
    You can even dilute juice, 100ml of juice + 400ml of water but make sure u count calories in juices as most of them are sugary.

I fill water bottle and then sip throughout the day, if I stop for an hour or so (work etc) then I chug down what's left later on.