Any crossfit-ers?

Options
dtlp
dtlp Posts: 46 Member
I'm looking at starting crossfit but I have told it's 'not for everyone.' What are the things I should know before I join? Any advice before I start?

Replies

• smileymaxine
    smileymaxine Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I've only done metcon so can't be too much help , looking to start WODs but the start class at my gym is only once a week.
    Metcon is intense but is fun , normally you do as much as we can and really push your limits if you are competitive it is great... Bring water , speak to the trainers about any moves you need modified or injuries etc , make sure you have certified trainers and a good gym.

If you can find a start class it's a good way to ease into it ( saying that they are still insane)

It has a nice community atmosphere though, you help each other through workouts that's what I like the most
  • dtlp
    Options
    I've only done metcon so can't be too much help , looking to start WODs but the start class at my gym is only once a week.
    Metcon is intense but is fun , normally you do as much as we can and really push your limits if you are competitive it is great... Bring water , speak to the trainers about any moves you need modified or injuries etc , make sure you have certified trainers and a good gym.

If you can find a start class it's a good way to ease into it ( saying that they are still insane)

It has a nice community atmosphere though, you help each other through workouts that's what I like the most

Will they allow me to do it if I have shoulder injuries? Will my injuries get in the way?
    They offer a start class but I'm still nervous as strength isn't my strong point.
    What was its effect on your body? Did you see significant changes?
  • julielh72
    julielh72 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If you like constantly varied intense workouts, making friends and being part of a fitness community you will love it.

The first few months you will ache...a lot.

You'll get strong.

You'll do a lot of burpees.

There are a lot of crossfit haters out there....you'll need to learn to ignore them!

Go for it!!
  • smileymaxine
    smileymaxine Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I do it only on occasion but always feel it's a great workout, you can tapper the weights to your strength there is recommended weights but you can always lower them.
    Id speak to someone at your box about your shoulder . You might not be able to do some of the moves but they likely can give you alternatives.
    It's an strong workout and you will most certainly see strength gains and likely fat loss if you are keeping to a good diet.
    Go in and give it a shot , start with the START classes, they normally take you through moves more slower and give you a chance to ask questions.
    dtlp wrote: »

Will they allow me to do it if I have shoulder injuries? Will my injuries get in the way?
    They offer a start class but I'm still nervous as strength isn't my strong point.

• julielh72
    julielh72 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I started crossfit after a shoulder dislocation. The coaches scaled exercises for me so I could still do the WODs and encouraged me to do lots of rehab (band and light dumbbell work) exercises to strengthen my injured shoulder. You will definitely see changes over time. I've been crossfitting for 7 months and my butt has lifted and my back is more toned. Still waiting for abs :wink:
  • dtlp
    Options
    I do it only on occasion but always feel it's a great workout, you can tapper the weights to your strength there is recommended weights but you can always lower them.
    Id speak to someone at your box about your shoulder . You might not be able to do some of the moves but they likely can give you alternatives.
    It's an strong workout and you will most certainly see strength gains and likely fat loss if you are keeping to a good diet.
    Go in and give it a shot , start with the START classes, they normally take you through moves more slower and give you a chance to ask questions.

julielh72 wrote: »
    I started crossfit after a shoulder dislocation. The coaches scaled exercises for me so I could still do the WODs and encouraged me to do lots of rehab (band and light dumbbell work) exercises to strengthen my injured shoulder. You will definitely see changes over time. I've been crossfitting for 7 months and my butt has lifted and my back is more toned. Still waiting for abs :wink:

Thanks for all the info ladies! Very excited to start now!! :)
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have done CrossFit for 5 years and hiit classes the gym offers. Good trainers will strengthen the shoulder. It's not about pushing beyond your limits its about building those limits.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Boxes vary a lot. Some are really good and have coaches who know what they are doing and will teach form carefully and supervise well. I'd try to get some feedback on your local options or just evaluate those kinds of things carefully. (I really like the box I've gone to, and learned a lot about proper form there, and they don't do some of the goofy workouts I've heard about -- with far too much focus on speed and volume over form.)

You definitely should tell the coach about your injury, as they can take it into account and modify things.

There are all levels there -- not being strong isn't going to make you stick out. My experience has been that people are really accepting of and excited to have beginners and people who aren't yet in great shape.

There's a group here called Crossfit Love where you can get more feedback, too.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at starting crossfit but I have told it's 'not for everyone.' What are the things I should know before I join? Any advice before I start?

I would advise that you know how to lift weights.
    I would advise you know proper lifting form.
    I would advise you learn your limits and when to stop.
    I would advise you research about your local crossfit gym before you join.
    I would advise you take a beginner's "ramp on" type plan before joining.

I personally don't like crossfit. It's not enjoyable, i've seen too many injuries, and i don't think it's the best workout. But if you enjoy it then you should try it.

Most of the injuries i've seen is from people:
    Performing exercises with bad form
    Performing exercises as quickly as they can while their form suffers
    Pushing themselves beyond their physical capabilities because of the competitive environment
    Not being corrected by coaches who either don't care or don't pay attention

I joking told my step dad that he would get rhabdo if he did crossfit. He joined.... 3 weeks later he was hospitalized with rhabdo. :neutral: Self fulfilling prophecy because he didn't heed the advice above.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If you are on Facebook, make a list of all the local boxes you are interested in joining. This will give you a handy clearinghouse to not only compare each individual box and its culture, but to compare each gym's programming and to become familiar with the people that train at each box and the coaches. For example, one of my local boxes does strength training first (squat, deadlift, snatch, etc) then they flow into the WOD. Another box switches its programming every six weeks from strength to mobility to gymnastics before running the WOD -- this might help you select which box is right for you.

Also, try some of the WODs out that don't require barbells or fancy equipment (like a GHD) and run some WODs at the gym you are currently at or from your home. Try before you buy, because CF isn't cheap.

But all-in-all, if you want community and some great exercise and learn some physical skills, CF may be the fitness experience you are looking for.
    Effective, smart, coaching will program/scale around movements that piss off your shoulders. Your injuries shouldn't get in the way, but if they ask for something out of your comfort zone, it will be up to you to put the breaks on it.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

what kind of shoulder injury are you talking about?

If it's a rotator cuff injury, tear, etc. I would say you need to go through physical therapy before you start deadlifting, benching, snatching, pressing, lateral raising, performing crazy crossfit moves.

If it's shoulder bursitis, impengement, etc. i'd say ask the coaches first. If you have unstable shoulder and havent strengthened the surrounding areas yet, you are opening yourself up for a higher change of injury.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    CrossFit is not for everyone, but it's for a lot of people. I've been doing CF for almost a year, prior to that I did my own thing in the gym. My wife just started a few months ago, after not really getting why I was so into it, and she's now a bigger addict than I am. You'll love CrossFit if you -
    • Don't like doing the same workout over and over
    • Like working out in a class/social environment
    • Are in the least bit competitive (with yourself or others)
    • Can check your ego at the door and not worry about how much you are lifting
    • Want to leanr proper lifting technique
    • Are looking for a way to push yourself harder than you ever have before
    • Don't mind growing your workout wardrobe (inside joke, if you stick with CF you'll get it after a while)
    • Have a gym bag that will hold multiple pair of shoes (inside joke, if you stick with CF you'll get it after a while)

As far as the injury, it depends what it is as has been said above. I sprained my shoulder a month ago while warming up for bench press (stupid injury) and except for a few days taken off here and there, I've been able to work around the injury. Most coaches will be good at substituting exercises for things you can do. It may make it hard to complete the on-boarding class that most boxes offer if your injury completely prevents certain movement, but if the coach is not willing to work with you, then it's probably not a box you want to get involved with.
  • dtlp
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

what kind of shoulder injury are you talking about?

If it's a rotator cuff injury, tear, etc. I would say you need to go through physical therapy before you start deadlifting, benching, snatching, pressing, lateral raising, performing crazy crossfit moves.

If it's shoulder bursitis, impengement, etc. i'd say ask the coaches first. If you have unstable shoulder and havent strengthened the surrounding areas yet, you are opening yourself up for a higher change of injury.

I think you're right I'll have to get it checked as I haven't seen a physio in over a year due to my financial situation, but it'll definitely be worth getting it looked at because it has become a lot worse. I get a lot of pinching, muscle spasms and there's constant pain. Although when I use machines at the gym it seems to be okay which is why I thought I wouldn't have to worry. Thanks for the advice.
  • dtlp
    Options
    CrossFit is not for everyone, but it's for a lot of people. I've been doing CF for almost a year, prior to that I did my own thing in the gym. My wife just started a few months ago, after not really getting why I was so into it, and she's now a bigger addict than I am. You'll love CrossFit if you -
    • Don't like doing the same workout over and over
    • Like working out in a class/social environment
    • Are in the least bit competitive (with yourself or others)
    • Can check your ego at the door and not worry about how much you are lifting
    • Want to leanr proper lifting technique
    • Are looking for a way to push yourself harder than you ever have before
    • Don't mind growing your workout wardrobe (inside joke, if you stick with CF you'll get it after a while)
    • Have a gym bag that will hold multiple pair of shoes (inside joke, if you stick with CF you'll get it after a while)

As far as the injury, it depends what it is as has been said above. I sprained my shoulder a month ago while warming up for bench press (stupid injury) and except for a few days taken off here and there, I've been able to work around the injury. Most coaches will be good at substituting exercises for things you can do. It may make it hard to complete the on-boarding class that most boxes offer if your injury completely prevents certain movement, but if the coach is not willing to work with you, then it's probably not a box you want to get involved with.

I wouldn't be concerned about how much I'm lifting, and I'm willing to push myself but I do a very competitive nature...
    I will do the start classes and see if I enjoy it and if I'm capable with my injury and if not... I think my next option will be personal training.

Thanks everyone for all the information and advice:)
  • theWODdoll
    theWODdoll Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am a CrossFit trainer. Things to know:

Not all CrossFit gyms are the same, if you don't like the first one you go to, try another one.

Your trainers should be paying attention to you and the class, giving cues and actually coaching, not sitting around chatting. If the coaches aren't being attentive and being lazy, get out! Those are the trainers that give CF a bad name

Listen to your coaches. The good ones know what they're talking about and people get injured when they don't listen to their coaches.

Listen to your body, your coach will push you but you know your limits. I've been doing CrossFit for 4 years and I love it. I'm not obsessed with it but it is the best workout regimen for me. My brother isn't into it but that's ok! He does his own thing at his gym. Let me know how it goes!
  • theWODdoll
    theWODdoll Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Oh and I've never ever ever had an injury doing CrossFit! I listen to my coaches, listen to my body, and never try to max out if it means my form is gonna be off. Train smart not hard!
  • dtlp
    Options
    theWODdoll wrote: »
    Oh and I've never ever ever had an injury doing CrossFit! I listen to my coaches, listen to my body, and never try to max out if it means my form is gonna be off. Train smart not hard!

Okay so basically if the coaches are great, then I should be fine! Thank you for the information :)
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I LOVE crossfit. Totally try it! If there is more then one crossfit box (gym) in your area. You made want to try both to see which one fits you. I go to a smaller of the two which is less competitive and smaller class size then the other box. Plus I usually take my kids with me and the owner is perfectly fine with that :)
    What I love most is it is always different. While you do alot of the same exercises, there are so many different combos you won't get bored like you woulf after a while of aerobics. Add me as a friend!
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Will they allow me to do it if I have shoulder injuries? Yes
    Will my injuries get in the way? Not necessarily but you'll find yourself doing a lot of squats, deadlifts, etc (not necessarily a bad thing
    They offer a start class but I'm still nervous as strength isn't my strong point. That really doesn't matter. You'll build strength. They don't expect you to come in as hulk hogan. I'm incredibly strong for my fitness level, but some of the women I started with can't lift a quarter of the weight I can. On the other hand they can run a hell of a lot further than I can and can definitely do more burpees than I can. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. Once you get comfortable in the movements your weaknesses are things you can work on and improve at.
    What was its effect on your body? The effect on your body is completely dependent on the amount of work you put in and what you eat
    Did you see significant changes? Yes! I've lost 25 lbs in the last 6 months (it would be more if my diet were better) and I've lost a bunch of inches. I've dropped a pants size, 2 bra sizes, and a shirt size (and this is happening even when I'm not losing weight. I did an 8 week fitness challenge back in January-March. In that time I dropped 14 lbs, over 5 inches, I increased my front squat strength by 20 lbs and my wod reps increased by 25 reps. That was in only 8 weeks. Think of how your body could change in a year.

I love CrossFit. I never have to think about it. I show up, they tell me what to do and I do it. If I suck at it I suck at it. I still get a workout in. If I don't I really love the workout haha. I can kill some thrusters but some days I can't even run 200 meters. But my workout partner can run 800 meters faster than anyone in the class but she struggles with weights. Depending on the workout, sometimes I'm the last one done other days I'm not. I am in awe of the things my body can already do that I thought would take years! I get stronger every week even if it doesn't show on the weights I know it's happening. It's little things like when I started I couldn't do a pushup in plank. Now I can do more than 20 of them in plank. When I started I could barely get my knees above my hips from the rigs, now I can get my feet up to my shoulders. I might actually be able to do a toes to bar by the end of the year. Burpees still haven't gotten any damn easier though. Grr. I hate me some metcon, but I still run outside of CrossFit so that I get better.

Plus, I've made some awesome friends in CrossFit. Friends like I've never had before. they're always cheering for me and even though sometimes I'm the slowest in the class they're inspired by me and I by them. It's an amazing camaraderie that you won't find at any other gym.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    theWODdoll wrote: »

Okay so basically if the coaches are great, then I should be fine! Thank you for the information :)

Don't be too general. Injuries can happen. It's always a risk in any form of physical activity. I mean, I was always getting hurt in school sports back in the day. Just know that if you have an injury it doesn't mean you have a bad coach and know that even the best coach can't always prevent an injury. I mean we had a girl who fell on the box jump, it got infected and she ended up admitted into the hospital. Accidents happen, but don't listen to the hype that it's any more likely to happen in CrossFit than other forms of exercise. That's a load of hooey. I got more injuries in basketball every year than I've gotten in CrossFit. The worst thing I've had in CF is I tripped on the box jump the other day so I'm sure my shin will be hurting for the next 3-6 months.