Too many calories

Options
Hey guys. I have a question if someone could give me some advice. So mfp is saying to eat 2400 cals which at my weight 310 and being 5'8 is ok considering it's only my 3rd day keeping track and being active. But tbh even 2400 seems so much...i cant eat enough to get even those sometimes but then i put in my exercise which is like 10min zumba and i go walk for about an hour daily in the late afternoon and it jumps my calories left to eat a lot and there is no way i can eat that much. Does this sound right? Or should i not bother logging my activities at all???

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Were you eating less than 2,400 a day before you began tracking?
  • ludazatobom
    ludazatobom Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Definitely not. I ate a lot more. But this considering how unhealthy i ate. Even if i ate only 3 times before i ate so badly. Breads and pastas and chips...huge sandwiches which were nothing but bread mayo and bologne....like it was sick. And I'd eat sometimes at 1am. I had no control or care what i ate. I'd say i ate close to 3500 on a bad day.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    You don't have to get all your calories. Just be sure you get proper nutrition and don't eat over what is assigned to you.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If you aren't hungry, don't worry about eating and meeting that number. The goal is to not go over that number, but don't try to stuff yourself just to meet it. Some days I'm shy a few hundred calories because I'm satiated and don't feel the need to eat.

But I think those numbers are about right, for now.
  • ludazatobom
    Options
    Oh and to add. I was always hungry before because i never ate right. It was always crap. The unhealthiest of garbage. But for the past 3 days i have been loading on veggies...lean meats...i even eat avocados now which i never used to but only half at breakfast. I eat things like brown rice and lentils...so these things are i think satisfying me so much more by actually giving my body what it needs therefore i feel less hungry and it seems like it looks like I'm eating too much. Ugh i hope so at least.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Definitely not. I ate a lot more. But this considering how unhealthy i ate. Even if i ate only 3 times before i ate so badly. Breads and pastas and chips...huge sandwiches which were nothing but bread mayo and bologne....like it was sick. And I'd eat sometimes at 1am. I had no control or care what i ate. I'd say i ate close to 3500 on a bad day.

Okay - breads, pasta, and chips.......there is nothing wrong with these foods in MODERATION.

I still eat all my "regular" foods. But the difference now is I measure everything. Learning portion sizes for all foods (as opposed to just diet ones) .....gives me tools for maintenance. I will need to control calories when I get to goal too.

Perhaps 2400 sounds like a lot because you are no longer eating calorie dense foods. Don't worry about exercise calories for now. As you get closer to goal, you will want to eat back some of those though (helps fuel lean muscle).
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posts. Sometimes you will not be hungry and I'm sure there will be days, like after a really strenuous exercise day, you will be really hungry. Listen to your body, if you are hungry, eat but don't go over the 2400.
  • ludazatobom
    Options
    Thank you guys. I have noted all your points and that's what I'll do then. :) Im not planning on cutting out bread and things completely. I will allow it in moderation like TeaBae has said. But this being the start for me and me being addicted to those foods i feel like it's best i take a break from them for a little while until i get my portions and everything under control. I'm also an emotional eater. So I'm just trying to practice some self control until I reintroduce those foods back.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Allow little bits and pieces back into your diet - nuts are a higher calorie snack, maybe think about investing in some protein powder so you can have a shake or mix it into oats in the morning, you can also have it with Greek yogurt and it'll give you a boost of around 100calories and up your protein :smile:

I'm a massive fan of nut butter and places like Nuts n more or buff bake do some delicious ones - again you can add that to oats in the morning or on a rice cake as a snack. As long as you aren't massively UNDER eating then you should be fine!
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    you might try low carb. i was 355 and when i went low carb i was satisfied and was and still am losing weight while eating 1200 to 1500 cals. in 17 weeks i have lost 58 pounds. few to no cravings. thats with no exercise
  • ludazatobom
    Options
    Omg i wanna lose 58lbs in 17 weeks toooo lol.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    How confident are you in the accuracy of your logging? Are you weighing your food? Just want to make sure you aren't under-estimating your calories.
  • violet_wister
    violet_wister Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Hey! My starting stats were very similar to yours, except I'm an inch taller and was 4lbs lighter at the beginning, and I just wanted to say that, like the poster who was advising you to do low carb, I have also lost around that much in slightly less time. EXCEPT I didn't do low carb, I did pure CICO. So I guess I just wanted to say that it's not essential to follow a specific diet to see those kinds of losses. I just followed the MFP calorie recommendations to lose 2lbs a week, and paid no attention to macros.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you what, ludazatobom, you just keep logging accurately your food, eat all the vegetables and protein you can stuff in your face, stop eating each day somewhere between 1200 calories and your mfp calorie budget, and you will lose 58 lb in 17 weeks.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

He was under eating. Unless under medical supervision, 1200 calories is not an appropriate calorie goal for men, let alone 355 pound men.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. I have a question if someone could give me some advice. So mfp is saying to eat 2400 cals which at my weight 310 and being 5'8 is ok considering it's only my 3rd day keeping track and being active. But tbh even 2400 seems so much...i cant eat enough to get even those sometimes but then i put in my exercise which is like 10min zumba and i go walk for about an hour daily in the late afternoon and it jumps my calories left to eat a lot and there is no way i can eat that much. Does this sound right? Or should i not bother logging my activities at all???

From what i read in the forums, you should not put too much trust in the calories given for exercise in MFP. You may get too much credit for calories burned. Some people say to eat back half your exercise calories.
  • ludazatobom
    Options

Hey! My starting stats were very similar to yours, except I'm an inch taller and was 4lbs lighter at the beginning, and I just wanted to say that, like the poster who was advising you to do low carb, I have also lost around that much in slightly less time. EXCEPT I didn't do low carb, I did pure CICO. So I guess I just wanted to say that it's not essential to follow a specific diet to see those kinds of losses. I just followed the MFP calorie recommendations to lose 2lbs a week, and paid no attention to macros.

I like that. It sounds healthier too your way.
  • steviejanedrake
    steviejanedrake Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have also been wondering about this because my best friend and I started doing mfp together and it seems really hard for her to eat enough to get anywhere close to her calorie goal. but for me I have to make a huge effort to stay under mine. she is 5'3 and started at 227 lbs mfp gave her a 1600 calorie goal. I am 5'10 started at 207 lbs and my calorie goal is 1200. it's been working really well for me, but not so much for her. I wonder if you and my friend are having the same problem?
  • ludazatobom
    Options
    I have also been wondering about this because my best friend and I started doing mfp together and it seems really hard for her to eat enough to get anywhere close to her calorie goal. but for me I have to make a huge effort to stay under mine. she is 5'3 and started at 227 lbs mfp gave her a 1600 calorie goal. I am 5'10 started at 207 lbs and my calorie goal is 1200. it's been working really well for me, but not so much for her. I wonder if you and my friend are having the same problem?

I think what my problem was is that I used to before i started using mfp eat perhaps less in a day but i would eat foods so high in calories and i mean fast food, junk upon junk, pop , sweets that I'd rack up over 3000cals if not more in a day with just 2 meals and everything inbetween I'd consume. Now though i eat 3 times a day with a snack in between and i try to really infuse my system with healthy vitamins, proteins, grains, etc. Since these foods are much lower in calories it seemes like i can't catch up to the 2400 mfp recommended. But lots of ppl have helped me here and told me just to make sure I dont go over that amount and if i am under by a few hundred not to worry and so that is what I'm doing. I'm just trying to listen to my body mostly.