Looking for fellow PCOS-ers to motivate and educate each other

Replies

• treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Welcome...I have lots to loose too. One thing I do is try to have a similar meal so I'm not making two meals for example kids love chicken tzkiki wraps. I'm doing low carb so they have wraps and I have all the same goodies on my salad. If they have steak sups I'll have steak stir fry. I also bbq up extra chicken breasts at dinner so I'll have them for lunches. For movie snacks instead of potatoes chips we have quinoa chips etc...no one feels like they are missing out. I try to do as much food prep/meal planning as possible in advance...today I made a lasagna but I made my half with zucchini instead of noodles. I'm still eating what they are but it's low carb
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Hello Ladies. I was diagnosed with PCOS ten years ago but had symptoms since I was 13 yrs old. Im a 30 year old stay at home mom of 3 young children (5 and under). I have always been heavy, but Ive gained more weight after having each child (a total of 60 lbs in 5 years). I recently decided that I dont want to be like this anymore. I want to chase after my kids without getting exhausted. Im tired of all the pain in my feet (plantar fasciitis) from all the weight they are trying to support. I hate exercising but love dance so Im looking into a dance workout dvd. Im startng off with portion control (becuase I have always ate way more than I should) and increasing protein intake. Looking for as much support as I can get. How do you make a lifestyle change with family? My husband and kids are all very thin and healthy.

I have the same problem. It is so hard to change everything when you get so much negative feedback from your family. No one in my family wants to eat healthy. They want everything fried. Or all the sugar they can get.
  • cbinnd
    cbinnd Posts: 178 Member
    edited May 2016
    Nikki31104 wrote: »
    Hello Ladies. I was diagnosed with PCOS ten years ago but had symptoms since I was 13 yrs old. Im a 30 year old stay at home mom of 3 young children (5 and under). I have always been heavy, but Ive gained more weight after having each child (a total of 60 lbs in 5 years). I recently decided that I dont want to be like this anymore. I want to chase after my kids without getting exhausted. Im tired of all the pain in my feet (plantar fasciitis) from all the weight they are trying to support. I hate exercising but love dance so Im looking into a dance workout dvd. Im startng off with portion control (becuase I have always ate way more than I should) and increasing protein intake. Looking for as much support as I can get. How do you make a lifestyle change with family? My husband and kids are all very thin and healthy.

I have the same problem. It is so hard to change everything when you get so much negative feedback from your family. No one in my family wants to eat healthy. They want everything fried. Or all the sugar they can get.

I don't have kids so I can imagine how hard that would be! But when it comes to my husband who is pretty healthy (but tends to freak out if he thinks I'm trying to make things even remotely healthier), I have spent years trying to get him to go along with the dietary changes but he just won't. I then would blame my lack of self-control on him and the fact that if he gets the food (ie bread, treats, ice cream!!) I should too. It has only recently clicked in my mind that I am the one with the PCOS issues, not him, so I shouldn't expect him to eat the same as me. What I have done is sat down with him and discussed what my food intake needs to look like and why <---- this was very important to getting him on board and supportive. He now encourages me to think about what I'm eating (which is helpful at the times that I just instinctively go for something I'm used to eating) and has helped research good alternatives for me. At the same time, when he drinks soda or eats dessert, I don't make it about me. He is his own person and can choose what he wants to put in his body.

I'm telling you, food has probably been one of our biggest issues in our marriage (me always nagging him to eat "better"). This shift in my thinking has changed how we deal with my need for restrictions. If it can work for us, it can work for anyone!

When it comes to the food I cook for meals, it is what it is. If its fajitas, he has tortillas, I have lettuce wraps. Very much like treehugnmama said before. Honestly I don't really care whether he wants the food (because he would prefer KFC or Taco Bell), I want him to eat healthy so I prepare it for him that way. Of course I incorporate healthy dishes he likes as much as possible, but frankly, he has to suck it up and eat his veggies just like we all should. And he knows I do it out of love :wink:

Something to keep in mind is that our tastebuds can be reset to go from preferring junk food to wanting healthy, whole food. It just takes time. This can go for our families also. Of course, I realize I have no clue what its like to get kids to eat this way, but my mom did it with us, and although I hated it growing up, I'm thankful for it now because I know how to eat healthy.
  • cbinnd
    Cbinnd I didn't really have any....I cut out artificial sweetner as well I think that helped. I know before I'd have a diet coke and then be looking for a chocolate bar. The first day was a bit tough but that was it. I guess I'm an all or nothing gal. I think another helpful thing is the three meals and evening snack. I don't eat anything in between. .....I know that is not what we have been taught but it is a new approach with insulin resistent and is working...got be out of the "I felt like a insert sugary snack here rut"

I am amazed that you didn't really have sugar withdrawals! I have attempted a Whole30 a couple times in the past, and the sugar withdrawals were rough. Although I know its worth it. I may just have to try again knowing others (like you) have succeeded! :smiley:
  • treehugnmama
    Yes I was prepared for headaches the whole horrible couple weeks I read about bu I just didn't have it...I did have half a cup of sugar free ice cream (first sweetner I had) and all night after that I wanted bread or pasta bagel anything...so I went to bed lol fine today so no more artificial sweater for me.
  • VellWife
    VellWife Posts: 4 Member
    Hi!! I've been battling PCOS since I was 14. I'm 27 now. My fiancé and I have been trying to conceive for 8 years now. I'm trying to keep the faith but it's starting to wear and tear on me emotionally and mentally. Sinking into depression. I'm hoping to make some new friends that will encourage and support each other along this weight loss journey!!
  • theWODdoll
    theWODdoll Posts: 90 Member
    I have PCOS also, it's manageable. Would love to help with advice wherever I can!
  • treehugnmama
    I was looking for something to give that "breaded" feel to things without adding white flour or sugar. I made eggplant and chicken dipped in egg and a mixture of almond flour and parmigian cheese tonigjt and it was great!!

Anyone know what I can use in a milk based soup to thicken instead of wheat flour?
  • TravelingRae2016
    TravelingRae2016 Posts: 6 Member
    Hi everyone! I was diagnosed with PCOS several years ago after decades of doctors saying "well it could maybe be PCOS..." but then not doing any testing for it. All my doctors have given me so far is bc and tell me to lose weight. Easier said than done!

Does anyone have recommendations for how to stick to the low carb diets? I get such terrible cravings and end up caving only a week or two into the process.

P.S. Please feel free to add me!
  • nadatapryce
    nadatapryce Posts: 3 Member
    gn ladies....nots ure how to add people here but i too have PCOS and im trying to get pregnant. i am 32 and married 4 years. im working on the weight loss and i take a few pills on my own due to research on the issue. looking for a workout buddy.
  • jacbianc5290
    jacbianc5290 Posts: 14 Member
    I have pcos! I'm struggling so much lately with it, too. always looking for people to keep me accountable and keep me on track. especially people who understand how much it sucks! I lost 60 lbs but recent gained a few back since there have been a lot of changes happening :( I'm working on it!
  • ktjo1985
    ktjo1985 Posts: 37 Member
    I'm a PCOS-er too! I was diagnosed at 21, so 10 years now. I've seen about that many major fluctuations in my weight too. This time I'm determined to get rid of it before I'm diabetic. Y'all feel free to add me!
  • cbinnd
    theWODdoll wrote: »
    I have PCOS also, it's manageable. Would love to help with advice wherever I can!

What has worked for you? What does your food & exercise look like?
  • cbinnd
    I was looking for something to give that "breaded" feel to things without adding white flour or sugar. I made eggplant and chicken dipped in egg and a mixture of almond flour and parmigian cheese tonigjt and it was great!!

Anyone know what I can use in a milk based soup to thicken instead of wheat flour?

Maybe arrowroot powder (mixed with a little water first)? I tend to use canned coconut milk for milk-based soups, its very thick and creamy to begin with.
  • janice1112011
    janice1112011 Posts: 7 Member
    Nikki31104 wrote: »

I dont really get negative feedback from my husband. He just doesnt want to remove the junk food in the house just because Im making a lifestyle change. So he and the kids still have chips, cookies, popsicles. The first day of my new lifestyle was hardest for me, I wanted to eat the chips, but I stayed away. I just have to not focus on them when I go into the pantry. Portion control and snacking have always been my issues. Now that I see results with my efforts (even just after 7 days), I dont really care about the junk food.
  • janice1112011
    janice1112011 Posts: 7 Member
    VellWife wrote: »
    Hi!! I've been battling PCOS since I was 14. I'm 27 now. My fiancé and I have been trying to conceive for 8 years now. I'm trying to keep the faith but it's starting to wear and tear on me emotionally and mentally. Sinking into depression. I'm hoping to make some new friends that will encourage and support each other along this weight loss journey!!

I totally get the emotional and mental wear and tear of trying to conceive. My husband and I turned our backs on God because we didnt want to leave having children in his hands. After awhile, we stopped trying. I got on birth control to help with my very heavy periods. After 2 years of taking birth control, I stopped. Didnt use any other means of birth control because the Dr made it clear, I would not conceive naturally due to the PCOS. About 6 months after, a total surprise I was pregnant. Definitely wasnt wanting children at that time, I was in a RN nursing program. God blessed us, it just had to be on his time, his will.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    I posted for this and got zero responses :(
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member

Cornstarch works just like flour as a thickener. I don't know how it compares nutritionally though.

• SorryNameTaken
    SorryNameTaken Posts: 16 Member
    Another here with PCOS. I believe I was 12 when I was first told it was suspected and 14 when I had an ultrasound confirming it as well as insulin resistance and high testosterone. I started metformin not long ago, but had to come off because of it causing GI upset. Soon I'll be starting the extended release to see if that will be better for my stomach. Did anyone have to go on the extended release because of GI problems?

Anywho, I'm starting a whole 30 to see if that can help me kick some of my bad eating habits and give me a better chance at helping to control my PCOS.
  • alexavaughn
    alexavaughn Posts: 1 Member
    I'm 31 and farther down this road. Still fighting sugar cravings here and there and need ti watch my calorie intake.