2lb a week, is it true?

Options
Hello All,

I have been logging for over 1 month now, staying within 1200 calories with a goal of -2lb a week and trying to maintain my macros as well. However I have not been seeing a -2lb/week results. Is it because it's still early? Has anyone else experienced this or can give me some advice?

Replies

• catsdogsh
    catsdogsh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Are you absolutely positive your logging correctly? Have you seen any loss?
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Most people think they are eating one amount of calories but are eating a very different amount because they are not taking the time to weigh their food and enter every single thing that goes into their mouth. You can think you are eating 1200 and very easily be eating 1600 or 1700 and not even know it.
  • raziak528
    raziak528 Posts: 14 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I use a food scale and use measuring cups to measure everything. I have been working out 3x a week minimum and try to stay under 100 carbs and hit my protein goal for the day as well. I have lost about 3 lbs since starting. I guess my question is, should I be worried that I haven't been losing 2lbs a week, or is it a slow progression to reach 2lb/week? I have about 30 lbs to lose. I feel my body slimming down but the scale isn't budging.
  • noon1200
    noon1200 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    How much weight have you lost in the month? How often do you weigh yourself?
  • raziak528
    edited May 2016
    Options
    noon1200 wrote: »
    How much weight have you lost in the month? How often do you weigh yourself?

I've only lost 3 lbs, i weight myself around every 4 days.

• raziak528
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    How much do you have to lose? Like others have said 2 pounds a week may be too aggressive for you and your expectations may be the only thing that needs to be adjusted. I know that when I set my goal to 2 pounds a week MFP sets me to 1200 calories and tells me that I will lose 1.6 pounds a week on that amount.

30 lbs. MFP says 1.9lb a week
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've lost an average of just over 2lb a weeks for the last 6 weeks. It is doable.
    I was given a goal of 1260 but a goal of 1200 is the mfp minimum so theoretical it may be you would need to eat less than is healtht to get that weightloss.
    Dont worry too much about the speed just make sure you keep progressing towards the goal
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    raziak528 wrote: »
    Hello All,

I have been logging for over 1 month now, staying within 1200 calories with a goal of -2lb a week and trying to maintain my macros as well. However I have not been seeing a -2lb/week results. Is it because it's still early? Has anyone else experienced this or can give me some advice?

1200 is a default minimum.....that in no way guarantees 2 pounds a week.

I don't know any of your statistics, but here's one example.......

Let's say you are 25 YO, weigh 145 and are 5'5" tall. To maintain your weight (sedentary) you need 1768 calories. To lose 2 pounds a week you would need a 1,000 calorie deficit everyday. That would be an extremely unhealthy 768 calories. No way would MFP advise you go that low.

Not everyone can (or should) lose 2 pounds a week.

Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range

^^This.

It's also important to note that for those who have just started in the past several weeks, you may initially see greater losses on the scale at first due to losing water weight. The longer you continue to go, though, the more that will start to taper off.
    The reason that it's important not to lose too much too fast is to prevent things like loss of too much lean body mass, muscle, nails, hair, etc...plus, it's easier to maintain if you do it in a manner that is sustainable.
    At 30 lbs left to lose, your loss rate is good so far.
  • raziak528
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice, I really appreciate it!
  • Barb2one
    Barb2one Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1200 is really low, as I am trying to lose 2 lbs a week and have the same calories. I even exercise. Only a few times have I been under 1200. I know in my past if I ate too low of calories then I would not lose weight. Also, if your stressed and consumed this will add to not losing. I know it can be frustrating. Atleast your losing and not gaining. Try resting and drinking more water
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    raziak528 wrote: »
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    How much do you have to lose? Like others have said 2 pounds a week may be too aggressive for you and your expectations may be the only thing that needs to be adjusted. I know that when I set my goal to 2 pounds a week MFP sets me to 1200 calories and tells me that I will lose 1.6 pounds a week on that amount.

30 lbs. MFP says 1.9lb a week
    With 30lbs to lose, you should aim for .5-1lb per week loss...
  • amgaylord
    amgaylord Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be too compulsive and weigh everything, so I set myself up for losing 2 lbs a week knowing that I am probably under reporting. I have lost 8.2 lbs in 5 weeks. With 25 lbs to go.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I easily lose 2 pounds per week on 1200 per day. Something that could be taking place is that you may be taking little bites of food and not realizing it. I was doing that for a while it's so easy to take a little bite here and there and not log it. I have increased my calories to 1300 per day and I am still losing 2 pounds per week and I have a thyroid issue of low thyroid.
  • rhsdancer5
    rhsdancer5 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Also if you're working out your muscles could be gaining weight why your fat is lowering. Making it seem like no weight difference