Macro question..

Options
chey365
chey365 Posts: 11 Member
I eat a lot of healthy fats, and some not so healthy. I try to eat a lower amount of carbs only because it helps with hunger. If you are NOT following a high fat low carb protocol, is it still ok to eat more fat than the recommended amount? I eat around these macros every day. I'm just wondering should I lower my fat intake.
Thanks ahead of time for any advice.

fjge72j3iq2q.png

Replies

• llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Just me...I would not go this high with fat all the time. I tend to go over too, but it is only a few points over.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is ok to go over in fat like that. :)
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    You can change your macro percentages to anything that works for you really. It is a bit high for fat, but if it works for you, it works for you.
  • mmarie_3
    mmarie_3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Honestly depends on your goals and needs, but IMO fats shouldn't ever be higher than protein. That high of fats is not going to accomplish much. If you're in a deficit you're in a deficit but this will not help build muscle etc.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    early on someone here told me that when it comes to the pre-set macros at MFP, it's best to treat carbs as a maximum number and the protein and fat goals as minimums. I think your numbers look pretty good (but I eat LCHF on purpose ;) )
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You're doing fine. There are no "eating rules" and fines for breaking them.
  • Gun4a
    Gun4a Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It's fine if it works for you but if you want to stay full for longer and are worried about your fat intake, why not increase your protein intake while lowering the fat..?
  • kommodevaran
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Gun4a wrote: »
    It's fine if it works for you but if you want to stay full for longer and are worried about your fat intake, why not increase your protein intake while lowering the fat..?

She's already eating plenty protein. More protein will not do much besides provide more calories.

She's not even worried about fat intake, just asking about it, and it works wonderful for her. I'm all for not fixing what's not broken :p
  • Gun4a
    Options
    More protein will not do much besides provide more calories.

My suggestion was to increase protein while lowering the fat at the same time thus having the same amount of calories consumed altogether.
  • kommodevaran
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Gun4a wrote: »
    More protein will not do much besides provide more calories.

My suggestion was to increase protein while lowering the fat at the same time thus having the same amount of calories consumed altogether.

I understand, I agree. But it's all about preference, after physiological needs are met. Excess of anything won't do any more for you. Then it's a matter of taste, and what's easy to follow for the person, which in turn helps with adherence. There is no reason to lower percetnage of fat unless you're running short of any other nutrients (or you don't like the food).
  • Gun4a
    Options
    But it's all about preference, after physiological needs are met.

It is indeed :-)
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to hear I do not have to stress about going over the fat in the macros as long as calories are met.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    i agree that it's all personal preferance after needs have been met, HOWEVER, i want to say that you should obviously be keeping saturated and transfats to a REAL MINIMUM.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    mmarie_3 wrote: »
    Honestly depends on your goals and needs, but IMO fats shouldn't ever be higher than protein. That high of fats is not going to accomplish much. If you're in a deficit you're in a deficit but this will not help build muscle etc.

I have to agree here not sure why but ya makes no sense to me with what were capable of eating to have fat higher than protein for building muscle!! I eat about 100 grams of Fat a day but my protein is always over 150.
  • m_haskett
    m_haskett Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Definitely increase your protein!! Most trainers, forums, websites, etc. recommend more than you are getting....I would aim for 30% at the minimum but 35-40% is better. The first article at the bottom is great at explaining about macros and how to plan for them using the app (he also emphasizes protein!). The second article talks about what your macros goals should be depending on your long-term goal and body type. There is still a lot of debate about whether low carb or low fat diets are "better" but everyone agrees on the importance of protein! It helps you build muscle and muscle not only helps you looked toned, but also burns more calories, even while you're resting. Without enough protein your muscles won't be able to repair themselves and grow when you're working out. If you're purely trying to lose weight protein is still crucial because during weight loss both muscle and fat are lost. Having enough protein in your diet will help prevent muscle loss. So cut out your unhealthy fat sources and replace them with protein!

http://antranik.org/tricks-to-hit-your-macro-ratios-in-myfitnesspal/

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macro-math-3-keys-to-dialing-in-your-macro-ratios.html