Sweets or no sweets

Options
ac2662
ac2662 Posts: 47 Member
I know I have a problem with sugar, once I have something sweet (even fruits) I end up craving and eating sweets for days. I have had so many people tell me that I should not cut sweets out, but allow them in moderation. I keep getting told that avoiding them is too "extreme". Problem is that for me when it comes to sugary goodies all ideas of moderation go out the window. Any one have the same issue? Any advice?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You will need to figure out what method works best for you personally. Try cutting them out. Try having a small taste of something sweet after dinner. Try saving up and having it once a week. The best method is going to be the one you can stick with and there's only one way to figure that out.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If you can't control your sweet consumption, don't eat it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest reading Duhigg's book on Habit first. That book hints on how old habits can be turned around. In the meantime surely you can keep them out of the house.

I'd be curious what sort of state of mind you are in when you lose control and snack away at the sweets. What are you thinking, if anything? What are you feeling? What is the sugar doing for you?

You might try a moderation trick where you promise yourself you will drink a full glass of water between each portion of sweet. See how many you "need" then.

Another trick is to take ten minutes to eat a single raisin. http://hfhc.ext.wvu.edu/r/download/114469
  • kam744
    kam744 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I have always had a sweet tooth. What works for me is cutting down on the amount of sweets I normally consume. I literally cut half of what I used to eat and throughout the day, I watch my sugar intake along with calories to fit in a piece of dark chocolate for dessert. This has worked for me so far, and I have lost ten pounds in the past month. I may need to cut it out when I am closer to my goal, but for now I am happy with it and seeing results
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    See, habitual snacking can be a way to shut down thinking and feeling. It's an escape of sorts. You could eliminate the sweets but likely your need to shut down or distract yourself will be left unsatisfied. Getting to the bottom of the "need" can help you come up with new strategies.

For instance, can you enter a similar state of distraction through a video game, a book, a glass of wine, texting a friend, or a walk around the park?

Once you understand your triggers, you can try out various strategies until you find something that works. If mindless snacking is indeed a way to distract yourself, you may decide to remove all temptation from the house for thirty days, and try out various non-food replacements for the sweets. Once you have a new habit established, the sweets won't have the same hold over you any more.
  • ac2662
    Options
    Hi all thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. For me I think I am better off completely eliminating them then slowly adding them here and there. I was just so bombarded by people telling g me that was wrong.
  • ac2662
    Options
    @jgnatca... honestly I think it may be boredom , not sure why else I do it. I have been trying to simply eliminate them to attempt to break the bad habit. We'll see how it goes. I'll definitely check out the book as well. Thank you so much
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    In your last post you answered your own question. Very possible you're eating out of boredom. I grew up on sweets, I love sweets, I love to bake, and my favorite desserts are ice cream and French pastries. I include a lot of fruits because they have a low glycemic load. Sometimes I don't even count the calories in fruits and I still lose weight. Experts agree that if you cut out any of the foods you love it and consider them forbidden, it's going to force you into a binge.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Maybe try setting one time a day to have something a little sweet. Then when you crave you can say...just a few more hours...
  • katie22mfp
    katie22mfp Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    None if you can't control it
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    katie22mfp wrote: »
    None if you can't control it

disagree. Sometimes indulging a bit a day helps a ton with the cravings. Knowing you can have something sweet in just a few hours can help people mentally deal with it. Try it, See if it works.

I would suggest you do some serious google research though. Find some lower calorie sweet stuff. A few things if needed. Stick to it at your agreed upon time and in no time you will look forward to that food, you will have trained your brain to look forward to the treat, the healthier treat, You will begin to love it.

Its kind of all in you brain. Youll also earn alot of confidence points knowing you are able to stick to it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    ac2662 wrote: »
    Hi all thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. For me I think I am better off completely eliminating them then slowly adding them here and there. I was just so bombarded by people telling g me that was wrong.

People here often fail to deliver the message clearly. What they really mean is that many people think they won't lose weight unless they stop eating sugar, or that a cookie will magically make you gain weight. It's simply not necessary to cut them out for random unfounded reasons. If it makes your diet easier to follow, then by all means stop eating them.

I have a similar problem with nuts. I can control my portions of them if they are in the house through sheer willpower, but it leaves me anxious for more and not very happy. I decided there was no need to deliberately make things harder for myself, so I simply don't have them in the house. If I want some walnuts, for example, I would have to walk to the store for 15 minutes, buy a single serving packet, then walk back home for another 15 minutes. If I want them enough to make the trip, I have them (and would need to make another trip if I want more). Out of sight out of mind. I just make my laziness work for me.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It's too extreme to cut something out if cutting it out makes you want it more. If cutting it out makes life easier for you, then it's not extreme, but a smart move.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Original poster, I think you should try to avoid sweets altogether for 1 month and see if your cravings don't disappear. Then go from there. Who cares what others think is too extreme. You're looking for something that works for you.

Giving up sweets entirely worked like a charm for me and has for others as well.