Stopped drinking but gaining weight

Options
Hi,
I recently stopped drinking alcohol two weeks ago and started eating healthy and exercising... since I started I have put on two pounds... is this normal?

Replies

• ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    It is normal to retain some water after new exercise. Your body retains it for muscle repair. Drink plenty of water and it will flush out in a few days. However, "eating healthy" does not necessarily mean you are eating at a calorie deficit, which is necessary for weight loss.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is also a diuretic which purges your body of fluids. You're hitting your equilibrium. I also agree about the eating calories, track them for your goals.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    When I stopped drinking I started eating M&Ms so things balanced out for a time :dizzy:

You may have gained water weight from your new exercise program - my scale went up seven pounds when I started lifting weights again last fall, and it did take a few weeks for that water weight to come back off.
  • Funlovingwyou1
    Funlovingwyou1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great information.. I don't eat enough calories ... I'm just now finding that out.. but its just so strange that I wasn't exercising at all and I was drinking 4 glasses a day 5 days a week and my weight was down. I have not started weight training only walking, stair climbing and spin classes...
  • Funlovingwyou1
    Options
    ... but you would think my weight would fall off once I gave up my wine.
  • kathryn671
    kathryn671 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem stopped drinking for 8 weeks put weight on!!! I ate less exercised more it was so frustrating you would expect that cutting about 500 calories a day from alcohol out you would see a difference
  • pcpop7
    pcpop7 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Pupapupi1 wrote: »
    Great information.. I don't eat enough calories ... I'm just now finding that out.. but its just so strange that I wasn't exercising at all and I was drinking 4 glasses a day 5 days a week and my weight was down. I have not started weight training only walking, stair climbing and spin classes...

If you didn't eat enough calories hen you would be losing weight. Is that the case ?

If you are not tracking your intake you have no idea how many calories you are eating.
  • Funlovingwyou1
    Options
    I just now started counting my calories last week and funny Monday I was up 5 lbs. today I weighed myself and finally, finally... I'm down 5 lbs! Guess my body had to adjust to no alcohol... l was getting pretty bummed out there for a while.
    Thanks all for your feed back:)